Others can stop you temporarily, only you can do it permanently.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

SubjectAuthor
* 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958Bruce
`* Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958Roger
 +* Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958Bruce
 |`- Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958RWC
 `- Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958RWC

1
3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

<2c048dd17e38918ed930791251052813@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43192&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43192

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:28:03 +0000
 by: Bruce - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:28 UTC

JUNE 14, 1958

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-06-14.pdf

DUBS (Gone 5034)

(2:20) [Wemar & Real Gone BMI—Barrett, Wiener]
The Dubs, who rode the charts with “Could This Be Magic”, have another potential
chart item in this pretty rock-a-ballad offering. Terrific vocal gimmicks should flip
the kids. Loaded with potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZupYEftRwk

“SONG IN MY HEART” (2:14) [Real Gone BMI—Johnson, Dubs]
The boys pick up the pace and bounce thru a colorful rocker that also has clickability.
Boys could make it with either end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOP9pUuBia8

BILLY HOPE & THE BADMEN (Savoy 1539)

‘‘THE DEACONS WALK” [Planemar BMI—Martin, Siegal, Cadena]
Here is a sleeper instrumental rock and roller that could come thru. It’s a slow moving deck with
an unusual rhythm that could catch the teener’s fancy. Side deserves watching. It could step out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEA5tJrTCs

BAD TIMES” [Planemar BMI —Martin, Siegal, Cadena]
Here the Badmen and Hope drive thru a typical rockin’ instrumental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olOUGuBKkE

SONNY TILL (Roulette 4079)

“SHY” (2:07) [E. B. Marks BMI — Lehmann, Lebowsky]
Sonny Till, well known lead of the Orioles, makes his debut under the Roulette banner
with a good shuffle rocker amply displaying his smooth tones. Side has a good sound
and a catchy femme-chorus in the backdrop. Watch this sleeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2oDLGpoCuA

“FIRST BLUSH” (2:00) [Kahl BMI— ones]
A smooth, romantic, fish-beat ballad is tenderly crooned by the veteran songster. Pretty
arrangement and delivery of a quality rock-a-ballad.

THE SHIRELLES (Decca 30669)

“MY LOVE IS A CHARM” (2:27) [Hollis BMI — Bartel, Kane, Green]
The Shirelles, who had a successful run on the charts with their hit “I Met Him On A Sunday”,
follow up with a slow fish-beat rock-a- ballad that should also appeal to the teeners. Plaintive
number. Side features recitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLTAsSkT9V4

“SLOP TIME” (2:00) [Hollis BMI—Harris]
The group shuffles thru an up tempo rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWWMRX6d4k

FABIAN (Chancellor 1020)

“SHIVERS” (2:15) [Debmar ASCAP — Marcucci, DeAngelis]
The festive rock ’n roll mood here is enhanced by some spirited work from vocalist Fabian,
a delightfully squealing femme chorus, and the persuasive beat of the Peter de Angelis
directed ork. Platter has its place in juke-box deejay programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsVIfcXs3bg

“I’M IN LOVE” (1:54) [Rambed BMI -— Ponti, Rozycki, Sodel]
More good rock ’n roll humor, and again that mad chorus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg47Qou1bHc

EDDIE COCHRAN (Liberty 55138)

“TERESA” (2:04) [Eddie Shaw ASCAP — Carmody, Marks]

Cochran’s effort on the fight bouncer is highlighted by the interplay sound
of Cochran and a female ensemble. A commendable teen issue from the
“Sittin’ In The Balcony” performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpkNYwA8A6c

“PRETTY GIRL” [American BMI — Cochran, Capehart]
Cochran remarks ala Elvis on this powerhouse piece of rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDjvP4FvQQ

THE KODOKS (Fury 1015)

“OH GEE, OH GOSH” (2:50) [Fire BMI—Kodoks]
“MAKE BELIEVE WORLD” (2:28) [Fire BMI—Kodoks]

