From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 2-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 8, 1958
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:58:59 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:58 UTC

NOVEMBER 8, 1958

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-11-08.pdf

The Cash Box Disk of the Week

THE EVERLY BROTHERS (Cadence 1355)

“PROBLEMS” (1:54) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Bryant, Bryant]
“LOVE OF MY LIFE” (2:00) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Bryant, Bryant]

You just can’t go wrong with the Everly Bros. The boys have gone well
over the million mark with almost every singles release they’ve had and
are now completing a long, successful run with a two sided smash “Bird
Dog” and “Devoted To You”. Their new disk has two-sided potential also.
“Problems” is the side with the beat. Good rhythm material about a teen-
ager’s worries. “Love Of My Life” is the pretty ballad side. Touching roman-
cer that could go all the way, too. Take your pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viS6szdHPXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8eKvkJF9s

JIMMIE RODGERS (Roulette 4116)

“BIMBOMBEY” (2:10) [Planetary ASCAP—David, Peretti, Creatore]
“YOU UNDERSTAND ME” (2:12) [Planetary ASCAP—Hoffman, Manning, Markwell]

Jimmie Rodgers, who’s turned out one hit after another ever since
he debuted on Roulette, should add one more link to his unbroken
chain of smashes with a delightful new item tagged “Bimbombey”.
The tune is a light bouncy folk flavored, ditty with a pleasant ro-
mantic storyline, an infectious melody and a tongue-twisting lyric.
Side should appeal strongly to teens and tots, and when you reach
the kiddies, there’s no limit to what you can sell. Watch this power-
house. Flip is a soothing rock-a-ballad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH23Bik-6uo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUOXguYAb8

THE PLATTERS (Mercury 71383)

“SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES” (2:59) [T. B. Harms ASCAP—Harbach, Kern]
“NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE” (2:22) [A. M. C.—ASCAP—-Ram]

One of the surest formulas for producing a million selling record
is to have the Platters record a great standard. It proved very
successful with “My Prayer” and “Twilight Time” and it could mean
another gold disker with “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”. Tony Williams’
lead vocal is great. It’s beautifully showcased by a string filled, slow
rock-a-ballad tempo that at times eases into a dramatic bolero beat.
Overall effect is tremendous. Kids’ll consider this disk a must. Flip is
another pleasing R & R ballad. But it’s the top half all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZZ3u0rfjzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvDo6yqvTQ

VIC DONNA (Carlton 488)

“MY LIFE IS IN YOUR HANDS” (2:35) [Flame BMI—Donna]
Vic Donna could have a winner in this rock-a-ballad
which he chants effectively against a catchy femme
choral backdrop. Strong teen appeal should be
expected here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ENvQGouAs

“DREAM GIRL” (2:03) [Flame BMI—Donna]
Another interesting rock and roll romancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pE24YsfjSc

The Cash Box Sleeper of the Week

BILLY GRAMMER (Monument 400)

“GOTTA TRAVEL ON” (2:24) [Sanga BMI—Clayton]
“CHASING A DREAM” (2:32) [Combine BMI—Flood]

The London label is distributing nationally a tremendous new
number under the Monument banner—a number that could
make it into the top ten. The side, called “Gotta Travel On”,
features newcomer Billy Grammer, and is already breaking in
a number of territories. Tune is a familiar folk item delivered
in a good finger-snapping beat that kids can dance to. And its
got an infectious “big money” sound. Keep a tab on it. Flip is
a warm R & R ballad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiO6F5_IHJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii59LuMECo4

LLOYD PRICE (ABC-Paramount 9972)

“STAGGER LEE” (2:20) [Delco BMI—-Archibald, Price, Logan]
“YOU NEED LOVE” (2:48) [Pamco BMI—Price, Logan]

Lloyd Price, a veteran blues singer with a record of tremendous
hits in both the pop and R & B field (“Just Because” and “Lawdy
Miss Clawdy”) sounds as tho he has the biggest hit of his career
in a new number dubbed “Stagger Lee.” Absolutely thrilling blues
rocker with a gospel-folk flavor and a tremendous story about a
dice game. This deck could create a sensation in both the R & B
and pop markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPutYaGFlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvDvHTYd3ac

