From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Who profits from wrecking the phone system?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 19:43:02 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 00:43 UTC

Recently, I got two phone spams from live people in one day.

For a week or two a while ago, real people predominated, which led me
to wonder why someone who went to the enormous expense of hiring real
people to make calls -- even if you do something equivalent to
rounding them up at gunpoint, you have to provide a bowl of rice and a
place to sleep -- why wouldn't someone who is using real people
economise on their expensive time by filtering duplicate numbers out
of the sucker list?

Any script kiddie could write a program that would filter out
duplicates quickly and with no effort, and there must be dozens of
existing programs that are free or easy to steal.

It's hard to believe that calling the same person several times a day
would generate a significant amount of income

Some of it could be explained by hundreds of people buying the same
robot and the same mailing list, but when it's the same live person,
it has to be the same spammer.

The techiques employed are *much* more efficient at disrupting
communications than at harvesting bank-account numbers. I'm becoming
more and more convinced that what they are doing is what they are
being paid to do.

But who would be better off if there were no phone system?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Who profits from wrecking the phone system?

<9DVcN.79$STLe.8@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3905&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3905

From: mailbox@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Subject: Re: Who profits from wrecking the phone system?
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 08:33:09 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:33 UTC

On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 19:43:02 -0500, Joy Beeson wrote:

> Some of it could be explained by hundreds of people buying the same
> robot and the same mailing list, but when it's the same live person, it
> has to be the same spammer.

It comes down to the question of whether hundreds of people buying
the same robot and the same mailing list _and_hiring_the_same_caller_
is transcendentally more weird than hundreds of people merely buying
the same robot and the same mailing list...

Re: Who profits from wrecking the phone system?

<s5MyH3.s5C@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3926&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3926

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 02:48:39 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 02:48 UTC

In article <lrd7nihr6ive173tk94jlbb1kbra2agbft@4ax.com>,
Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>Any script kiddie could write a program that would filter out
>duplicates quickly and with no effort, and there must be dozens of
>existing programs that are free or easy to steal.

[Hal Heydt]
Standard Linux/unix utility found on every such system: uniq.