The Kodoks, featuring the young voice of Pearl McKinnion, turn a quick beat bouncer,
“Oh Gee, Oh Gosh”, into a very strong teenage offering. Pearl has the early qualities
of young Frankie Lymon, and seems to have 'transferred that quality into the grooves.
Exciting deck that should be carefully watched. The flip, “Make Believe World”, is a slow
beat ballad that falls short of making the impact “Oh Gee” does. Easy to listen to deck.
Watch out for “Oh Gee, Oh Gosh”.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Tafa1F_us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZbvQPBfrQ

OTIS WILLIAMS And His Charms (DeLuxe 6165)

“BURNIN’ LIPS” (2:38) [Selbonn BMI—Coleman, Myles]
Otis Williams bangs out a quick beat jump with a familiar melody. Williams rocks
engagingly and comes up with an ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pEBRVJagg

“RED HOT LOVE” (2:09) [Roosevelt BMI—Jesse Stone]
Williams swings out with a middle beat jump and gives it an interesting treatment.
Williams is in the groove on this side and it emerges the stronger deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ijwm_WlkHo

THE CATALINAS (Back Beat 513)

“FLYING FORMATION WITH YOU” (1:59) [Lion BMI—Bailey, Murphy]
The Catalinas sing the quick beat bouncer in that “Won’t You Please Come
Home Bill Bailey” manner. Deck moves enticingly. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdcgtAAm6oY

“SPEECHLESS” (2:04) [Lion BMI—Bailey, Murphy]
Pop aimed quick beat that comes off ok. Hard hitting deck that makes you
listen. Two ok sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7-MK1EvmQ

CLAUDINE CLARK (Herald 521)

“TEEN AGE BLUES” (2:30) [Angel BMI—C. Clark]
Claudine Clark tells of her troubles in convincing fashion. The lass handles the tune
effectively with the result that the slow, rhythmic blues deserves your attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCuiQsvfVU

“ANGEL OF HAPPINESS’’ (2:31) [Angel BMI—C. Clark]
Youthful Miss Clark sings a pretty ballad with tenderness against an r&r beat. Gal is
different and looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWgw-xtJCms

BILL DOGGETT (King 5138)

“BLIP BLOP” (2:41) [Islip BMI—Andy Johnson]
The master is at it again and the result is another swinging and exciting deck.
A slow, rhythmic jump embellished with handclaps throughout. Deck builds right
to the end. Doggett may have a big one here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjD50yMzFUQ

“TANYA” (2:40) [Liggins BMI—Joe Liggins]
Wailing slow beat blues given the same kind of treatment. Horn fronts with the
exciting backing of the band. Another hot entry.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MIq_jsA6s

THE NITE CAPS (Chess 1694)

“JELLY BEAN” (2:40) [Co-Op Music ASCAP — B. Hayes]
The Nite Caps offer a deep, deep voice and the high, high pitched
counterfoil and the novelty effect on the slow bouncer is elective.
Captures your attention from the opening note. Ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghBjBHX6lc

"HAUNTED SAX" (2:39) [Co-Op Music ASCAP — B., Hayes]
Another gimmicked opening prefaces a growling sax lead. Slow paced
bouncer that comes off a good instrumental coupling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEKCIqPv1Y

DEL SAINT And The Devils (Checker 897)

“TANGY” (2:38) [Arc/Jimbow BMI—D. Saint]
Sound and beat.*That’s this middle beat instrumental bounce. Strings predominate with the piano
providing the teenage beat. Interesting deck that should capture the teener’s imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lrPP1hjfhU

“ROCK YEA” (2:35) [Arc/Jimbow BMI—D. Saint]
Saint and his Devils up the tempo to a quick rocking beat. Driving and exciting deck that doesn’t hit
with the same force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV877OW0IMU

THE STARLETTES (Checker 895)