PAUL ANKA, GEO. HAMILTON IV, JOHNNY NASH (ABC-Paramount 9974)

“THE TEEN COMMANDMENTS” (3:12) [Pamco BMI—T. C. I.]
“IF YOU LEARN TO PRAY” (2:40) [Ampco ASCAP—Hager, Jones, Costa]

An unusual release that could be a great aid in the national fight
against juvenile delinquency and at the same time turn out to be
a record many teenagers will want is ABC-Paramount’s “The Teen
Commandments”. Featuring three of Am-Par’s leading male stars,
accompanied by a lush Don Costa arrangement, the disk was orig-
inally designed for dee jays only. But as a result of distributor
response in certain areas where the disk was made available to dee
jays, ABC is issuing the disk for consumers. Anka, Hamilton and
Nash recite a series of ten commandments written for and directed
at the teenagers. A sleeper that could be tremendous. Flip is an
inspirational choral-ork item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHmf1HRoQQ

SHIELDS (Dot 15856)

“I’M SORRY NOW” (2:00) [House Of Fortune-Storm BMI—Motola, Brandt]
“NATURE BOY” (2:34) [E. H. Morris ASCAP—Ahbez]

The Shields, a crew sitting pretty on the best sellers with a long
running hit in “You Cheated”, come right back with another strong
contender for charts. The boys excel with a pretty rock and roll
ballad dubbed “I’m Sorry”. Lead chants the lyrics with warmth and
gets terrific wailing support from one voice in the group. The results
are very strong. The Nat Cole smash of about a decade ago, “Nature
Boy”, is revived by the group on the flip. Good R & R reading that
could also make it. Solid twin threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGsCpv_AhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEU_ak5C5rA

CHUCK-A-LUCKS (Bow 305)

“HEAVEN KNOWS” (2:07) [Graphic BMI — Mobley]
The Chuck-A-Lucks bow in under the Bow banner with a potent piece
of fish-beat teenage material that could make it. Emotional love tale
with a strong lead chanting the melody effectively.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmj7k33ibQ

“CHUCK-A-LUCK” (1:50) [Graphic BMI—Brown, Mobley]
The boys work with a double-time rhythm on this end, dishing up some
swinging dance fare. Torrid hopper.

CHARLIE RICH (Phillips 331)

“WHIRLWIND” (2:03) [Hi Lo BMI—Kelly]
Phillips has come up with an exciting new find in Charlie Rich.
The rich voiced rockabilly songster displays his teen talents
on a solid rocker that drives and drives. Great beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-G_BA9SqJU

“PHILADELPHIA BABY” (2:00) [Knox BMI — Rich]
This half, another good beat filled rocker, was penned by the
songster. Multiple voicing and tricky vocal gimmicks makes
this one a contender too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZduIZuefq24

REG OWEN & ORCH. (Palette 5005)

“MANHATTAN SPIRITUAL” (2:44) [Zodiac BMI — Maxted]
The most exciting side to come from Palette to date is this unusual
instrumental rocker with a gospel theme and rhythm. Handclapping
and drum work add a “something new” quality that could send the
disk onto the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9SdL0EJrA

“RITUAL BLUES” (2:19) [Zodiac BMI—Thielemans]
A haunting, moody piece with a jazz undertone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUNgt_XWl0Q

JIMMY JONES (Savoy 1553)

“SOMEBODY BIGGER THAN YOU AND I” [Bulls Eye ASCAP—Lange, Burke, Heath]
“A CLOSER WALK” [Volunteer BMI—Siegel, Herman, Cadena]

Savoy Records could have its biggest record in years with Jimmy
Jones’ recording of the beautiful inspirational ballad “Somebody
Bigger Than You And I”. Jones, well known for his fabulous bass
vocal work with the gospel group known as the Harmonizing Four,
debuts as a soloist via this platter and turns in a magnificent
performance that should get tremendous play before and during the
holiday season. His voice fits the song to a “T”, and his rich, deep
tones give the lyric and melody a sincerity that’s hard to beat. Kids
will enjoy the rock-a- ballad tempo too. Watch this sleeper closely.
More religious material on the flip.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 2-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 8, 1958

