A soft drink turneth away company.

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

SubjectAuthor
* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
+- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Blueshirt
+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Tim Merrigan
|+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Your Name
||+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Blueshirt
|||+- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
|||`* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition AfterDaniel65
||| +* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Blueshirt
||| +* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition AfterDimensional Traveler
||| `- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition AfterThe Doctor
||+- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
||`* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Ubiquitous
|| `- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
|`- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's BTR1701
|+- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
|+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Traditionanim8rfsk
||+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's BTR1701
|||`- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
||`- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year TraditionThe Doctor
|`* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Ubiquitous
| `- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor
`* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Ubiquitous
 +* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Traditionanim8rfsk
 |+* Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year TraditionUbiquitous
 ||`- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year TraditionThe Doctor
 |`- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year TraditionThe Doctor
 `- Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's The Doctor

Pages:12
Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3971&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3971

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom,can.arts.sf
Subject: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24:04 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24 UTC

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<xn0o9u4uuc875pj000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3972&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3972

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:40:45 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:40 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/

I think the extra budget was visible for all to see, and it worked.
Whatever disagreements people might have about the content of an episode
Doctor Who in 2023 looks - and feels - like a very modern TV show.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<a20ami5365j2rkt1e45404mlojot4vgglb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3976&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3976

From: tppm@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom,can.arts.sf
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:05:07 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:05 UTC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24:04 -0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
(The Doctor) wrote:

>https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/

"Despite its popularity, Doctor Who hasn't always been easy to access
outside the UK. When the show was available in the US, it bounced from
streaming platform to streaming platform, never quite settling in one
place."

Until now I've never watched it on a streaming platform. In the
Pertwee and Tom Baker eras I watched it on PBS, and since the reboot
I've watched it on the SiFi channel and BBC America, both basic cable
channels (not requiring a separate subscription after getting cable).
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk331g$3ub3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3977&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3977

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,can.arts.sf,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:51:45 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:51 UTC

On 2023-11-27 21:05:07 +0000, Tim Merrigan said:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24:04 -0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
> (The Doctor) wrote:
>>
>> https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>
> "Despite its popularity, Doctor Who hasn't always been easy to access
> outside the UK. When the show was available in the US, it bounced from
> streaming platform to streaming platform, never quite settling in one
> place."
>
> Until now I've never watched it on a streaming platform. In the
> Pertwee and Tom Baker eras I watched it on PBS, and since the reboot
> I've watched it on the SiFi channel and BBC America, both basic cable
> channels (not requiring a separate subscription after getting cable).

That is of course a US-biased article.

Doctor Who has been quite easy to access in some places. In New Zealand
it has always aired on free-to-air TV channels and recently on the
network's free streaming service (plus Sky replaying some of the
original episodes).

The changeover to only being available on Disney+ here means there is
going to be fewer viewers, and probably more people resorting to
naughty web options ... or even waiting for potential DVD releases
(assuming Disney doesn't axe those as well).

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<xn0o9uf0wclwqbo000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3978&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3978

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 22:05:11 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 22:05 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> Doctor Who has been quite easy to access in some places. In New Zealand
> it has always aired on free-to-air TV channels and recently on the
> network's free streaming service (plus Sky replaying some of the
> original episodes).
>
> The changeover to only being available on Disney+ here means there is
> going to be fewer viewers,

Possibly. Without knowing the viewership of old Doctor Who episodes on NZ
television channels it's not easy to make a comparison. I'm sure somebody
in a BBC office in London will have the details and this time next year
will know if the Disney+ model is a success for them or not. It's not like
Disney+ has no subscribers in New Zealand. Some people there will have
watched Doctor Who on it.

> and probably more people resorting to naughty web options

Why not? "The Star Beast" was uploaded to the Doctor Who binaries Usenet
group within hours of its broadcast... so I'm sure it's available in
other places online too. I'm not a policeman, go for it!

> ... or even waiting for potential DVD releases (assuming
> Disney doesn't axe those as well).

Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise their
streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think you'll see
some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like to collect
things.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk3bgv$30m2$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3980&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3980

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom,can.arts.sf
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:16:31 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:16 UTC

In article <a20ami5365j2rkt1e45404mlojot4vgglb@4ax.com>,
Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24:04 -0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
>(The Doctor) wrote:
>
>>https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>

>"Despite its popularity, Doctor Who hasn't always been easy to access
>outside the UK. When the show was available in the US, it bounced from
>streaming platform to streaming platform, never quite settling in one
>place."
>
>Until now I've never watched it on a streaming platform. In the
>Pertwee and Tom Baker eras I watched it on PBS, and since the reboot
>I've watched it on the SiFi channel and BBC America, both basic cable
>channels (not requiring a separate subscription after getting cable).

And you wonder why outside the UK why DW fans are not happy.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk3bk5$30m2$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3981&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3981

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,can.arts.sf,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:18:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:18 UTC

In article <uk331g$3ub3m$1@dont-email.me>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>On 2023-11-27 21:05:07 +0000, Tim Merrigan said:
>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:24:04 -0000 (UTC), doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
>> (The Doctor) wrote:
>>>

>https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>>
>> "Despite its popularity, Doctor Who hasn't always been easy to access
>> outside the UK. When the show was available in the US, it bounced from
>> streaming platform to streaming platform, never quite settling in one
>> place."
>>
>> Until now I've never watched it on a streaming platform. In the
>> Pertwee and Tom Baker eras I watched it on PBS, and since the reboot
>> I've watched it on the SiFi channel and BBC America, both basic cable
>> channels (not requiring a separate subscription after getting cable).
>
>That is of course a US-biased article.
>
>Doctor Who has been quite easy to access in some places. In New Zealand
>it has always aired on free-to-air TV channels and recently on the
>network's free streaming service (plus Sky replaying some of the
>original episodes).
>
>The changeover to only being available on Disney+ here means there is
>going to be fewer viewers, and probably more people resorting to
>naughty web options ... or even waiting for potential DVD releases
>(assuming Disney doesn't axe those as well).

Exactly correct!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk3bt1$30m2$15@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3983&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3983

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:22:57 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:22 UTC

In article <xn0o9uf0wclwqbo000@news.eternal-september.org>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Your Name wrote:
>>
>> Doctor Who has been quite easy to access in some places. In New Zealand
>> it has always aired on free-to-air TV channels and recently on the
>> network's free streaming service (plus Sky replaying some of the
>> original episodes).
>>
>> The changeover to only being available on Disney+ here means there is
>> going to be fewer viewers,
>
>Possibly. Without knowing the viewership of old Doctor Who episodes on NZ
>television channels it's not easy to make a comparison. I'm sure somebody
>in a BBC office in London will have the details and this time next year
>will know if the Disney+ model is a success for them or not. It's not like
>Disney+ has no subscribers in New Zealand. Some people there will have
>watched Doctor Who on it.
>
>> and probably more people resorting to naughty web options
>
>Why not? "The Star Beast" was uploaded to the Doctor Who binaries Usenet
>group within hours of its broadcast... so I'm sure it's available in
>other places online too. I'm not a policeman, go for it!
>
>> ... or even waiting for potential DVD releases (assuming
>> Disney doesn't axe those as well).
>
>Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise their
>streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think you'll see
>some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like to collect
>things.

Did you catch Bargain hunt on 23 November?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<atropos-21C794.17141827112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3984&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3984

From: atropos@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:14:18 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:14 UTC

In article <uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:

> https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/

So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
actually have enough money to make the show properly?

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk3fpl$58f$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3985&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3985

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:29:25 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:29 UTC

In article <atropos-21C794.17141827112023@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article <uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
> doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>
>> https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>
>So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
>shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
>actually have enough money to make the show properly?

I have my doubts.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<1063887285.722831124.867261.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3986&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3986

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition
After Disney Deal (& It's Great)
From: anim8rfsk@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:30:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:30 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
> doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>
>> https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>
> So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
> shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
> actually have enough money to make the show properly?

