From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 12, 1954
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 08:04:40 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 08:04 UTC

JUNE 12, 1954

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-06-12.pdf

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

BILLY WARD AND HIS DOMINOES (King 1364)

“THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN” (2:30)
“LONESOME ROAD” (2:00)

Billy Ward and his Dominoes latch on to the first r & b interpretation of the current pop
excitement, “Three Coins In The Fountain.” The Ward reading is an emotional and highly
dramatic treatment and is certainly different than any of the numerous versions already
offered to the pop market. A choral like beginning and a thrilling tag round out a solid
etching that should be a really big one. In the flip, the group, swings through the stand-
ard “Lonesome Road” in a manner that could establish this as another hit. The group is
hitting those crazy notes on this deck and we look for a two sided chart buster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X10oIuPnqh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GC-iNEraUA

DINAH WASHINGTON (Mercury 70392)

“BIG LONG SLIDIN’ THING” (2:40) [Hollenden BMI]
“(NO, NO, NO) YOU CAN’T LOVE TWO” (2:43) [Tamasa BMI]

Dinah Washington plays on words in a slow up tempo blues called, “Big Long Slidin’ Thing.”
The story of her man who plays the trombone (the big long sliding thing) doesn’t leave too
much to the imagination. Dinah can make the innocent lyrics mean what you think they
mean. Should make good juke box material. The flip, “No, No, No, You Can’t Love Two,” is
a middle tempo bounce in which Dinah tells you, as only Dinah can, that you can love only
one. Playing on the side is bound to lead to trouble. Dinah’s tuneful moralizing entertaining
fare. Top deck should move out fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hb7P2w1dN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfXLKkkrqI

SAM ‘HIGHPOCKETS' HENDERSON (Groove 0021)

“GO, MOTHER, GO” (2:06) [Campbell BMI—S. Henderson, J. Henderson, Lieber, Stoller]
Highpockets and his group rook out a souped up version of the old Mother Hubbard
nursery character. Side drives but seems just a little too restrained for the type of
tune it is.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPs-vitxmGA

“TOO BAD SWEET MAMA” (2:14) [S. Henderson, J. Henderson, Lieber, Stoller]
This character is really “no good.” He takes his baby for all she was worth and then
gives her the brush. Cute bouncer that comes out the better deck.

IKE TURNER (Flair 1040)

“CUBANO JUMP" [(2:46) [Flair BMI—Turner]
A happy Latin tempo instrumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-9uTtm_q0

“LOOSELY” (2:41) [Flair BMI-—Turner]
Similar Latin tempo instrumental middle beat that stirs up the sluggish bloodstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAo5bFgVvE

ARNETT COBB (Atlantic 1031)

“NIGHT” (2:33) [Progressive BMI—Cobb]
The initial Cobb release on the Atlantic label is a solid bounce instrumental
featuring the exciting sax work of the star. A driving side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIgTP6RSGx0

“NO CHILD NO MORE” (2:21) [Progressive BMI—Calhoun, Nugetre]
Flip is a middle tempo rock with cute lyrics chanted by chorus. The Cobb horn
makes it a flavorsome wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZ2Hav_zo0

ELDER CHARLES BECK (Chess 1567)

"I'M WALKING WITH JESUS AT MY SIDE” (2:40) [Pace]
Deep voiced Elder Charles Beck chants a slow rhythmic spiritual
with simple organ and rhythm section backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztdvKt8MPc

“WHEN” (2:40) [Moyer]
The flip is a religious theme set to a pretty melody. Light bounce
treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8wC0bvr5k

JUNIOR DENBY (King 4717)

“I’M STILL LONESOME” (2:43) [Jay & Cee BMI—Herman Denby]
Junior Denby etches a slow, soft, sorrowful blues. After hours type disk.

https://youtu.be/L3_R-n64MPo?t=11

“WITH THIS RING” (2:42) [Jay & Cee BMI—Herman Denby]
Denby sings a slow blues on the flip. Lyrics of sentimental wedding vows.

https://youtu.be/Een818OE5Uc?t=9

RICHARD LEWIS (Aladdin 3239)

“LET’S LOVE TONIGHT” (2:10) [Aladdin—Lewis and Blackwell]
The Richard Lewis band, with Dolores Gibson on the vocal, belts
a rocking up-beat. Side has drive.

“WISH YOU LOVE” (2:50) [Aladdin—Toombs]
Dolores Gibson does a strong vocal as she sings a slow romantic
blues. Material shows off the chantress’ vocal talents to better
advantage.