<8d7ba05c5aaca4bc6f5c28d93b9b85ba@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=42768&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42768

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 20:18:32 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 20:18 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> NOVEMBER 8, 1958

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-11-08.pdf

> THE PLATTERS (Mercury 71383)

> “SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES” (2:59) [T. B. Harms ASCAP—Harbach, Kern]

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZZ3u0rfjzM

One of my very favorite revivals of an old standard,#1 on both sides of the pond and #7 on my 1958 list of favorites (a 10 narutally)

> LLOYD PRICE (ABC-Paramount 9972)

> “STAGGER LEE” (2:20) [Delco BMI—-Archibald, Price, Logan]
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPutYaGFlE

Heard this on oldies radio here a week or so back and disappointed that it was the "sanitized" version instead of the "bullet went thru Billy and broke the bartenders glass" original

> PAUL ANKA, GEO. HAMILTON IV, JOHNNY NASH (ABC-Paramount 9974)

> “THE TEEN COMMANDMENTS” (3:12) [Pamco BMI—T. C. I.]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHmf1HRoQQ

Gotta be well in the running for "Worst Record of 1958" if not "Worst Record Ever Made"

> REG OWEN & ORCH. (Palette 5005)

> “MANHATTAN SPIRITUAL” (2:44) [Zodiac BMI — Maxted]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9SdL0EJrA

Again a big hit on both sides of the Atlantic and certainly one of the best big band instrumentals ever to come out of the UK

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> THE CATALINAS (Glory 285)

> “WITH YOUR GIRL-YEAH!” (2:05) [Bryden, Herkage BMI—Fishman, Trester]
> The Glory label could climb back up on the hit listings in the near future
> with this delectable rock and roll novelty performed by the Catalinas. The
> artists employ a bag full of vocal and instrumental tricks that are sure to
> capture the teener’s fancy.

> “MARLENE” (2:00) [Bryden, Herkage BMI — Catalinas]
> This end is a strong entry for gal-titled, r&r laurels. It’s a quick moving item
> that brings out more of the group’s wax gimmicks.

Not the popular Catalinas from Texas who had the rocker "Speechless" these guys hailed from Brooklyn
and also recorded for the Up label two years later producing "Peanuts" (not the famous Little Joe & Thrillers song) on which they were also billed as "The Inventions"

BOTH SIDES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_epkDjk_2Y

Re: 2-12-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 8, 1958

<c0b18e0aa18dac050f2445ab4395cd75@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=42771&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42771

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:01:53 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:01 UTC

Roger wrote:

>> PAUL ANKA, GEO. HAMILTON IV, JOHNNY NASH (ABC-Paramount 9974)

>> “THE TEEN COMMANDMENTS” (3:12) [Pamco BMI—T. C. I.]
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHmf1HRoQQ

> Gotta be well in the running for "Worst Record of 1958" if not "Worst Record Ever Made"

My friends and I rated it as the worst record of 1958 in a survey I did decades ago.

>> THE CATALINAS (Glory 285)

>> “WITH YOUR GIRL-YEAH!” (2:05) [Bryden, Herkage BMI—Fishman, Trester]
>> The Glory label could climb back up on the hit listings in the near future
>> with this delectable rock and roll novelty performed by the Catalinas. The
>> artists employ a bag full of vocal and instrumental tricks that are sure to
>> capture the teener’s fancy.

>> “MARLENE” (2:00) [Bryden, Herkage BMI — Catalinas]
>> This end is a strong entry for gal-titled, r&r laurels. It’s a quick moving item
>> that brings out more of the group’s wax gimmicks.

> Not the popular Catalinas from Texas who had the rocker "Speechless" these guys hailed from Brooklyn
> and also recorded for the Up label two years later producing "Peanuts" (not the famous Little Joe & Thrillers song) on which they were also billed as "The Inventions"

> BOTH SIDES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_epkDjk_2Y

Thanks to Larry. Not awful, but not good enough for me to want to keep either side. 4 territory.