19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958

SubjectAuthor
* 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958Bruce
+* 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958Steve Mc
|`- 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958Roger Ford
`- 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958Roger Ford

1
9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958

<1a91fb30-4fb0-4fe6-8515-1dfccb0b0f8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=38254&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#38254

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:19:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958
From: SavoyBG@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:19 UTC

NOVEMBER 22, 1958

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-11-22.pdf

COZY COLE (Love 5013)

“TURVY II” (2:28) [Love ASCAP—Hyman]
“TURVY I” (2:22) [Love ASCAP—Hyman]

Cozy Cole turns from “Topsy” to “Turvy” and hands in another terrific two-part instrumental platter that could follow in the foot steps of his current chart topper. As was the case with “Topsy”, Part II of the “Turvy” disk is the stronger half. It’s got the latin beat and some exciting drum work by Cozy. Exciting mambo entry that swings. The Part I portion is done in the swing tradition. Good cozy cole jump material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3lnbzNp4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djc3oUzYu68

THE CRESTS (Coed 506)

“16 CANDLES” (2:49) [Coronation BMI — Dixon, Khent]
The Coed label could have a good moneymaker in this sentimental happy birthday wish. The Crests have a warm blend which showcases a fine lead voice. Watch this sleeper.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFy_z5mG7HE

“BESIDE YOU” (1:55) [Winnewton BMI—Keyes, Smith]
Another good rock-a-ballad handled with good teen emotions by the group.

NEIL SEDAKA (RCA Victor 7408)

“THE DIARY” (2:14) [Aldon BMI—Sedaka, Greenfield]
“NO VACANCY” (2:45) [Aldon BMI—Sedaka, Greenfield]

An exciting new addition to the Victor diskery is Neil Sedaka, a versatile performer who sings with the best of the teen favorites and writes songs as well. His debut effort for Victor is a strong item dubbed “The Diary”, a rock-a-ballad with a pretty melody and a good romantic lyric.. Sedaka has a Paul Anka-like sound at times. Strong deck to watch. Flip, “No Vacancy” is a good foot stomper with a torrid dance beat. Top half is the one with the best potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4iuyUVG8hs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwEpdxqlZ3g

CLIFF RICHARD (Capitol 4096)

“MOVE IT” (2:25) [B. F. Wood ASCAP—Samwell]
“HIGH CLASS BABY” (2:10) [Kalith BMI—Samwell]

A dynamic rock and roll performer named Cliff Richard, who’s currently sitting pretty (in the #4 spot) on the British best seller lists with his recording of “Move It”, may find himself in the same spot on the U. S. charts now that Capitol has issued the disk here. The song is a torrid rockin’ affair that excitingly displays the songster’s over-powering vocal style and guitar technique. Could be a winner. Richard cuts up some more sizzling capers on the flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x0swGmIP2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8eYLlnHM8

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

DEL VIKINGS (Mercury 71390)

“HOW COULD YOU” (2:35) [Gil BMI—Clowney, Howard]
“FLAT TIRE” (2:26) Brenda [BMI—Otis, Dixon]

The Del Vikings, veterans of numerous best sellers in the rock and roll field, seem to have solid “come back” material in a strong new rocka-ballad dubbed “How Could You”. Kripp Johnson’s lead vocalizing is neatly tailored to teen tastes. And the group’s support showcases the lead to perfection. Winning performance to watch.. Flip is a cute rockin’ novelty about a lad with “Flat Tire” problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxsgAi6_yM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEQ8O8ggqSY

RAY SMITH (Sun 308)

“WHY, WHY, WHY” (2:17) [Hi Lo BMI—Rich]
Ray Smith, an exciting new talent with a dramatic voice, leans into a strong piece of rock-a-ballad material that’s loaded with potential. Full backdrop showcases the newcomer effectively. This one could make the grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWp3V9LdAI

“YOU MADE A HIT” (2:21) [Buna BMI—Maynard]
Ray displays his versatility as he picks up the beat here and tears thru a good rocker. Fine jump material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMss6H-SFM

GENE MUMFORD (Columbia 41286)

“STREET OF DREAMS” (1:50) [Miller ASCAP—Lewis, Young]
The former Billy Ward Dominoes lead expressively updates the evergreen. The Frank DeVol directed ork and chorus support with rock excitement. Could be a chart rider again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZX9eMrC178

