From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Say What?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 21:56:25 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 02:56 UTC

I'm having Spam florentine for my bedtime snack, because there was one
slice of left-over Spam in the fridge and my eye doctor ordered me to
eat dark-green vegetables.

So I looked up "Florentine (culinary term)" in Wikepedia to make sure
it meant "with spinach". Wiki says that I need to add Mornay sauce;
I'm going to use up the left-over "horsey sauce" (blue cheese dressing
with a subtle hint of horseradish) and love it.

But what's this? "Because Mornay sauce is a derivation of _béchamel
sauce_ which includes roux and requires time and skill to prepare
correctly, many contemporary recipes use simpler cream based sauces."

Bechamel sauce is nothing but seasoned-up white sauce (I clicked the
link to verify my recollection). White sauce is the first lesson in
seventh-grade cooking class! Even the student who read "cream the
butter and sugar together" and dumped in the milk without asking any
questions got white sauce right the first time!

At Béchamel, I clicked on a link to Mornay Sauce. The ludicrous claim
that "a cheese sauce during this time would have to have been based on
a velouté sauce" because thickened milk had not yet been named
"béchamel" has not yet been edited.

Turned out that spinach fried in spam grease doesn't need any sauce.

I ate some Mad Anthony horsey sauce on oyster crackers. Yum.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net