“JUNGLE LOVE” (2:38) [Arc/Keel BMI—The Starlettes]
The Starlettes team on a middle beat jumper tailor made for the teenage trade.
The youngsters have a happy delivery and interesting sound. Light-hearted wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwo6r9HPUro

“PLEASE RING MY PHONE” (2:41) [Arc/Keel BMI—The Starlettes]
The Starlettes back with a slow beat ballad. She’s sitting alone waiting by the phone
wondering if he’ll call. Group is so young in sound they could be ten-year-olds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxR9oOg0B4

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

<9b81e7106d601c000bb2872e2817368d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43194&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43194

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:04:44 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:04 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 14, 1958

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-06-14.pdf

> SONNY TILL (Roulette 4079)

> “FIRST BLUSH” (2:00) [Kahl BMI— ones]
> A smooth, romantic, fish-beat ballad is tenderly crooned by the veteran songster. Pretty
> arrangement and delivery of a quality rock-a-ballad.

Morris Levy never could spell right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYi7M8DMuw

> THE KODOKS (Fury 1015)

> “OH GEE, OH GOSH” (2:50) [Fire BMI—Kodoks]

> The Kodoks, featuring the young voice of Pearl McKinnion, turn a quick beat bouncer,
> “Oh Gee, Oh Gosh”, into a very strong teenage offering. Pearl has the early qualities
> of young Frankie Lymon, and seems to have 'transferred that quality into the grooves.
> Exciting deck that should be carefully watched.

> both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Tafa1F_us

Long time favorite of mine that makes my Top 10 femme list for 1958

1. My Johnny Little Miss Wanda
2. Big Mama’s Coming Home Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
3. I Cried A Tear LaVern Baker
4. Let’s Have A Party Wanda Jackson
5. Fever Peggy Lee
6. Oh Gee Oh Gosh Kodoks
7. I Met Him On A Sunday Shirelles
8. Hoo Wee Sweet Daddy Katie Webster
9. Don’t Talk Back Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
10. The Time Baby Washington

> THE CATALINAS (Back Beat 513)

> “SPEECHLESS” (2:04) [Lion BMI—Bailey, Murphy]
> Pop aimed quick beat that comes off ok. Hard hitting deck that makes you
> listen. Two ok sides.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7-MK1EvmQ

HUGE number on the UK rock 'n' roll scene back in the day due mainly to the Jerry Lee influence. I remember getting a copy off one of Breathless Dan's auction lists in the late 60's but never really warming to it that much myself. Tho the backing is good I never went that much on the rather tepid vocal

> BOBBY HENDRICKS (Sue 706)

> “A THOUSAND DREAMS” (2:47) [Sue BMI—Jimmy Oliver]
> Bobby Hendricks wails a slow paced ballad. Pretty melody dramatically projected
> by the chanter. Hendricks is emotional and sincere as he tells his story.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAf-SPHwhU

This was always my favorite side on this record

> “ITCHY TWITCHY FEELING” (2:30) [Sue BMI—Jimmy Oliver]
> Hendricks gets into the teenage market with a quick beat jumper and a bandstand
> lyric. Deck moves well and it could make noise.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGP6VhQAhc

The hit side of course but another one I never warmed to much. The fact that over here the radio insisted on playing the horrid cover below put me off the song for life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMSo7u8xRRI

> DAVID RAY (Kliff 101)

> “LONESOME BABY BLUES” [Kliff BMI—R. Smith]
> Ray is ably abetted by some sock instrumental work as he shows that he
> has a way with the blues. Neat performance on a rhythmic, romantic affair.
> Strong debut fare.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ_eT_lX4Cg

Pretty fair rockabilly that was heavily booted in the 70's and along with his Kliff label followup "Jitterbuggin' Baby" also later reissued via Ronny Weiaer's Rollin' Rock outfit

Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

<7fd40a94825ecceab02e18d20235c491@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43195&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43195

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 15:42:53 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 15:42 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Long time favorite of mine that makes my Top 10 femme list for 1958

> 1. My Johnny Little Miss Wanda
> 2. Big Mama’s Coming Home Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
> 3. I Cried A Tear LaVern Baker
> 4. Let’s Have A Party Wanda Jackson
> 5. Fever Peggy Lee
> 6. Oh Gee Oh Gosh Kodoks
> 7. I Met Him On A Sunday Shirelles
> 8. Hoo Wee Sweet Daddy Katie Webster
> 9. Don’t Talk Back Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
> 10. The Time Baby Washington

Okay, here's mine with their rank on my 1958 list.

