From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 2-14-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 30, 1959
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:17:03 +0000
 by: Bruce - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:17 UTC

MAY 30, 1959

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1959/CB-1959-05-30.pdf

THE CASH BOX PICK OF THE WEEK

KINGSTON TRIO (Capitol 4221)

“M.T.A.” (3:10) [Atlantic BMI—Jacqueline, Steiner, Bess, Hawes]
“ALL MY SORROWS” (2:46) [Highbridge BMI—Guard, Shane, Reynolds]

Light-hearted folk turn by the boys on “M.T.A.” is a listing answer
to their “Tijuana Jail”, currently ending its chart run. Ditty’s theme
is about a Bostonian who rebels against a subway fair increase on
Boston’s Metropolitan Transit Authority subway and makes the sub-
way his home. “All My Sorrows” is a striking, slow-beat calypso date.
Top-lid is the big track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5qU4rnky8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWQeAFxF44

JOHNNY MATHIS (Columbia 41410)

“YOU ARE EVERYTHING TO ME” (2:48) [Cathryl ASCAP—Sigman, Faith]
“SMALL WORLD” (3:12) [Chappell ASCAP—Styne, Sondheim]

Songster has again been given a first-rate ballad coupling, with both
sides likely chart sessions. Efforts are tributes to the gal and the dis-
tinctive Mathis touch gets to the heart of each. “Small World” is from
the new Ethel Merman musical, “Gypsy”. Two potent follow ups to Joh-
nny’s current chart-rider, “Someone”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbnh_SjdQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUe16O6rcYM

SAM COOKE (Keen 2022)

“OVER SIXTEEN” (2:00) [Hermosa, Kags BMI—Campbell]
“LET'S GO STEADY AGAIN” (2:29) [Hermosa, Kags BMI—Alexander]

Cooke’s light upbeat handling of “Over Sixteen” gets the nod as the
listing follow-up to his current teen favorite, “Everybody Likes To Cha
Cha Cha”. Theme concerns fella who falls in love with a gal who was
“too young to fall in love” and he himself “too young to know”. Male
chorus has an effective feature role. Songster puts a “Send For Me”
feel into the touching “Let’s Go Steady Again”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ePYirBlgzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knP4PfpiHzM

THE CASH BOX PICK OF THE WEEK

DAVE "BABY" CORTEZ (Clock 1012)

“THE WHISTLING ORGAN” (2:00) [Lowell BMI—Wood, Clowney, Kriegsmann]
“I’M HAPPY” (2:10) [Lowell BMI—Clowney, Wood]

Looks like Dave “Baby” Cortez has a smash follow-up to his chart- topping
“Happy Organ”. This one’s tagged “The Whistling Organ” and it features 2
more minutes of Dave’s sensational rock ’n roll instrumental work. How-
ever, don’t overlook the bright vocal performance that Cortez and an unbill-
ed choral group turn in on the rockin’ spiritual- flavored “I’m Happy”. Could
be a back-to-back chart affair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN5HWaaijEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_9PC3WHQnw

FRANK SINATRA (Capitol 4214)

“HIGH HOPES” (2:42) [Maraville ASCAP—Calm, Van Heusen]
“ALL MY TOMORROWS” (2:13) [Maraville ASCAP—Cahn, Van Heusen]

Delightful doings by Sinatra and boy chorus on “High Hopes”, a charming
ditty with an encouraging philosophy. Tune, from the Sinatra starred flick,
“A Hole In The Head”, can become vastly popular with kiddies and adults
alike. Can become one of Sinatra’s strongest disk showings. Songster’s at
his wistful best with “All My Tomorrows”, a ballad pleaser from the same pic.
Natural for the jocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGUxSgvD2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5qMan4cj4

BRUCE CHANNEL (Teen Ager 601)

“RUN, ROMANCE, RUN” (1:55) [Bluebonnet BMI — Channel]
A country-flavored middle-beat ballad stint that in performance and opus rates attention.
Channel has something of a Johnny Cash delivery, and is admirably heard on the above
board number. A deck that can make chart visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEoITYC6rgg

“DON’T LEAVE ME” (2:37) [Bluebonnet BMI—Channel]
Tender and touching slow-beat rockaballad essay on this end. Fella has talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFliRD1LflA

BO DIDDLEY (Checker 924)

“THE GREAT GRANDFATHER” (2:40) [Arc BMI—McDaniel]
“CRACKIN’ UP” (2:41) [Arc BMI—McDaniel]

Chances are Bo Diddley will have a pair of dual-mart chart-riders on his hands
in the weeks to come. On the topside Bo leads off with one of the most capti-
vating pressings to come along in quite awhile. Tabbed “The Great Grandfather”
it’s a haunting tale of a pioneer ancestor from the covered-wagon days. Diddley’s
warbling to the slow, steady finger snapping beat is just fabulous. The chanter’s
equally effective with “Crackin’ Up”, the rock-a-cha-cha blueser on the other half.
Terrific vocal and musical showcase rounds out these two winners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK66zcmYJGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvP-tDvZuiQ

