From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 7, 1953
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:18:24 +0000
 by: Bruce - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:18 UTC

NOVEMBER 7, 1953

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-11-07.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

EARTHA KITT (RCA Victor 20-5502; 47-5502)

“SANTA BABY” (3:22) [Trinity BMI—T. Springer, P. Springer, Javits]
“UNDER THE BRIDGES OF PARIS” (2:40) [Hill & Range BMI—Cochran, Scotto, Rodor]

The SEXational Eartha Kitt has, in her latest release, what looks like a definite #1 smash.
Not only does the thrush have a strong bid for a tremendous seller, but this record could
make her the hottest name in the wax world. It may sound as though we’re going over-
board on this deck, but one listen should convince everyone that the disk is all that we
say it is. It’s a great novelty labelled “Santa Baby.” And it could also rate as the big Christ-
mas song of this year. The lyrics to this ditty are the “most.” And the presentation, done
in an innocent yet sexy manner, is the greatest. Adding to this top grade side is a wonder-
ful backdrop by Henri Rene and a male chorus that make the thrush stand out so well. All
we can say is that “Santa Baby” is a must. Flip features Eartha on a lovely romantic read-
ing of a pretty waltz tagged “Under The Bridges of Paris.” It’s a real smooth delivery with
more of the colorful Kitt gimmicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQUTBpKil8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_vi5ksx6o

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

THE CLOVERS (Atlantic 1010)

“THE FEELING IS SO GOOD” (2:45) [Marvin ASCAP Singleton, Nuggy]
“COMIN’ ON” (2:41) [Progressive BMI—Nugetre]

The Clovers, bidding for their eight consecutive hit, come through with a piece
of wax that could be their best effort to date. The boys are really hot as they
belt out the middle beat jump titled, “The Feeling Is So Good,” with a riff that
is different and infectious. The long drawn out play on the title lends spice to
the etching. A socko side that will catch an immediate reaction on exposure.
The flip deck, “Comin’ On,” is a slow bounce blues mournfully portrayed by the
group. A better than average deck but no competition for the upper lid as seen
from this corner.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIpRfJZ3JFA

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

THE DU DROPPERS (RCA Victor 20-5504)

“DON’T PASS ME BY” (2:41) [Park Ave. BMI—Jack Allen]
“GET LOST” (2:55) [Park Ave. BMI—Bob Konegie]

The Du Droppers, who are no strangers to hits, come up with a pair that l look like
two clix for the price of one plate. The upper side, “Don’t Pass Me By,” is a slow, but
lively blues, presented with a feeling of sadness and a leaning toward the spiritual
kick. Treatment is different and is a certain seller. The reverse deck, “Get Lost,” is a
hearty quick beat bounce in which the boys tell the gal off in no uncertain terms. The
punch line, “drop dead,” which ends the etching is brought in with such perfect timing
that it is bound to bring a definite reaction. Both sides and let the public decide.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HFD0yvCPZ4

LITTLE ESTHER (Decca 48305)

“STOP CRYIN’ ” (2:40) [Motion Music—McCoy, Lovett]
Little Ether does a grand job on a slow emotional blues. Gal
sings with much feeling against a soft instrumental backing.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUsztvd19cE

“PLEASE DON’T SEND ME” (2:58)
Flip is a change of pace. Little Esther belts a quick beat bounce
in which she pleads not to be sent away as she has no place to
go. Side moves.

DIXIE HUMMING BIRDS (Peacock 1722)

“LET’S GO OUT TO THE PROGRAMS” (2:43) [Lion BMI Moore]
In an unusual waxing the Dixie Humming Birds, with Ira Tucker handling the leads,
do a straight impersonation of several of the nation’s leading gospel groups and their
famous tunes. Intro of each group is done with narration type chanting to rhyme. A
different and top flight effort that should garner heavy action. Could follow the pattern
of The Bells Of Joy’s “Let’s Talk About Jesus” and show up in the “Hot” charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE6bF4jszOU

“I’LL KEEP ON LIVING AFTER I DIE” (2:47) [Lion BMI—Moore]
The group etches a slow religious item movingly. A good religious deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIsyc6P_Mvk

GLADYS HILL (Peacock 1618)

“DON’T TOUCH MY BOWL” (2:35)
New gal on the Peacock label belts a quick tempo story of a gal telling
her man off. Thrush is of the full voiced school. Disk should make noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9oM7TF6vX0

“PRISON BOUND” (2:35)
Miss Hill chants a slow blues on the under side. Gal is bound for prison
and sings “I’ll have to do without your lovin’ for five long years.”

