From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JULY 24, 1948
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:52:09 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:52 UTC

JULY 24, 1948

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-07-24.pdf

RACE DISK O' THE WEEK

NELLIE LUTCHER (Capitol 15148)

"Lake Charles Boogie" (2:28)
"Cool Water" (2:32)

Ooh, that Lutcher gal! Right down the line with a tune out of the great album
of her songs presented a few months back, “Lake Charles Boogie,” singin’ and
playin’ the very life out of it, to mold it into one of the hottest pieces of wax
you’ve ever heard. Ramblin’ over the 88’s with the deftness of a hummingbird
flitting from flower to flower. Tying it all up into a grand, smashing windup with
her rasping, gasping warbling that tickles toes and teases coins out of pockets.
Nellie sells her home town, Lake Charles, La., into one grand hunk of shellac.
A natural for any spot. Even after you’ve heard the tune, your ears will still be
ringin’ with “Lake Charles.” On the flip, the gal comes back with an old Western
standard, “Cool Water,” that also takes on the Lutcher beat and winds up being
a new kind of tune, as only Nellie can gasp the lyrics. It’s one of the most unique
renditions of this great standard. If you’re looking for wax that’ll grab coin—here ’tis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMNydVE57M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpRb63Sm4L4

GRACE SMITH BAND (National 9046)

"Baby, You're Just My Speed" (2:50)
"Competition Blues" (2:59)

Here’s a gal that’s hotter than hot and bluer than blue and that warbles and shouts
her effective lyrics in the old time manner with plenty of dash and effectiveness.
Grace Smith is gonna make ’em dig down into their pockets for more and still more
coins. With good support from her band, and with a grand, confident manner, the
gal really “sells” her songs. She opens with “Baby, You’re My Speed,” and carries the
lyrics and the melody right over the goal line. On the flip, with “Competition Blues,”
Grace adds more of her style into the song and brings it to a head with an old time
smashing finish to make up a platter that 11 keep ’em jamming nickels into phonos.
It’s a disk that’s TNT where they like their music hot. Latch on.

BUSTER BENNETT BAND (Columbia 30132)

"Stop That Walking Baby" (2:34)
"Play Those Riffs" (2:57)

Buster busts wide open with one of the best hunks of wax heard in many a day. He
hollers at that * *io good woman” hot and wide open. It’s long and blue. It’s the
side that’ll win lots of coin. It’s got that beat that starts toes tappin’ and bo-
dies swayin’. Blue, low-down rhythm that’s sure to jam phonos with coin. On the
flip, Buster and the band go into one of their riff moods with “Play Those Riffs”
and Buster does a terrific vocalizing job. It’s a toss up which side you’ll like
best. But, it’s no toss up that either side is gonna get coin for juke boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZNkPfOw8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-2CtyV1kE

PAUL GAYTEN & TRIO (DeLuxe 3177)

"Women These Days" (2:47)
"Back Trackin'" (2:25)

Paul, with grand backing from the trio, gives all his many fans one of those
low down sides in “Women These Days” that’s sure to triple his following.
The kind of vocalizing which has made Paul so popular in so many spots, is
brought out here with grand effect. It’s Paul Gayten on the top side as far
as we’re concerned for lots of coin from fans everywhere. Here’s a disk that’s
simply loaded with soft singin’ sentiment which wins coins from the tightest
of ’em. On the flip, Paul and the Trio give a pure instrumental, “Back Trackin’,”
that doesn’t back track in artistry. It’s grand material. Our money’s on the
topside. Paul clicks with “Women These Days.” Get an earful of this platter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4D1Ju5dTO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lrS2YutSM

LEON EASON (Whirlaway 75)

"Hot Dog" (2:40)
"Beverly" (2:15)

Ode to America’s traditional re-past the “Hot Dog” done in a boogie beat
with Leon Eason rasping the clever wordage in very effective manner.
Backing by Red Lincoln’s Madcaps makes this one of the hottest of the
disks to be presented during this torrid month. Lots of instrumental that’s
way above the ordinary. On the flip, “ Beverly,” Red Lincoln’s Madcaps go
into the sweeter, more romantic mood, with Leon rasping out the wordage
with all he has on the ball. It makes up into one of the few platters with
lots of possibilities for spots everywhere.

https://archive.org/details/78_hot-dog_leon-eason-red-lincolns-madcaps-mcallister-eason_gbia0192016a
https://archive.org/details/78_beverly_leon-eason-red-lincolns-madcaps-eason_gbia0192016b

BILLY ECKSTINE (National 9049)

"Sophisticated Lady" (2:54)
"Jitney Man" (2:46)

Billy Eckstine spooning the wordage of a ballad is like putting money in the bank in location after
location thruout the nation where his fans eagerly await his releases. With “Sophisticated Lady”
Billy does one of his usual grand jobs, with the orchestra supporting his slow, romantic artistry
with instrumental effectiveness. It’s Billy Eckstine as you like him all thru the top side of this
platter. On the flip, Billy and the orchestra try a speedy bop tune, with Billy coming in for a
chorus. We’re playing it on the nose for the top side. Here’s an Eckstine you can’t afford to
pass up. Get an armful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33eMtOGe0i0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEbTVLuc3dM

Re: 3-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JULY 24, 1948

<46b5d0274e39d7490bbc25032ff62d03@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43071&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43071

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JULY 24, 1948
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:57:45 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JULY 24, 1948

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-07-24.pdf

> GRACE SMITH BAND (National 9046)

> "Baby, You're Just My Speed" (2:50)
> "Competition Blues" (2:59)

> Here’s a gal that’s hotter than hot and bluer than blue and that warbles and shouts
> her effective lyrics in the old time manner with plenty of dash and effectiveness.
> Grace Smith is gonna make ’em dig down into their pockets for more and still more
> coins. With good support from her band, and with a grand, confident manner, the
> gal really “sells” her songs. She opens with “Baby, You’re My Speed,” and carries the
> lyrics and the melody right over the goal line. On the flip, with “Competition Blues,”
> Grace adds more of her style into the song and brings it to a head with an old time
> smashing finish to make up a platter that 11 keep ’em jamming nickels into phonos.
> It’s a disk that’s TNT where they like their music hot. Latch on.

BOTH SIDES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOw-HBOvoXA

Re: 3-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JULY 24, 1948

<1a956480acd441decc015a6b54184808@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43075&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43075

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 23:59:45 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 23:59 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JULY 24, 1948

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-07-24.pdf

>> GRACE SMITH BAND (National 9046)

>> "Baby, You're Just My Speed" (2:50)
>> "Competition Blues" (2:59)

>> Here’s a gal that’s hotter than hot and bluer than blue and that warbles and shouts
>> her effective lyrics in the old time manner with plenty of dash and effectiveness.
>> Grace Smith is gonna make ’em dig down into their pockets for more and still more
>> coins. With good support from her band, and with a grand, confident manner, the
>> gal really “sells” her songs. She opens with “Baby, You’re My Speed,” and carries the
>> lyrics and the melody right over the goal line. On the flip, with “Competition Blues,”
>> Grace adds more of her style into the song and brings it to a head with an old time
>> smashing finish to make up a platter that 11 keep ’em jamming nickels into phonos.
>> It’s a disk that’s TNT where they like their music hot. Latch on.

> BOTH SIDES
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOw-HBOvoXA

Thank you, Lawrence. Are you ready for St. Pat's Day?