Except this was the worst episode I’ve ever seen, and the meep didn’t look
any better than Alf.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<atropos-444AB4.20052827112023@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3987&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3987

From: atropos@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:05:28 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 04:05 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
> > doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
> >
> >> https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-chan
> >> ge/
> >
> > So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
> > shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
> > actually have enough money to make the show properly?
> >
> Except this was the worst episode I've ever seen, and the meep didn't look
> any better than Alf.

Thanks for not misgendering it. Means a lot.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk44v7$1340$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3989&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3989

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
After Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:30:47 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:30 UTC

In article <1063887285.722831124.867261.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <uk2cak$hf$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>,
>> doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
>>

>https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-disney-deal-budget-effects-tradition-change/
>>
>> So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
>> shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
>> actually have enough money to make the show properly?
>>

>Except this was the worst episode I’ve ever seen, and the meep didn’t look
>any better than Alf.

Ever saw the Meep in the comics?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk4533$1340$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3990&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3990

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:32:51 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:32 UTC

In article <atropos-444AB4.20052827112023@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>In article
><1063887285.722831124.867261.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> > So this 'tradition' they refer to in the headline is basically a
>> > shoestring budget and now by breaking that tradition, they're going to
>> > actually have enough money to make the show properly?
>> >
>> Except this was the worst episode I've ever seen, and the meep didn't look
>> any better than Alf.
>
>Thanks for not misgendering it. Means a lot.

Oh ! the joys.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk4hm4$8fm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3994&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3994

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After
Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:07:48 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:07 UTC

Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:

<Snip>

> Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
> their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think
> you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like
> to collect things.

With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box time.
--
Daniel

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<nnd$1ab8300d$681ed55b@c1820fe1c2ee3fc9>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3997&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#3997

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:04:35 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:04 UTC

Daniel65 wrote:

> Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>
> <Snip>
>
> > Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
> > their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do
> > think you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who
> > fans like to collect things.
> >
> With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as
> possible, I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box
> Sets, and as it seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps
> long, maybe on a DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so
> seasons at a Box time.

Well, the UK will of course get the specials on DVD and Blu-Ray next
year, as the BBC will be responsible for those... in fact, they are
probably already in the pipeline.

Overseas I don't know who gets to release physical media for Doctor
Who going forward, as that is usually licensed out to local
distributors anyway. It is possible the Disney+ deal affects that.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk51vf$av29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4003&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4003

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 07:45:52 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:45 UTC

On 11/28/2023 3:07 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
> Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
>> their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think
>> you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like
>> to collect things.
>>
> With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
> I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
> seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
> DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box time.

No physical media release would be my guess. Why allow the sheep,
sorry, "consumer", to own it when you can instead make them pay each
time they view it? That is the whole streaming business model after all.

dirty old man.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk52vd$264f$17@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4005&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4005

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:02:53 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:02 UTC

In article <uk4hm4$8fm2$1@dont-email.me>,
Daniel65 <daniel47@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>
><Snip>
>
>> Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
>> their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think
>> you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like
>> to collect things.
>>
>With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
>I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
>seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
>DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box time.

Be patient.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk532m$264f$20@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4006&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4006

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:04:38 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:04 UTC

In article <nnd$1ab8300d$681ed55b@c1820fe1c2ee3fc9>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Daniel65 wrote:
>
>> Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>> > Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
>> > their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do
>> > think you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who
>> > fans like to collect things.
>> >
>> With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as
>> possible, I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box
>> Sets, and as it seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps
>> long, maybe on a DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so
>> seasons at a Box time.
>
>Well, the UK will of course get the specials on DVD and Blu-Ray next
>year, as the BBC will be responsible for those... in fact, they are
>probably already in the pipeline.
>
>Overseas I don't know who gets to release physical media for Doctor
>Who going forward, as that is usually licensed out to local
>distributors anyway. It is possible the Disney+ deal affects that.

Egads!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk53ag$264f$27@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4007&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4007

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Disney Deal (& It's Great)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:08:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:08 UTC

In article <uk51vf$av29$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 11/28/2023 3:07 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
>>> their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think
>>> you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like
>>> to collect things.
>>>
>> With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
>> I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
>> seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
>> DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box time.
>
>No physical media release would be my guess. Why allow the sheep,
>sorry, "consumer", to own it when you can instead make them pay each
>time they view it? That is the whole streaming business model after all.

