From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 1-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 17, 1959
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:29:51 +0000
 by: Bruce - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:29 UTC

JANUARY 17, 1959

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1959/CB-1959-01-17.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

CONWAY TWITTY (MGM 12748)

“MAKE ME KNOW YOU’RE MINE’’ (2:18) [Ross Jungnickel ASCAP—Schroeder, Hill]
“THE STORY OF MY LOVE” (2:14) [Marielle BMI—Twitty, Nance]

Conway Twitty, the lad who skyrocketed to fame with his tremendous
waxing of “It’s Only Make Believe” and copped top honors in The Cash
Box Op Poll as “The Most Promising New Male Vocalist of 1958”, follows
up his initial platter with a great coupling his many new fans have been
awaiting. The young star does a torrid job with “Make Me Know You’re
Mine”, a low-down blues piece that has Twitty growling and really belting
from the heels. Fabulous sound and delivery. On the companion piece,
“The Story Of My Love”, the songster chants an emotional romantic ballad.
Pretty sequel to “Make Believe”. Both are loaded with potential, but we lean
to the upper portion. Conway Twitty is here to stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66EYiTkQezI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpZUcKNjcH0

LINK WRAY (Epic 9300)

“DIXIE-DOODLE” (2:06) [Andval BMI — Grant, Wray]
Link Wray and the Wraymen, the group that caused quite a
“Rumble” on the charts recently, are back again with an Epic
purchased master that has that ‘hitsville’ look. It’s a wild,
shout filled version of what most Southerners consider their
national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEYOnTFF50

“RAW-HIDE” (2:05) [Andval BMI — Grant, Wray]
Another frenzied rocker that the crew explodes with electrifying
force. Great funky sound on both portions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSegk6i_MaQ

THE HONEYCONES (Ember 1049)

“TELL ME WHY” (2:24) [Signet BMI — Alberts, Gold]
The Honeycones, who stirred up some territorial dust with their
previous Ember outings could make it on the national level here.
It’s a hip-swinging, rock-a-ballad treatment of the Four Aces’ click
of not-so-long-ago. Watch it.

“YOUR FACE” (2:08) [Alstel BMI—D’Arenzo]
Flip is fetching up beat romantic novelty slanted towards the teen’s
tastes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuyGEvjO6V4

THE DANLEERS (Mercury 71401)

“A PICTURE OF YOU” (2:30) [Rush BMI—Washington, Perkins, Wiggins]
“PRELUDE TO LOVE” (2:07) [Medlin BMI—Webb, Abbott)

The Danleers, who rode high on the two-market,
pop-r&b hit listings with their very big waxing of
“One Summer Night”, could duplicate that success
with their latest Mercury release. Tagged “A Picture
Of You”, it’s a dandy rock-a-cha-cha, replete with a
host of teen-acceptable sounds, that the songsters
wax in money-making fashion. The fetching fish
beater on the flip has to fall in the shadow of the
top end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTLZzxqMU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPpLMrgG6x8

DON RALKE (Warner Bros. 5025)

“SEBASTIAN” (1:58) [M. Witmark ASCAP — Ralke]
Fine, original sound from Ralke’s outfit here as they growl
through a bright rock-tango combo arrangement. Under-
neath all the beat glitter is a good, Latin-styled melody,
which ties-in all the rock roaming. An instrumental offering
that bears watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI0Fqru8Tw8

"77 SUNSET STRIP” (1:54) [M. Witmark ASCAP—Livingston, David]
The title theme from the TV crime show has a blues-rock feel.
Male chorus offers the title plus sans lyric chants. More teen
interest on upper half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_b0KYSLH4s

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

THE MARK IV (Mercury 71403)

“I GOT A WIFE” (2:00) [Pure BMI—Mascari, Wenzlaff]
“AH-OO-GAH” (2:15) [Pure BMI—Mascari, Wenzlaff]

The team has what looks like the first big chart polka item
since Liechtensteiner Polka” in the rousing polka display,
‘‘I Got A Wife”. The boys, who clicked some months back
with “Shake”, throw in all sorts of lively instrumental and
vocal gimmicks to give this novelty polka interesting and
highly commercial individuality. These include a wrong
speed yapping wife, a clicking segment from the ork, and
gay vocal abandon from the songsters. A polka ditty put
across winningly. Ah-OO-Gah” has a good driving rock
sound, but is completely over- shadowed by the top-half
going's on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5x20-kaO2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBi2BdIn0KI

BOBBY RYDELL (Veko 730)

“DREAM AGE” (2:35) [Hartel Music—Day, Harris]
Rydell gives out with a dynamic ballad portrayal on a ditty
that strikes a familiar “Too Young” chord. Performance packs
enough emotional punch for the kids to take the proceedings
to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AF-i2pNXCU

