From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 23:14:13 -0500
 by: RWC - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 04:14 UTC

I find their other 7 sides released in 1951 to be lively but mundane
(yawn!) but for me this one side stands out as special, likely because
of the ethereal female background chorus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBf5-kzPdhI

Johnnie and Jack And Their Tennessee Mountain Boys
"Popular US country music duo consisting of brothers-in-law Johnnie
Wright and Jack Anglin. Active from 1938 until Anglin's death in 1963"

Re: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951

<kgjruip0pnut1liiv73ifj39od3rv2plgu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43138&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43138

From: coolg@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:16:53 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 15:16 UTC

On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 23:14:13 -0500, RWC <letsrock@opbox.com> wrote:

>I find their other 7 sides released in 1951 to be lively but mundane
>(yawn!) but for me this one side stands out as special, likely because
>of the ethereal female background chorus:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBf5-kzPdhI
>
>Johnnie and Jack And Their Tennessee Mountain Boys
>"Popular US country music duo consisting of brothers-in-law Johnnie
>Wright and Jack Anglin. Active from 1938 until Anglin's death in 1963"

Around 1930 Jack and his brothers Van and Jim began performing as the
Anglin Twins and Red when he was 14. They became the Anglin Brothers
until 1939. Johnnie Wright was the brother of his wife and that's how
they met. Jack's wife, Louise and Johnnie's wife, Murial (Kitty Wells)
performed together as Johnnie Wright and the Harmony Girls. Then
"Johnnie Wright and the Happy Roving Cowboys, now with Jack Anglin"
began as an act. The duet of Johnnie and Jack began in 1936. They
incorporated South American rhythms to some of their songs as South
American music was influential on pop music in America at the time.
WWII caused some changes with the group but after the war they began
perfoming together again. They were on the first broadcast of the
Louisiana Hayride with "Kitty Wells." Then they became a part of the
Grand Ole Opry in 1952. “Poison Love”, “Crying Heart Blues”, “Ashes of
Love”, and “Hummingbird” were some of their hits for RCA.
Jack died in a car accident on his way to Patsy Cline's funeral in
1963.
I first saw them perform on the Ernest Tubb tour in the 1950s when
they came to Dayton, Ohio and became a fan. Later, I got to know
another fan of theirs, Rick Danko, bassist and vocalist with the Band.
We used to listen to their records and dicsuss how influential they
were with their "rhumba beat."
Johnnie had a #1 country hit in 1965 with a Tom T. Hall song, "Hello
Vietnam."
In 2003 I saw Johnnie and Kitty perform at the last Lousiana Hayride
reunion at the Municipal Auditorium, in Shreveport from where it was
braodcast and got to talk to him for some time about his career in
music. As far as I am concerned there was nothing mundane about their
music. A group I was with in the early 1970s, Hungry Chuck, recorded a
version of "South in New Orleans." I have an autographed photo of he
and I together in the foyer of the Municipal Auditorium from 2003 when
he was 89. Both he and Kitty performed unti 2007. He passed in 2011
aged 97.

Re: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951

<tlcvui5usvg1m4c0ccuopm8gc173f4t166@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43152&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43152

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:36:51 -0400
 by: RWC - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:36 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:16:53 -0500, Jim Colegrove
<coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 23:14:13 -0500, RWC <letsrock@opbox.com> wrote:
>>
>>I find their other 7 sides released in 1951 to be lively but mundane
>>(yawn!) but for me this one side stands out as special, likely because
>>of the ethereal female background chorus:
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBf5-kzPdhI
>>
>The duet of Johnnie and Jack began in 1936. They incorporated
>South American rhythms to some of their songs as South
>American music was influential on pop music in America at the time.

Johnny & Jack did not record together until 1947 (on the Apollo
label).

Their "Poison Love", released 1950, made the Top Ten on all three
Billboard country charts during 1951; it took their straight bluegrass
harmonies and wed them to a distinct rhumba beat, principally supplied
by studio bassist Ernie Newton, playing a maraca and wire brush
simultaneously while handling the bass part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQR8-X8cuIQ

>...As far as I am concerned there was nothing mundane about their
>music.
After becoming alert to their unique South American rhythm in country
music I've changed my mind on their 1951 "Ashes Of Love":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayksRRVl8UE

but the following sides, despite being lively, still sound mundane
*when compared to other country sides* from 1951
(the rhumba had departed, Jim):

"You Tried To Ruin My Name"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0li8Z9-JRY
"I'm Gonna Love You One More Time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpbbWjtrcU
"Take My Ring From Your Finger"
https://youtu.be/viyJI5HzVmc?t=164
"How Can I Believe In You"
https://youtu.be/OWAhLE-4ZII?list=TLPQMTIwMzIwMjSR0i_BW9dZjw&t=152

Re: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951

<ofl0vi5j41fnvg72gl5mug2qaidl8bekn4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43154&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43154

From: coolg@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:34:47 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:34 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:36:51 -0400, RWC <letsrock@opbox.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:16:53 -0500, Jim Colegrove
><coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 23:14:13 -0500, RWC <letsrock@opbox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>I find their other 7 sides released in 1951 to be lively but mundane
>>>(yawn!) but for me this one side stands out as special, likely because
>>>of the ethereal female background chorus:
>>>
>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBf5-kzPdhI
>>>
>>The duet of Johnnie and Jack began in 1936. They incorporated
>>South American rhythms to some of their songs as South
>>American music was influential on pop music in America at the time.
>
>Johnny & Jack did not record together until 1947 (on the Apollo
>label).

I never said they didn't. It's a reference ti when they got together.
https://www.bear-family.com/johnnie-jack/

>Their "Poison Love", released 1950, made the Top Ten on all three
>Billboard country charts during 1951; it took their straight bluegrass
>harmonies and wed them to a distinct rhumba beat, principally supplied
>by studio bassist Ernie Newton, playing a maraca and wire brush
>simultaneously while handling the bass part:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQR8-X8cuIQ
>
>>...As far as I am concerned there was nothing mundane about their
>>music.
>
>After becoming alert to their unique South American rhythm in country
>music I've changed my mind on their 1951 "Ashes Of Love":
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayksRRVl8UE
>
>but the following sides, despite being lively, still sound mundane
>*when compared to other country sides* from 1951
>(the rhumba had departed, Jim):
>
>"You Tried To Ruin My Name"
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0li8Z9-JRY
>"I'm Gonna Love You One More Time"
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpbbWjtrcU
>"Take My Ring From Your Finger"
>https://youtu.be/viyJI5HzVmc?t=164

>"How Can I Believe In You"
>https://youtu.be/OWAhLE-4ZII?list=TLPQMTIwMzIwMjSR0i_BW9dZjw&t=152

The flip, "Crying Heart Blues" is the better side.

AFAIC this is all fine country music with Shot Jackson on dobro.

Re: Johnny & Jack - Humming Bird - 1951

<fn72vi1o24b14jj4ldcqfqia5p2rmfe9bm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43164&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43164

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:55:18 -0400
 by: RWC - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 03:55 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 08:34:47 -0500, Jim Colegrove
<coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:

>The flip, "Crying Heart Blues" is the better side.

Of course, and it had rhumba, but despite its well liked South
American features, the song overall for me did not belong to
1951's pantheon of Country music.