27 ¦ Don't Shout At Me Daddy ¦ Buddy & Ella Johnson
52 ¦ Honey Bop ¦ Wanda Jackson
76 ¦ Let's Have A Party ¦ Wanda Jackson
77 ¦ Rocking Around The Christmas Tree ¦ Brenda Lee
80 ¦ Every Night (I Pray) ¦ Chantels
87 ¦ Big Mama's Coming Home ¦ Big Mama Thornton
99 ¦ I Want To Do It ¦ Mattie Jackson (Ervin Rucker)
108 ¦ Oh Gee Oh Gosh ¦ Kodaks
111 ¦ Baby, Baby Every Night ¦ Etta James & Flairs
124 ¦ I Cried A Tear ¦ LaVerne Baker

Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

<h0acvitf40qe933jt3vcbtep77j55b44mq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43202&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43202

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:24:56 -0400
 by: RWC - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:24 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:04:44 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
wrote:

>>THE KODOKS (Fury 1015)
>>"OH GEE, OH GOSH" (2:50) [Fire BMI—Kodoks]

>Long time favorite of mine that makes my Top 10 femme list for 1958
>
>1. My Johnny Little Miss Wanda
>2. Big Mama’s Coming Home Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
>3. I Cried A Tear LaVern Baker
>4. Let’s Have A Party Wanda Jackson
>5. Fever Peggy Lee
>6. Oh Gee Oh Gosh Kodoks
>7. I Met Him On A Sunday Shirelles
>8. Hoo Wee Sweet Daddy Katie Webster
>9. Don’t Talk Back Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
>10. The Time Baby Washington

Thanks Roger.

Playlist (all links were checked for acceptable or best available
audio quality):
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=jQrQ2Oa2bNg,TsUNdhSSBbc,cRjnV0DcAwE,WbuLorExhJA,REryc1TpeY8,k646L5mUML0,uo5vhU5j5Jo,bLSxyt-i1nQ,4zcB9X8T5gw,KJzCoLrinu0,

Re: 3-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 14, 1958

<9pjcvita34kurk69nb6qb0s0f0lel75d7v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43203&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43203

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 22:04:49 -0400
 by: RWC - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 02:04 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 15:42:53 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>Okay, here's mine with their rank on my 1958 list.
>
>27 ¦ Don't Shout At Me Daddy ¦ Buddy & Ella Johnson
>52 ¦ Honey Bop ¦ Wanda Jackson
>76 ¦ Let's Have A Party ¦ Wanda Jackson
>77 ¦ Rocking Around The Christmas Tree ¦ Brenda Lee
>80 ¦ Every Night (I Pray) ¦ Chantels
>87 ¦ Big Mama's Coming Home ¦ Big Mama Thornton
>99 ¦ I Want To Do It ¦ Mattie Jackson (Ervin Rucker)
>108 ¦ Oh Gee Oh Gosh ¦ Kodaks
>111 ¦ Baby, Baby Every Night ¦ Etta James & Flairs
>124 ¦ I Cried A Tear ¦ LaVerne Baker

Thanks Bruce.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=xzBHL0fP49I,4zQYHX8ZTfg,WbuLorExhJA,6y7yIOl287Y,Yb4Rp9cDBgs,TsUNdhSSBbc,hA4NaMaTFag,pPo5DeLAaOo,ZwI4g5m2cBU,cRjnV0DcAwE,