“IF YOU WERE THE ONLY GIRL IN THE WORLD” (2:00) [Remick ASCAP—Ayer, Grey]
Mumford lends a swing-beat attack to the favorite. There is both a beat and classy swing touch to ork-chorus stint here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gudL_z1kMM

GRADY CHAPMAN (Knight 1755)

“SAY YOU WILL BE MINE” Bt (2:40) [Robin Hood BMI—Marascaico]
Heart-felt ballad emotions come across convincingly in the songster’s delivery of the rock-ballad. A femme chorus and organ back-up sympathetically. Side could step-out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og36DgamEB4

“STAR LIGHT, STAR BRIGHT” (2:09) [Robin Hood BMI—Marascaico]
Good middle-beat showing on a effort with a familiar rock ’n roll ring. Top-half is the portion to look out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xldl-lS1PEk

THE CHIPMUNKS WITH DAVID SEVILLE (Liberty 55168)

“THE CHIPMUNK SONG” (2:17) [Monarch ASCAP—Bagdasarian]
“ALMOST GOOD” (2:02) [Monarch ASCAP—McIntyre, Bagdasarian]

The imaginative Mr. David Seville of “Witch Doctor” fame, turns his talents toward Christmas and comes up with one of the most charming Yuletide items of the year. Titled “The Chipmunk Song”, the number features three “wrong-speed” Donald Duck like voices cruising thru a most infectious waltz tempo novelty that could create a sensation among the tots and teeners. Seville leads them thru the infectious holiday ditty in a most humorous manner. Side is just loaded with potential. Flip, “Almost Good” is a swinging instrumental handclapper that could get heavy play before, during and
after Xmas. Exciting sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zDY0DK2H8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTLPdoQSTU

MARVIN & JOHNNY (Aladdin 3439)

“IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME”(2:11) [Aladdin BMI — Phillips]
The rock and roll songsters, who have had a number of hits on the charts, lend their talents to this smooth, inviting Yuletide rock-a-ballad. Attractive side that grows on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-FJ46-jwE

“VALLEY OF LOVE” (1:55) [Aladdin BMI—Phillips]
A non-Xmas item, that could take over after holiday programming is concluded, is warmly chanted here by the boys. Soft romantic R & R ballad.

BRENDA LEE (Decca 30776)

"ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE” (2:25) [St. Nicholas ASCAP—Marks]
"PAPA NOEL” (2:02) [Champion BMI—Bodkin]

Little Brenda Lee, a popular personality with televiewers, lends her husky voice to a cute new rock and roll Xmas novelty “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree”. It’s a wholesome, easy-to-dance-to jumper handled in bright, happy-go-lucky fashion that should appeal to tots and teeners. Play should be heavy on this number next month. Watch the sales charts closely for this one. Flip, “Papa Noel” is another spirited holiday novelty with a Cajun twist to it. Happy jumper that should also attract considerable attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlZN570YFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WIIR8URJk

STAN FREBERG (Capitol 4097)

“GREEN CHRISTMAS” (6:50) [Freberg ASCAP—Freberg]
"THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT” (2:53) [Freberg ASCAP—P. D.]

The most unusual Christmas release in years is Stan Freberg’s “Green Christmas”. It’s an extremely interesting and often funny commentary (done in song and dialog) on a Madison Avenue advertising brain called Mr. Scrooge who sees Christmas only as a season in which to make money. Via some biting satire, Freberg shows how Christmas has been
commercialized. One personality on the disk asks Scrooge to let Xmas have the Xmas spirit and not the commercial spirit. Although the disk runs almost seven minutes, it should attract considerable attention. A most interesting
experiment. Flip has a chorus singing four wonderful Xmas standards (each separated by a space band) and each running less than a minute-and-a-half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5IXlfJSEi4

DEE CLARK (Abner 1019)

“NOBODY BUT YOU” (2:26) [Gladstone ASCAP—D. Clark]
“WHEN I CALL ON YOU” (2:45) [Tollie BMI—D. Clark]

Here’s one that the ops, jocks and dealers are sure to cash in on. It’s a haunting- hip-swinger, dubbed “Nobody But You”, that’s already breaking wide open in a number of r&b areas. Dee Clark is the artist taking the vocal bow and he hands in an intriguing reading—from the Clyde McPhatter school. Top notch vocal and musical assist on one that should lean way over into the pop field. Under side is a slow moving pretty. Dee has the goods.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958

<29mLM.1308758$AsA.421970@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=38255&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#38255

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc209@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:28:46 -0700
 by: Steve Mc - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:28 UTC

On 9/10/2023 9:19 AM, Bruce wrote:
> THE FIESTAS (Old Town 1062)
>
> “LAST NIGHT I DREAMED” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]
> “SO FINE” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]

We/you guys did this before, but it' d be interesting to re-visit it.