LINDA HAYES (Hollywood 1003)

"YOURS FOR THE ASKING” (2:24) [Assoc. Hollywood BMI L. Hayes]
Linda Hayes delivers a middle tempo blues with a potent and sexy vocal.
Tho they’ll never be more than friends she’ll wait with the hope that he’ll
change his mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QYu3RLfZzo

“TAKE ME BACK” (2:30) [Assoc. Hollywood BMI—Hayes, Robertson, Tucker]
Gal sings a tune that will be familiar to r & b fans with a new set of lyrics.
Gal an impressive chantress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UROJi5OMVc

LITTLE CEASAR (RPM 393)

“TRIED TO REASON WITH YOU BABY” (2:41) [Mod. Music BMI—Ceasar]
Little Ceasar sings the rhythmic quick moving bounce with gusto. Lyrics punchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka_A80d3v7o

“CHAINS OF LOVE HAVE DISAPPEARED” (2:40) [Mod. Music BMI—Ceasar]
Little Ceasar sadly sings a slow beaty blues. Two okeh decks.

CHOCOLATEERS (Parrot 781)

“PECKIN” (2:38)
The Chocolateers sing a rhythmic middle tempo novelty describing
the “Peekin’’ dance. A gay and infectious side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y78y4nyHUJE

“BARTENDER BLUES” (2:41)
A talky novelty with an exchange of insults and yaks. Scene of
operation takes place in a bar. A mirthful hunk of wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bIymNhZA2Y

THE EBONAIRES (Aladdin 3211)

“BABY, YOU’RE THE ONE” (3:14) [Dayton ASCAP—Brooks, Walsh]
The Ebonaires dish up a middle tempo bounce in which the lead unhappily
sings of his emotional state resulting from a set to with this lady love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKweYAsHpE

“THREE O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING” (2:50) [Feist ASCAP—Robledo, Terris]
Currently revived via Monte Kelly’s lush instrumental, The Ebonaires make
a pitch for the R & B market. A lovely tune with a sweet and mellow treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqhCGm8eUP4

BUDDY JOHNSON ORCHESTRA (Mercury 70251)

“A—12” (3:14) [Sophisticate BMI—Johnson]
The Buddy Johnson ork runs rampant with a wild quick beat jump. Exciting and good
listening.

https://archive.org/details/78_a-12_buddy-johnson-and-his-orchestra-buddy-johnson_gbia0075418a

“I’M JUST YOUR FOOL” (2:41) [Sophisticate BMI-Johnson]
A slow blues with a lush vocal by Ella Johnson. Gal is a fool to take his mess and still
love him, but she does. Two good sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3D4euylJM

LOUIS JORDAN AND HIS TYMPANY FIVE (Decca 28883)

“I WANT "YOU TO BE MY BABY” (2:55) [Victory — Jon Hendricks]
Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five beat out an infectious jump with
the master bopping the infectious lyrics in chuckly fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97UXTRlkDvs

“YOU KNOW IT TOO” (2:48) [American Academy of Music Warren, Jordan]
Another gay ditty with Jordan again pitching in with a top flight job.
Musicianship also must be mentioned for credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GphCTiorA

BULLSEYE OF THE WEEK

JIM REEVES (Abbott 148)

“BIMBO” (2:43) [Fairway BMI—Rod Morris]
“GYPSY HEART” (2:24) [American BMI—Rhodes, Reynolds, Dean]

Jim Reeves’ latest release is an occasion for the ops to open up their
ears and listen. “Bimbo” is a delightfully refreshing tale about a little
lad with a grown-up mind. Reeves delivers a stellar presentation on a
tune that has all the zip and charm to break the charts in a big way.
Bottom portion, “Gypsy Heart,” is a fast moving item on which the
artist sparkles vocally. Lyrics tell of a roamin’, romancin’ heart that
can’t settle down. Louisiana Hayride Band supports in engaging fashion
on two sides that spell a-c-t-i-o-n for the jukes and retail outlets.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 7, 1953

<003df416d5a2394b6230eb3f39c919e3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43130&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43130

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 7, 1953
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 14:24:47 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 14:24 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> NOVEMBER 7, 1953

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-11-07.pdf

> LITTLE CEASAR (RPM 393)

> “CHAINS OF LOVE HAVE DISAPPEARED” (2:40) [Mod. Music BMI—Ceasar]
> Little Ceasar sadly sings a slow beaty blues. Two okeh decks.

YT link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSO4U6DQwE

Re: 3-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - NOVEMBER 7, 1953

<0939e8ba1249954e69275a98a21732c3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43131&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43131

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:09:20 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:09 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> NOVEMBER 7, 1953

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-11-07.pdf

>> LITTLE CEASAR (RPM 393)

>> “CHAINS OF LOVE HAVE DISAPPEARED” (2:40) [Mod. Music BMI—Ceasar]
>> Little Ceasar sadly sings a slow beaty blues. Two okeh decks.

> YT link

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSO4U6DQwE

Not great, but worth keeping a copy.