“FATTY FATTY” (2:25) [Hartel Music — Day, Harris]
Tuba appropriately carries the “weight” theme here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCOF2eYDt0

The Cash Box Award o’ the Week

GENE ALLISON (Vee-Jay 305)

“REAP WHAT YOU SOW” (2:06) [Conrad BMI—Gaines]
“TELL ME THE TRUTH” (2:33) [Conrad BMI—Jarrett]

Gene Allison, who recently added “Everything Will Be Alright”
to his long list of chart honors, returns to the wax fold this
week with two more hot prospects for pop-r&b hit contention.
On one end he’s in the swinging groove as he tells the chick
‘you gotta’ “Reap What You Sow”. It’s a steady-driving affair
that hits hard. The other half finds Gene in the ballad mood
as he puts his heart into his delivery of a slow rhythmic pleader
tabbed “Tell Me The Truth”. Powerful coupling that comes off a
back-to-back winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eeouhRmdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIT-x8d8XTA

THE SOLITAIRES (Old Town 1066)

“EMBRACEABLE YOU” [New World ASCAP—Gershwin, Gershwin]
“ROUND GOES MY HEART” [Maureen BMI—Willis]

The George & Ira Gershwin classic, “Embraceable You”,
makes the rounds once again via this modernized Old
Town waffle served up by the Solitaires. And today’s
crop of teenagers should readily take to the group’s
fish-beat approach to the beautiful love affair. Deck has
all the earmarks of a hit. Stick with it. On the lower end
the boys delightfully spin the swinging romantic opus,
“Round Goes My Heart”. Topside carries all the weight tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXIwdnxH0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPtuJWJyKo

JIMMY SCOTT (King 5168)

“PLEASE” (2:42) [Famous ASD~t CAP — Robin, Rainger]
Jimmy Scott receives a most attractive pop styled choral
and instrumental back- ground for his heartfelt piping of
the beautiful standard. Tune has been re-tailored to suit
the tastes of today’s teensters. Could make big noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwYgwsVbzo

“WHENEVER YOU NEED ME” (2:58) [Roosevelt BMI — Evelyn Singleton]
Scott sings that, altho they’re parted, he’ll always love
the gal. A lovely opus presented with touching sincerity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-AZJedggE

THE IMPALAS (Sundown 115)

“THE LONELY ONE” (2:10) [Durf BMI—Lockhart] T
The Impalas, a polished instrumental combo,
displays its winning ways on this beat-filled
thumper that’s a good bet to set the teenage
hoofers in motion. Real driving side that could
catch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr0MT4PZK2U

“LOST BOOGIE” (2:50) [Durf BMI—Hernandez]
Another good instrumental showing by the outfit
on a somewhat slower affair—from the blues cat-
egory. Lotsa pop-r&b coin in store for both portions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTDJKBKofH4

THE GAY CHARMERS (Grand 2001)

“GET IN AND SHUT THE DOOR” [Slotkin BMI—Ragovoy]
The Gay Charmers head into the new year with one that could
bust out on a national level. It’s a free-wheeling rocker that tears
along at a torrid clip after a short verse intro. Jerry Ragovoy, his
ork and chorus back up on this solid money-maker. Great beat here.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 1-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 17, 1959

<62b8abf10affdc5d40b7923c324dbc5b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=42146&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42146

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:33:19 +0000
 by: Roger - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:33 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JANUARY 17, 1959

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1959/CB-1959-01-17.pdf

> THE HONEYCONES (Ember 1049)

> “TELL ME WHY” (2:24) [Signet BMI — Alberts, Gold]
> The Honeycones, who stirred up some territorial dust with their
> previous Ember outings could make it on the national level here.
> It’s a hip-swinging, rock-a-ballad treatment of the Four Aces’ click
> of not-so-long-ago. Watch it.

YouTube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-6tJwrECA

> JOHNNY FULLER (Specialty 655)

> “HAUNTED HOUSE” (2:28) [Venice, B-Flat BMI — Geddins]
> Johnny Fuller serves up a contagious novelty item that’s loaded
> with teen-slanted vocal and musical gimmicks. Delectable offering
> that’s gonna whet the kids’ appetites. Watch it.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM10AKk9YH8

The original--and the best--version of the oft recorded number. A 9 on my list in 1958

> KLARK KENTT (4 Star 1729)

> “SUPERMAN” (2:03) [Wallace Fowler BMI — Langston, Burns]
> The famed comic strip character is the topic of conversation
> on this cuter romantic novelty dished up by Klark Kentt,
> who is Superman’s (altho spelled differently) alter ego. Lid
> has some of those attention-getting qualities.

YOUTUBE CLIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEltrrj-gu4

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 1-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 17, 1959