A list of those B sides that became the hits.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958

<93992f93-3ac4-44e1-ab41-ef82711e3ef2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=38258&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#38258

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:58:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
 by: Roger Ford - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:58 UTC

On Sunday, 10 September 2023 at 17:19:41 UTC+1, Bruce wrote:
> NOVEMBER 22, 1958
>
> https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-11-22.pdf

> CLIFF RICHARD (Capitol 4096)
>
> “MOVE IT” (2:25) [B. F. Wood ASCAP—Samwell]
> “HIGH CLASS BABY” (2:10) [Kalith BMI—Samwell]
>
> A dynamic rock and roll performer named Cliff Richard, who’s currently sitting pretty (in the #4 spot) on the British best seller lists with his recording of “Move It”, may find himself in the same spot on the U. S. charts now that Capitol has issued the disk here. The song is a torrid rockin’ affair that excitingly displays the songster’s over-powering vocal style and guitar technique. Could be a winner. Richard cuts up some more sizzling capers on the flip.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x0swGmIP2Y
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8eYLlnHM8

Sir Cliff's first two "A" sides here in the UK were lumped together to form his first 45rpm outing in the USA. Original flip on "Move It" was a cover of Bobby Helms' "Schoolboy Crush", The other flip was "My Feet Hit The Ground"

I no longer have the 45 but I once bought a Liberty promo of this one from a London market junk stall---credited to David Seville ----with the original title "Christmas Don't Be Late"

> BRENDA LEE (Decca 30776)
>
> "ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE” (2:25) [St. Nicholas ASCAP—Marks]
> "PAPA NOEL” (2:02) [Champion BMI—Bodkin]
>
> Little Brenda Lee, a popular personality with televiewers, lends her husky voice to a cute new rock and roll Xmas novelty “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree”. It’s a wholesome, easy-to-dance-to jumper handled in bright, happy-go-lucky fashion that should appeal to tots and teeners. Play should be heavy on this number next month. Watch the sales charts closely for this one. Flip, “Papa Noel” is another spirited holiday novelty with a Cajun twist to it. Happy jumper that should also attract considerable attention.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlZN570YFM
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6WIIR8URJk

It was 1962 before we got this one over here (same coupling)---and we've got it just about every year since then reissued without fail. And rightly so as its one of my favorite Christmas records

> THE FIESTAS (Old Town 1062)
>
> “LAST NIGHT I DREAMED” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]
> “SO FINE” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]
>
> From the Old Town stable comes one that has what it takes to break thru the hit barrier. It’s an ultra-lovely fish-beat romantic item tabbed “Last Night I Dreamed”. The Fiestas’ vocal blending is a thing of beauty, especially so in the falsetto portions of the disk. Backside, the songsters sing the praises of their sweetie on an engaging rhythm opus that also bears close watching.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-klEz0LdVI
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO4I28wLSQc

From 1955 here are the Sheiks on Federal with the original version of "So Fine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbtVcDr-s88

Re: 9-10-23 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 22, 1958

<a1f29e09-9b67-4260-881c-a1d90bd4820dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=38259&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#38259

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:24:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
 by: Roger Ford - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:24 UTC

On Sunday, 10 September 2023 at 17:28:49 UTC+1, Steve Mc wrote:
> On 9/10/2023 9:19 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > THE FIESTAS (Old Town 1062)
> >
> > “LAST NIGHT I DREAMED” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]
> > “SO FINE” [Maureen BMI—J. Gribble]
> We/you guys did this before, but it' d be interesting to re-visit it.
>
> A list of those B sides that became the hits.

There's a bundle of these out there but the most famous has to be "Rock Around The Clock" the original B side to "Thirteen Women"

Then there was "Tequila" the original flipside to "Train To Nowhere"