The 21st century was yesterday!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<xn0o9vmpuds472o000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4014&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4014

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:46:05 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:46 UTC

Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> On 11/28/2023 3:07 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
> > Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
> >
> > <Snip>
> >
> > > Don't hold your breath on DVD's... Disney will want to maximise
> > > their streaming exclusivity before that happens. In time I do think
> > > you'll see some sort of physical release though. Doctor Who fans like
> > > to collect things.
> > >
> > With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
> > I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
> > seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
> > DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box
> > time.
>
> No physical media release would be my guess.

Not overseas anyway. Although I think some overseas markets are cutting
back on physical media releases anyway. DVD's seem to be a thing of the
past.

> Why allow the sheep, sorry, "consumer", to own it when you can
> instead make them pay each time they view it?

Doctor Who hasn't gone PPV on Disney+ ... yet!

> That is the whole streaming business model after all.

They tell us it's the future... and once the toothpaste is out of the
tube...

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk5acc$1ank$13@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4018&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4018

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:09:16 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:09 UTC

In article <xn0o9vmpuds472o000@news.eternal-september.org>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2023 3:07 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> > Blueshirt wrote on 28/11/23 9:05 am:
>> >
>> > <Snip>

>> > With Disney+ wanting to milk the download market as much as possible,
>> > I'm guessing no DVD's for a while ... and then as Box Sets, and as it
>> > seems each Season might be only six to eight Eps long, maybe on a
>> > DoctorActor by DoctorActor Case, i.e. three or so seasons at a Box
>> > time.
>>
>> No physical media release would be my guess.
>
>Not overseas anyway. Although I think some overseas markets are cutting
>back on physical media releases anyway. DVD's seem to be a thing of the
>past.
>
>> Why allow the sheep, sorry, "consumer", to own it when you can
>> instead make them pay each time they view it?
>
>Doctor Who hasn't gone PPV on Disney+ ... yet!

How? It is now streaming ACC X/Twitter.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<nnd$69818fea$7bb20546@7138e8443b5ca4c6>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4022&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4022

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:08:45 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:08 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <xn0o9vmpuds472o000@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> >
> >> Why allow the sheep, sorry, "consumer", to own it when you can
> >> instead make them pay each time they view it?
> >
> > Doctor Who hasn't gone PPV on Disney+ ... yet!
>
> How? It is now streaming ACC X/Twitter.

It's not PPV. You subscribe to a streaming service and you can watch
any show/film on that service as many times as you want during the
term of your subscription.

PPV means Pay Per View, which is not the case with Doctor Who on
Disney+ ... at the moment.

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<uk5ura$1fnq$9@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4025&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4025

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:58:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:58 UTC

In article <nnd$69818fea$7bb20546@7138e8443b5ca4c6>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>The Doctor wrote:
>
>> In article <xn0o9vmpuds472o000@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>> > Doctor Who hasn't gone PPV on Disney+ ... yet!
>>
>> How? It is now streaming ACC X/Twitter.
>
>It's not PPV. You subscribe to a streaming service and you can watch
>any show/film on that service as many times as you want during the
>term of your subscription.
>
>PPV means Pay Per View, which is not the case with Doctor Who on
>Disney+ ... at the moment.

Still I won't buy into Disney.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who Confirms Major Change To 60-Year Tradition After Disney Deal (& It's Great)

<nnd$5bc52fcb$6b2d8700@7138e8443b5ca4c6>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4033&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4033

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:06:00 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:06 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <nnd$69818fea$7bb20546@7138e8443b5ca4c6>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> >
> > PPV means Pay Per View, which is not the case with Doctor Who on
> > Disney+ ... at the moment.
>
> Still I won't buy into Disney.

<shrugs> Nobody said you had to. That's your choice.

I'm still in my €1.99 a month offer. I won't be paying full price for
Disney+ when the term ends, €10.99 a month is too much.