T-BONE WALKER (Imperial 653)

“WANDERIN’ HEART” (2:25) [Commodore BMI — Vida Lee]
The blues master wails a slow dispirited romantic ditty. Typical T- Bone waxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFwHsNlos8w

“BYE, BYE, BABY” (2:32) [Commodore BMI—A. Walker]
Walker steps up the pace on this one and he beats out a bouncer. Instrumental
backdrop of the foot tapping type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfJIenDTP70

EDDIE “TEX” CURTIS (Gee 7) ©

“THE CANDY MAN” (2:58) [Eddie “Tex” Curtis]
A cute bounce tune is infectiously delivered by Curtis.
Arrangement and tune strong. Colorful deck.

“THE GIRL I LEFT BEHIND” (2:45) [Eddie “Tex” Curtis]
“Tex” sings a plaintive blues ballad loaded with heart.
The chanter sings with feeling and is backed in strong
style instrumentally.

FRANK MOTLEY (Josie 761)

“CRYING, CRYING” (2:49) [Claiborne, Davis BMI—Michael Graham]
Motley aggregation, featuring Calvin Ruffin on the vocal, dishes
up a middle tempo Latin flavor bounce. Good juke box material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt5Nqbvwyto

“I’M GONNA MISS YOU” (2:44) [Claiborne, Davis BMI—Michael Graham]
The dual trumpeter etches a slow blues on the flip. Chanter Ruffin
sings an emotional lyric with feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9y80eqJt7M

JESSE ALLEN (Imperial 720)

“SITTIN’ AND WONDERIN’ ” (2:20) [Commodore BMI—Bartholomew]
Jesse Allen sings a rhythmic melodic bouncer that comes through in good
style. Effective piece of wax that could grab off some juke box action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cld4bkzsd5g

“I WONDER WHAT’S THE MATTER” (2:50) [Commodore BMI—Bartholomew]
Flip is a slow blues wailed in potent style. Allen is down in the dumps and
his vocal reflects his torment.

THE ROBINS (Spark 103)

“RIOT IN CELL BLOCK #9” (2:40) [Quintet BMI — Leiber, Stoller]
The Robins bounce out a crazy story of a riot in cell block #9. A slow jump item
is adorned with siren and machine gun bursts and the result is an intriguing ditty.
Things come out all right in the end. After 47 hours things quiet down and the
boys are back in their cells. The Robins and a fluid horn give the wax a real blues
flavor. Novelty could get strong sales and juke action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZE-BOfRi80

“WRAP IT UP” (2:45) [Quintet BMI—Leiber, Stoller]
A middle tempo bouncer more in the straight vein is delivered gaily by the lads. A
tuneful deck that pleases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3XjZLDfFk

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

EDNA McGRIFF (Josie 764)

“OOH, LITTLE DADDY” (2:25) [Legato BMI—Curtis]
“I’LL BE AROUND” (2:39) [Vogue ASCAP—Wilder]

Edna McGriff backs a socked out jump with a tender and passionate ballad.
Both look like solid wax for the consumer. The jump, “Ooh, Little Daddy,” is
the story of the man who thrills the little thrush to her soul. Edna sings it out
with an ecstatic delivery that sends the sensations she feels to the listener.
She grunts, squeezes, shouts and bounces against a rocking backing supplied
by tenor saxist Budd Johnson and his band. The ballad, “I’ll Be Around,” is a
slow tender pretty that is loaded with heart and little vocal scoops. Emotional
delivery of the chantress makes this side another contender. Both decks look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmCZZr2P2mI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mktU_yMQmds

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 12, 1954

<82e0b7d389f4a028e1897d7ef62ba795@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43129&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43129

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 12, 1954
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:59:52 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:59 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 12, 1954

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-06-12.pdf

> JESSE ALLEN (Imperial 720)

> “I WONDER WHAT’S THE MATTER” (2:50) [Commodore BMI—Bartholomew]
> Flip is a slow blues wailed in potent style. Allen is down in the dumps and
> his vocal reflects his torment.

YT link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzm4fZEgAs

Re: 3-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 12, 1954

<3541965d8ce85af7f0cab5d9df1b5cee@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43132&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43132

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:07:42 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:07 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JUNE 12, 1954

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-06-12.pdf

>> JESSE ALLEN (Imperial 720)

>> “I WONDER WHAT’S THE MATTER” (2:50) [Commodore BMI—Bartholomew]
>> Flip is a slow blues wailed in potent style. Allen is down in the dumps and
>> his vocal reflects his torment.

> YT link

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzm4fZEgAs

Great sound quality, Lawrence. Unfortunately the record is just fair, a 4.