Newsgroups: rec.music.indian.classical
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 00:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: On bAlamuralikrishna the vidwan of controversy
From: sharmawillbe@gmail.com (S Sharma)
 by: S Sharma - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 07:39 UTC

On Tuesday, June 27, 1995 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Ranganathan Srikanth wrote:
> >TyagaRaja Swamy -->> MaNAmBuChavidi Venkata Subbayya -->> Susarla
> >DakhiNaMurty(he hails from Krishna Delta and musician of great standing
> >in Andhra) -->> ParuPalli RamaKrishnayya -->> Dr. Balamurali.
>
> > This clearly proves that though he is removed from Thanjavur
> >delta his samPradaYaa is authentic. I am not trying to compare Dr.
> >Balamurali with any one but only in his rendering can common man follow
> >the Sahitya effortlessly.
>
> Does bAlamurali get his unique style from thyAgarAja? May be!!
> Did thyAgarAja sing todi, bhairavi or bEgadA with
> flatter notes?(not western flatness)
> Or did mAnambuchAvadi vEnkata subbiah sing with lesser dose
> of gamakas or shakes?
> Is bAlamurali's uniqueness attributed to him or is it from his
> guru or from susarla gAru?
> Ofcourse there are no doubts about his sampradAya.
> For example his rendition of dEvi brOva samayamidE in chintAmani
> is lonely amongst the other lakshanAs that float around. Infact
> this pAtAntaram is from the AndhrA region and in that way
> bAlamurali is traditional. He will render it only the way he learnt it
> even if the heavens come down.
> >I am not trying to compare Dr.
> >Balamurali with any one but only in his rendering can common man follow
> >the Sahitya effortlessly. It can be argued that since telugu is his
> >mother tongue he happens to have advantage. But as one the netters
> >pointed out even his tamil diction is impeccable.(No flames please).
>
> Is the simplification of detail in music (density,richness) the reason
> for his extra pronunciation clarity or is his voice's ductility or both?
> For example vOlEti venkatEswarulu and nEdanUri krishnamUrthi both
> contemporaries of bAlamurali also are telugus and definitely know
> telugu very well. Can't the common man follow the lyrics in their
> renditions? May be they pulp the lyrics in the gamaka laden style of
> theirs!!
> Please some knowledge nettor quench the thrist of this group....
> -srikanth

Namaste this is Shree Sharma [liaf.co.uk] - I am in the dark with respect to the traditional Chintamoney and the BMK-Chintamani

Two purpose
- the "traditional-Chantamani" one stems from the Shanmukhapriya roots/parent with the accidental/anya swara D2 [chatutushruthui Dhaivata] taking a bigger load than D1
- the BMK-Chantamani starts from Ma [as a base] on C Shruti, and it sounds like Ramapriya [surprise] without R in Arohana

any help in reconciling, decrypting, or appreciating what's happening here - will be a big help.