Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 06:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 6-5-23 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - SEPTEMBER 5, 1953
From: SavoyBG@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 13:26 UTC

SEPTEMBER 5, 1953

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-09-05.pdf

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

VARETTA DILLARD (Savoy 1107)

“I LOVE YOU” (2:41) [Feist-ASCAP]
"I LOVE YOU JUST THE SAME” (2:39) [Mills-ASCAP]

Varetta Dillard, climbing to the top on the basis of consistency, follows her latest, “Mercy, Mr. Percy” with a belty reading of the oldie, “I Love You”. The thrush’s personality is zestfully thrust forward as she renders a high flying
vocal filled with vivacity. Gal sings the middle tempo bounce with a pert and taunting manner that makes for a lively and spirited deck. Orking by Buddy Tate’s ork provides the same mettlesome background. The flip, “I Love
You Just The Same”, is a slow romantic ballad soulfully chanted by Varetta. She sings with sensitivity and warmth as she assures her man of her devotion tho’ her friends think she is crazy to stick with him. Like that top deck for the boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSOvD03FwOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixCZtrX_gp0

LOUIS JORDAN (Decca 28820)

“THERE MUST BE A WAY” (3:12) [Laurel Music]
The slow oldie given a smooth and ear pleasing vocal by Louis Jordan. Good juke box material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnL7lQXD4-4

“TIME MARCHES ON” (2:25) [Willoughby-Jordan Copyright]
Jordan sings a quick beat calypso rumba fetchingly. Lyrics are chuckley with “the young get old and old get cold” the punchline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtzPn3FC8HA

HELEN HUMES (Decca 28802)

“I CRIED FOR YOU” (1:45) [Miller Music-ASCAP]
Helen Humes sings out energetically as she belts the fast beat item actually recorded at a concert. Disk has that hol low sound that indicates a big hall at which the session was cut.

“MEAN WAY OF LOVIN' ” (2:45) [Skyview-ASCAP]
Miss Humes pipes a middle beat blues with loads of personality. Gal sings it out for a peppy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDBsUG2lBeY

RAY JOHNSON (Mercury 70203)

“FLL NEVER LET YOU GO” (2:40)
Ray Johnson shouts the blues against a torrid ork backdrop. The middle beat jump is the story of the gal who wants to leave him after he made her what she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5y4M5WguU

“HOUSE OF BLUES” (2:35) [Wing-BMI]
Ray melts a feelingful and swaying slow blues with the help of moaning brass. Pleads with his gal to come back to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuQE38mU_es

CLIFF BUTLER and His Doves (States 123)

“PEOPLE WILL TALK” (2:40) [Pamlee-BMI] A quick beat bouncer with a gay touch and spiritual flavor is run through by Cliff Butler and his Doves. Tune has some go-go to it and the lead, Butler, does a top job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2So-GEB5YOY

“WHEN YOU LOVE” (3:00) [Pamlee-BMI] Reverse deck is a slow ballad dreamily performed with soft-lights appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m72qKmVdJr4

EARL BOSTIC (King 4653)

“THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU” (2:34) [Witmark-ASCAP]
Earl Bostic and his orchestra dish up the classic oldie in slow bounce style. Bostic’s saxing standout and the net result is an easy to listen to side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eQb_uqfd84

“MEMORIES” (3:00) [Remick ASCAP]
The Bostic group etches a middle tempo bounce instrumental in more than satisfactory style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKFxINsW2DY

PRESTON LOVE (Federal 12145)

“SUICIDE BLUES” (2:15) [Valjo-BMI]
Preston Love and his orchestra beat out a quick tempo blues enthusiastically with a zestful vocal by Frank Ervin. Ervin chants the mournful lyrics about “he’s gonna suicide” if she don’t come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jXu2oLWv8M

“MY LOVE IS DRAGGIN’ ” (2:25) [Valjo-BMI]
The aggregation gives a slow blues ballad the soft treatment. Vocal is easy and in the mood.

SYLVESTER SAUNDERS (Specialty 469)

“MY DREAMS ARE ALL IN VAIN” (2:36) [Venice-BMI]
Sylvester Saunders sings a slow romantic blues with a backing that is a little too loud and which battles the singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMIm5biYTXw

“I WANT YOU” (2:38) [Venice BMI]
Saunders wonders if she’ll ever come home as he chants the slow ballad blues. A better deck softly etched.

THE IMPERIALS (Savoy 1104)

“YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME” (2:37) [Crossroads-BMI]
The Imperials etch a slow romantic ballad tenderly.

“MY DARLING” (2:38) [Crossroads-BMI]
The group, with a better piece of material to work with, blend on another slow romantic bit. Lead is standout. Side should get its share of plays.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-Rl2i7Ld4

THE ROBINS (RCA Victor 20-5434)

“HOW WOULD YOU KNOW” (3:04) [Sir Music-BMI]
The Robins come up with a top notch performance as they work their way through a slow ballad. Lead and tempo switched for a chorus makes an interesting change of pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36LEXALXzW0

“LET’S GO TO THE DANCE”(3:07) [Sir Music-BMI]
Flip is a fast beat rocker with The Robins belting it enthusiastically. A potent arrangement and excellent timing make this side top drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8ZxAVnLrw

THE CASH BOX
RHYTHM 'N BLUES
SPEEPER OF THE WEEK

SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON (Trumpet 144)

“I CROSS MY HEART” (2:35) [Globe Music]
“WEST MEMPHIS BLUES” (3:04) [Globe Music]

Title should not be confused with the number one hit of about three or four months ago, Johnny Ace’s “Cross My Heart”. Sonny Boy Williamson’s effort is titled “I Cross My Heart”, a quick beat bounce with romantic lyrics.
Williamson’s stylized vocalizing and his fascinating harmonica performance makes for a provocative piece of wax. This deck should break out with lots of action. The under portion, “West Memphis Blues”, is a rhythmic middle
tempo blues with the chanter performing smoothly and again employing his harmonica to best advantage. However, for the best bet in the boxes it’s the top waxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECilJFLHxSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuTuE0Pvlqo

EDDY ARNOLD (RCA Victor 20-5415)

"MAMA, COME GET YOUR BABY BOY” (2:25) [Adams, Yee & Abbott-BMI]
“IF I NEVER GET TO HEAVEN” (2:40) [Rio Grande-BMI]

Eddy Arnold, whose styling and talents have made him an established favorite, waxes a pair of items that should prove substantial juke box lure. “Mama, Come Get Your Baby Boy” is a quick beat novelty piece voiced by Arnold, whose mellow chords make for pleasurable listening. Delightful lyrics are about a fellow who tries his hand at romancin’ for the first time and then sends out an alarm for his mama to come and get him.. Lower end, “If I Ever Get To Heaven,” is a change of pace, slow beat weeper. - Appeal is potent on both ends as the artist accompanies himself with smooth guitar work. Another two-sided hit for the Tennessee Plowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inAyS0dkRtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcNLEXqqTw

BOB WILLS AND HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS (MGM 11568)

“I WON’T BE BACK TONIGHT” (2:37) [Acuff-Rose- BMI]
Bob Wills and the boys belt out a quick tempo romantic bounce with zest and appeal. A sentimental blues item given a tantalizing vocal by Darrell Glenn. The entire group blend happily on this swingful piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2BN7a6kHQ

“B. BOWMAN HOP” (2:19) [Mesa-BMI]
Bottom deck is a fast beat instrumental ditty etched in gay style by Bob and the Playboys. A spirited item with some amusing background comments by the gang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2XzVXCTtjE

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 6-5-23 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - SEPTEMBER 5, 1953