From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Hunt Valley hotel to close
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:27:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:27 UTC

Forwarded from File 770:

(11) POPULAR MARYLAND SFF CON HOTEL CLOSING. [Item by Dale Arnold.]
The Delta Hunt Valley Hotel (Formerly the Hunt Valley Inn) which was
the location of many past Balticons, once a World Fantasy Con, and
present convention hotel for the SF genre media cons Shoreleave,
Farpoint and Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention will be closing
permanently at the end of October 2023. Once upon a time the Hunt
Valley Inn was considered the best hotel for SF cons in the area
with a sea of free parking that the fans loved. Unfortunately, that
sea of free parking on 29 acres in a desirable spot right off an
interstate interchange proved so attractive that a development group
bought the hotel in 2018 and although they were guarded about future
plans it is now confirmed they have created a plan for mixed use
office, retail etc. and will now demolish the hotel and rebuild.
Many fans noticed the hotel was not being invested in since 2018,
but we all hoped the grand old facility would bounce back, but alas
it is not to be.

He doesn't mention that it's also a short walk from a Baltimore Light
Rail station. I could get to it inexpensively by taking DC's Orange
Line to L'Enfant Plaza, taking DC's Green Line to Greenbelt, taking
the B30 Metrobus to the BWI Airport, then taking Baltimore Light Rail
to Pepper Road.

I attended ten Balticons and one Chessiecon (just last year) in that
hotel. I will miss it. But Chessiecon is defunct, as is the B30
Metrobus, and I stopped attending Balticon because of its hostile,
irrational, and dishonest new management.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Hunt Valley hotel to close