Don't steal; thou'lt never thus compete successfully in business. Cheat. -- Ambrose Bierce

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

SubjectAuthor
* 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956Bruce
+* Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956Roger
|`- Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956Bruce
`- Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956DianeE

1
3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

<39e37b99684d39ae5cbd06f0e9bfdb8f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43146&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43146

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28:10 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:28 UTC

SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1956/CB-1956-09-01.pdf

TERESA BREWER & MICKEY MANTLE (Coral 61700; 9-61700)

“I LOVE MICKEY” (1:45) [Willow ASCAP—Brewer, Roberts Katz]
A lively little novelty about the celebrated Yankee centerfielder, Mickey Mantle,
is infectiously performed by Teresa Brewer with the Boomer assisting on some
occasional patter. Colorful cutie that’ll probably be a must for teenage Yankee
fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmM4SFJiNk

“KEEP YOUR COTTON PICKIN’ PADDIES OFFA MY HEART” [Willow ASCAP—Edwards, Duddy, Bresler]
The chirp works alone on this cute bounce novelty. Amusing ditty tailor made
for the Brewer voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHGA44F8xY

THE TRENIERS (Vik 0227; 4X-0227)

“ROCK AND ROLL PRESIDENT” (2:33) [Redd Evans ASCAP — Colby, Wolf]
The swinging Treniers are right up with the headlines as they introduce
a zany novelty that should go great guns. Cliff Trenier handles the lead
vocal on this humorous fish beat ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcvA1O2fMGU

“COOL IT, BABY” (1:51) [Weiss & Barry BMI—Newman, Coates]
From the 20th Century Fox film “Teenage Rebel” comes this wild rock and
roller which the boys belt across on this end. Disk should attract attention
when the flicker hits the local theatres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjAJHGL9QFQ

MILLS BROTHERS (Decca 30024; 9-30024)

“THAT’S RIGHT” (2:26) [Roosevelt BMI—Scott]
A catchy ditty with a zany lyric is cleverly handled by the Mills Brothers. Colorful
side with a good swing beat. Could be a big one for the veteran quartet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQg-qksYSVE

“DON’T GET CAUGHT” (2:18) [Porgie BMI—Coles]
Another infectious rhythm novelty with a cute story line. Good beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k4NHPaWbYI

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN (King 4960)

“MY NERVES” (2:29) [Anno BMI—Toombs, Glover]
“DO SOMETHING FOR ME” (2:56) [Jay & Cee BMI—Ward, Marks]

Little Willie John follows his “Fever” with a similar piece of material that should prove to be a
“hit” follow-up. The youthful chanter handles the tune with wailing vocal against a driving
backdrop. It comes off very well, swinging rhythmically. A powerful offering that will prove to
be a big seller. Little Willie John backs with a slow paced blues ballad, “Do Something For Me”.
A pretty ditty, Willie John wails it well. Good coupler. “My Nerves” for the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLy80VPt0eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CljUPww1rYc

SMILEY LEWIS (Imperial 1097)

“SOMEDAY YOU’LL WANT ME” (2:26) [Reeve BMI—Bartholomew, King]
“DOWN YONDER WE GO BALLIN' ” (2:35) [Reeve BMI—Bartholomew, King]

Smiley Lewis offers a pretty rhythmic tune, “Someday You’ll Want Me”, with a
captivating beat, a familiar sound, and a Smiley Lewis technique. It is a swingy
thing in which Lewis tells his friend someday when she wants him he’ll be gone
with someone new. Etching will appeal to both the pop and r & b markets. The
flip, “Down Yonder We Go Ballin’ ”, is another tune with a familiar quality, like
something we sang as kids. It is a quick beat jumper given a fine reading by
Lewis. Happy deck, but for the action it’s “Someday”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHjVgJYqrRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwjEkg1RgQ

THE FIVE KEYS (Capitol F3502)

“OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND” (2:15) [Kahl Music BMI —Ivory Joe Hunter]
The Five Keys blend beautifully on a tender love ballad. It is a drifty, tuneful
offering that falls lightly on the ears. Very pleasing' wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjt8A0l2pj0

“THAT’S RIGHT” (2:30) [Roosevelt Music BMI—Winfield, Scott]
The Keys swing’ through a quick beat bouncer novelty with a cute lyric and
engaging arrangement. Happy little ditty. Good side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mo5Fj9yJk

THE CLOUDS (Cobra 5001)

“ROCK AND ROLL BOOGIE” (2:18) [Armel BMI—Bedno]
The Clouds make their bow on the new label with a wild rock and roll issue.
Deck jumps from the opening note. For the kid market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7b4LaiHDwo

“I DO” (2:28) [Armel BMI— Butler]
The Clouds back with a soft, slow beat ballad.

