Newsgroups: rec.music.christian
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 17:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Crash Test Dummies
From: pbtech.maple@gmail.com (Maple Syrup)
 by: Maple Syrup - Fri, 12 May 2023 00:46 UTC

<blows off dust>

As so many of you seem confused about God shuffled his Feet, I thought I'd offer up my own musings on the song, and i guess as the album on the whole.

The whole thing is an anecdote style story, where after god made everything, and was up to his day of rest, he decided to chill out with his creations and have a picnic.
The people asked him questions about mundane things that the great philosophers may or may not have pondered, and god's response was a parable as the bible is so fond of making.

Once there was a boy, who woke up with blue hair. < this is of course, an impossible feat, but if it had happened then it would be proof he had blue hair>
To him, it was a joy, until he ran out, into warm air. < he ran, as in rushed to tell others about his seemingly impossible discovery, and then gave pause for thought >
He though of how, his friends would come to see, would they laugh or had he got some strange disease < even though he could show everyone, he wouldnt be able to explain why it was blue, or prove the source of his blue hair...>

I believe it was god trying to tell their children that should they answer these questions, mundane or profound, the knowledge of the answers would be pointless and furthermore the source of these answers would have no explanation other than the people's say so, and therefore god would be harming them by giving them "divine knowledge" that could be deemed by the great unwashed as heresay or just straight made up. Once could say that pandora's box sits in the same situation. Knowing what you shouldnt know with no way to prove how you came upon these answers (depending obviously on if its those 11 herbs and spices, or something that actually matters, like the white house alarm code) can have dire consequences and persecution.

And yeah, I see this is a response to a very dusty question, but i love the band (mostly the first album) and had just checked online to see if they were actually a christian group or something due to the amount of references to god.

disclaimer : not a member of any religion, I've yet to find any evidence of us being stardust that combs its hair... but I do like to wonder abut things.

p.s. about the rest of the album, he's mostly posing questions. One could argue both ways with the band, claiming that god had a picnic, and then another song claiming the evil lives here, another talking about witches doing nasty things to deserving thirsty players (knights and maidens). To be honest, I havent looked it up, but to me it almost sounds like they were the musings of a man who has ended up in hospital due to his smoking and is trying to pass on his knowledge in that format that is best to convey information through the ages, the story.