THURSTON HARRIS (Aladdin 3456)

“PARADISE HILL” (2:33) [Eastwick BMI—Ellington, Pearson]
Strong beat-ballad date by the songster. Tune is the lovely oldie, with
Harris and the ork-chorus reading in click style. Bears watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aixRZl7Sag

“SLIP-SLOP” (2:30) [Obie BMI — Blackwell]
Interestingly arranged, deliberate finger-snapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAeRNNzUWM

THE CASH BOX PICK OF THE WEEK

ANNETTE (Vista 339)

"LONELY GUITAR” (2:30) [Walt Disney ASCAP-Dodd]
“WILD WILLIE” (1:52) [Wonderland—Music World BMI—Sherman, Sherman]

As a result of reaction to Annette singing “Lonely Guitar” during
her TV appearances Vista has chosen to re-release the tune with
a new coupler, “Wild Willie”; it’s easy to see why. The captivating,
dual- tracked mood affair is one that grows on you with each new
listen. “Wild Willie” is a delectable rafter-shaker in the “Tall Paul”—
“Jo-Jo The Dog-faced Boy” vein. The Camarata-led ork and choral
background shines on both ends. Should be a big two-sider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOcH_ZkW8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0R9NNy_EaM

GRADY CHAPMAN (Imperial 5591)

“TELL ME THAT YOU CARE” (2:08) [Robin Hood BMI—Marascalco]
A middle-beat romancer that offers the teeners much to listen for. Chapman
delivers the opus in pro style and the combo-chorus stint is an infectious,
Latin-rock affair. Can go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCoVQni_zM8

“GARDEN OF MEMORIES” (2:11) [Commodore BMI—Cox]
Chapman gets to the teen heart of this feelingful sentimental. Good sounding
side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTbejraoRI

CLYDE MCPHATTER (Atlantic 2028)

“SINCE YOU’VE BEEN GONE” (2:26) [Aldon BMI — Sedaka, Greenfield]
McPhatter effectively decks out a potent, dual-mart lover’s lament that
rides along at a quick, “Gotta Travel On” clip. Strong piece of material
on a deck that has that big hit look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3KS-QhegAA

“TRY TRY BABY” (2:35) [Progressive BMI—Ertegun, Wexler]
This thumping romantic pleader leans more to the r&b dept. Terrific vocal
and instrumental support on a back-to-back chart contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daohgCp9S4M

JOHN FRED & PLAYBOYS (Montel 2001)

“TO HAVE AND TO HOLD” (2:13) [Red Stick BMI—Bryan, Montel, Gourrier]
John Fred & the Playboys, after kicking up a heap of territorial action with
“Shirley”, come thru with an excellent follow-up via this lovely fish-beat
romancer. Could move way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxnoPZpD6Ys

“MIRROR, MIRROR (On The Wall)” (2:10) [Red Stick BMI—Bryan, Monte, Gourrier]
Inviting calypsoish love affair on this half can also attract loads of attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7JR6aJENg

THE BOBBETTES (Atlantic 2027)

“DON’T SAY GOODNIGHT” (2:17) [Medlin, Progressive BMI —Obrecht, Stern]
The Bobbettes, scored big with “Mr. Lee,” could again move into the national
spotlight with their latest Atlantic effort. It’s a fish beat romancer that has
the gals at their vocal finest. Keep it in view.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 2-14-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 30, 1959

<d20b4924cdc955987dfd47a5815f527c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=42807&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42807

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 2-14-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 30, 1959
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:44:05 +0000
 by: Roger - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 20:44 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MAY 30, 1959

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1959/CB-1959-05-30.pdf

> BRUCE CHANNEL (Teen Ager 601)

> “RUN, ROMANCE, RUN” (1:55) [Bluebonnet BMI — Channel]
> A country-flavored middle-beat ballad stint that in performance and opus rates attention.
> Channel has something of a Johnny Cash delivery, and is admirably heard on the above
> board number. A deck that can make chart visit.

> https://www.youtube.com/w“DON’T LEAVE ME” (2:37) [Bluebonnet BMI—Channel]
> Tender and touching slow-beatch?v=YEoITYC6rgg

Re-released in 1962 on Manco label following the huge hit on both sides of the pond "Hey Baby".

> WAYLON JENNINGS (Brunswick 55130)

> “JOLE BLON” (1:50) [Starrite BMI—Dee]
> Interesting, infectious issue, with Jennings reciting in a French-Bayou lingo.
> Combo drive is excellent. Side has lots of rock snap and could show-up.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAoGYcKkjE

Produced by Buddy Holly who also played rhythm guitar on the session

> KING KARL (Excello 2157)

> “SO IN NEED OF SOMEONE” (2:33) [Excellorec BMI—Trahan, Miller]
> Karl quietly laments his loneliness to an easy-going fish-beater.
> Sweet side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNfhyshkUHw

Very derivative song sound quality could be better I know (sorry)

You can see what "Karl" looked like here

https://bobcorritore.com/photos/vintage-king-karl-photo/