ETTA JAMES (Modern 998)

“TOUGH LOVER” (2:25) [Modern BMI—James]
Etta James goes really wild con this deck as she handles the rocker like a female
Little Richard. Deck drives all the way. Exciting with a stirring spiritual flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zITBeS8N4

“FOOLS WE MORTALS BE” (2:15) [Modern BMI—Hawkins]
Miss James changes the pace on the flip and offers a slow, rhythmic ballad, with a
shouty reading. Stirring side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990o6kvJh2k

THE TEEN QUEENS (RPM 470)

“LOVE SWEET LOVE” (2:20) [Roosevelt BMI—Harrison, Carroll]
The Teen Queens bounce rhythmically through a happy muddle beat novelty
with excellent blending. A joyous rocker that comes off well. Watch it closely
as it is bound to make noise.

“RED TOP” (2:33) [Cherio BMI —Hampton, Kynard]
The Teen Queens pick up a swinging bop item formerly recorded by King
Pleasure and deliver it with that bop treatment. It is a light hearted
bouncer with that distinctly progressive sound.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLa7FvCpBi4

JOHNNY “GUITAR” WATSON (RPM 471)

“LOVE ME BABY” (2:40) [Modern BMI—Booker, Josea]
Johnny “Guitar” Watson chants a “Fever” type offering with a good deal
of enthusiasm. Deck comes off well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Of1hj22WZs

“SHE MOVES ME” (2:50) [Modern BMI—Watson, Ling]
Watson issues a strong platter with this rocking romantic chant. This guy
is infected by the love virus and you get that feeling in a very strong way
from Watson’s reading. Bears watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCdmT3yXJns

BIG AL SEARS (Groove 4G-0166)

“GREAT GOOGA MOOGA” (2:21) [Sylvia Music BMI—Al Sears]
Big Al Sears and his wailing horn provide a couple of minutes of searing horn blowing
backed by a rocking aggregation. It’s slow beat but stirring. Good instrumental wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sPz4LSEtQ

“HERE’S THE BEAT” (2:20) [Sylvia Music BMI—A1 Sears]
Middle" beat effort show casing the Sears horn. Good and exciting listening. Two
excellent instrumental sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKX0CNTjjc

JUNIOR PARKER (Duke 157)

“THAT’S MY BABY” (2:26) [Lion BMI—Cartwright, Harvey]
Junior Parker swings out with a quick beat jump that is alive and happy.
Parker is in a sparkling mood and in love. He sings out his joy and the
result is an infectious disk. Like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0AZatKASKg

“MOTHER-IN-LAW BLUES” (2:31) [Lion BMI—D. Robey]
Parker is in the dumps on the flip. It’s a down home slow beat blues in
which his baby leaves him. Strong deck.

https://youtu.be/Q0QtxBe1jXw?t=4

THE DUSTERS (Arc 3000)

“GIVE ME TIME” (2:34) [Gateway BMI—C. Cunningham]
The Dusters come up with a middle beat bouncer that swings along nicely.
Deck shuffles in moderate fashion, the Dusters giving it an easy reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDHBydrGAl4

“SALLIE MAE” (2:32) [Gateway BMI—R. Higginbotham]
The Dusters dish up another middle beat jumper with a more exciting rock
treatment. Duster lead gives a shouty ready, reaching down to the roots
of his vocal chords. Ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ltM2Y1SnM

LITTLE WALTER (Checker 845)

“JUST A FEELING” (2:38) [Arc +BMI—W. Jacobs]
Little Walter wails a slow beat rhythm blues in easy fashion against the simple band
backing. Little Walter tells of his low spirits in his down home manner. Should rack
up a good sale.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

<14937305a128a5794d87c2f6b47747f7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43147&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43147

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:38:27 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:38 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u3PsSxd_Cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP9KwHRV_jI

> JOHNNY CARROLL (Decca 30013; 9-30013)

> “HOT ROCK” (2:16) [Olympic BMI—J. G. Tiger]
> Under slicing features more of the same exciting vocalistics by Carroll.
> The Hot Rocks supply the terrific instrumental assist on these two pop
> country items for the swinging teensters.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wRuub4W_Y

Rare enough on original US Decca but SUPER-RARE on UK Brunswick---in fact in the early 60's I was the Only one in the crowd I hung out with who had the UK 45rpm of this rockabilly classic.

Hence my nickname :)

Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

<d6a6414dc81ed04e3ab3d85a78f07d9b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43148&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43148

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:36:11 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:36 UTC

Roger wrote:

>> 5 LYRICS (Music City 799)

>> “MY HONEY SWEET PEA” (2:39) [Gation BMI — Isaac Perry]
>> The Lyrics, backed predominantly by organ, team beautifully on a pretty slow
>> beat blues. Ok deck.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP9KwHRV_jI

The Clouds record was just fair, but this one I knew would be good, thank you.

Re: 3-11-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

<uTQHN.554896$xHn7.530662@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43153&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43153

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: DianeE@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:30:18 -0400
 by: DianeE - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:30 UTC

On 3/11/2024 10:28 AM, Bruce wrote:
> SEPTEMBER 1, 1956

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1956/CB-1956-09-01.pdf

> LITTLE WALTER (Checker 845)
> “JUST A FEELING” (2:38) [Arc +BMI—W. Jacobs] Little Walter wails a
slow beat rhythm blues in easy fashion against the simple band
> backing. Little Walter tells of his low spirits in his down home
manner. Should rack up a good sale.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvtTHQB3l8

One of my favorites by LW. Sends chills up and down my spine.