From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 3-24-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 2, 1952
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:28:50 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:28 UTC

AUGUST 2, 1952

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-08-02.pdf

SAVANNAH CHURCHILL (RCA Victor 20-4773; 47-4773)

“DON’T WORRY ’BOUT ME” (2:30)
A slow number is sung in torchy fashion by Savannah Churchill. The thrush’s
feelingful reading gets soft and smooth accompaniment by the ork.

‘‘WAITING FOR A GUY NAMED JOE” (3:20)
Soft group humming and subdued orking is the backdrop which showcases the
chirp’s slow and sexy reading. Soothing voice of Savannah makes for inviting
listening.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEa98OFYKE0

COLEMAN HAWKINS (Decca 28311; 9-28311)

“SPELLBOUND” (3:03)
The always remembered melody from the flick “Spellbound” gets a beautiful tenor sax
solo as Coleman Hawkins leads the ork through this deep and appealing melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTW5Lb6Zs7k

“MIDNIGHT SUN” (2:54)
Here Danny Mendelsohn conducts the orchestra behind the polished sax playing of Coleman.
This instrumental makes some fine mood music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN94HIuYETA

MILLS BROTHERS (Decca 28309; 9-28309)

“BLUE AND SENTIMENTAL” (3:03)
The inviting harmony of the Mills Brothers sounds grand as they sing a slow sentimental ballad.
Sy Oliver’s ork backs colorfully as the lead vocalist’s voice stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFr5zhCpA5E

“JUST WHEN WE’RE FALLING IN LOVE” (2:55)
The brothers bounce through a cute hopper with an enjoyable melody as their harmonic voices
again blend well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLgFitHP4K0

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

CHARLES BROWN (Aladdin 3138)

“GEE” (3:03)
“WITHOUT YOUR LOVE” (2:25)

Charles Brown dishes up light moderate beat bounce with an effervescent vocal
that should make “Gee,” the happy ditty on the upper lid, an instantaneous hit.
Brown, whose “Hard Times” stayed in the “Hot” charts all over the country for
quite a spell and brought loads of coins into the boxes, seems to have latched
onto another disking that should have the same effect on the juke patrons. The
artist’s polished and zestful reading of the fetching lyrics and the solid orking
behind the singer makes this a “can’t miss” disk. The lower lid is a slow soft
piece that shows off Charles Brown’s versatility. Charles delivers warmly and
with feeling as the band provides an unobtrusive backdrop. We like both sides
but look for the upper deck to break out fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4oKRiJr_8
https://archive.org/details/78_without-your-love_charles-brown-and-his-band_gbia0440387b

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

LITTLE CAESAR (Recorded In Hollywood 234)

“THE RIVER” (2:38)
“LONG TIME BABY” (2:37)

A slow tempo piece that is dramatically done by Little Caesar comes out a strikingly different
etching that we believe will cause a great deal of excitement among the listeners. Against a
background of soft but stirring music, Little Caesar portrays the melancholy and despondent
lover who cannot live without his woman. From the beginning the tension builds up as the
chanter moves closer to the river, in his unrelenting but unrewarded search which ends with
the gurgle of water indicating his drowning. Little Caesar’s stirring performance as he projects
the haunting lyrics makes this a top-flight side. The reverse siding is a change of pace. The fast
beat number is wed to a cute set of lyrics and the singer is backed with some chorus chanting
and torrid orking. Ops oughta get with this disk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jthnoZfmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8dnuNqtQg

CHRISTINE KITTRELL (Tennessee 128)

“SITTIN’ HERE DRINKING” (2:34)
A slow beat is sung with much conviction by fem thrush Christine Kittrell.
Orking is full and handles a dramatic arrangement in solid manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYIA81iKA0

“I AIN’T NOTHING BUT A FOOL” (2:37)
The under portion is a dramatic fast beat number excitingly done by Kittrell
who is ably backed by the musical aggregation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_VgstOKe0

JERRY WALLACE (Vogue 1006)

“MIS’RABLE BLUES” (2:45)
Jerry Wallace sings his own tune and does a sock job with it. A slow
dramatic item, Jerry vocalizes in lush manner and is strongly backed by
the Joe Yukl Sextette on the instruments and the Morgan Sisters on
the harmony.

“THERE’LL BE SOME CHANGES MADE” (2:33)
The second side is a moderate beat oldie, rhythmically done by the same
artists. Wallace does a fine vocal backed by the Morgan Sisters harmony
wise.

THE ROYALS (Federal 12088)

“FIFTH STREET BLUES” (2:27)
The Royals beat out a fast bounce in driving style as they are backed with
handclapping and back- ground shouts. The instrumentation is torrid and
the total effect is a wildish side.

“MOONRISE”* (2:45)
The boys etch a change of pace in a haunting manner, as they chant the
slow piece sincerely.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578EEQIjWR0

J. B. LENOIR (J. O. B. 42344)

“LET’S ROLL” (2:34) J. B. Lenoir sings the moderate beat ditty with rhythm and bounce.
Cute lyrics and strong instrumentation round out the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEF0MOtieDI
“PEOPLE ARE MEDDLING” (2:31)
The fem thrush delivers slow beat item with a low down vocal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msun0ViW_bQ

PEPPERMINT HARRIS (Aladdin 3141)

"I CRY FOR MY BABY" (2:00)
Peppermint Harris bounces through a moderate fast tempo in is inimitable style
as he is backed smoothly but lightly by Maxwell Davis nd his All-Stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ztfj5RgFc

“THERE’S A DEAD CAT ON THE LINE” (2:50)
Peppermint a similar beat item on the reverse end. His fetching delivery of the
cute lyrics sells this platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFCwzvtldJY

THE RADIO FOUR (Republic 7003)

"WHY NOT TONIGHT” (2:41)
The Radio Four (actually a quintette) harmonize beautifully on a slow
rhythmic and shouty spiritual disking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvC9CI3BldI

“BLOOD DONE SIGNED MY NAME” (2:37)
The under portion is a fast exciting gospel tune harmonized rhythmically
and light jubilee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFeuzkz0aL0

THE GRIFFIN BROTHERS & MARGIE DAY (Dot 1108)

“THE CLOCK SONG” (2:43)
A moderate fast novelty number with cute lyrics is sold by thrush
Margie Day with alive and bouncy vocal. The Griffin Brothers land
some solid orking to the happy etching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPoXJtbDd88

“ACE IN THE HOLE” (2:45)
The second side is a moderate beat ditty with humorous lyrics.
Thrush Day’s delivery is precocious and enunciation is clear.
The orking is alive and helps round out a strong disk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bRctUPrpbo

WYNONIE HARRIS (King 4555)

“NIGHT TRAIN” (2:30)
The ditty that started in r & b and moved into pop, is given a solid R & B reading by
Wynonie Harris and ork. The driving number opens with a train whistle and is taken
for a hot bit of instrumentation from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pydoyYfgyTA

“DO IT AGAIN, PLEASE” (2:20)
Wynonie belts out a fast tempo item dynamically as he reads
the double entendre lyrics. His expressive vocalizing and the
strong orking make this a raucous and exciting side.

MOOSE JACKSON (King 4551)

“BEARCAT BLUES” (2:43)
A slow beat instrumental, is bounced through lightly by Moose Jackson
and the orchestra. Some fine saxing is outstanding in the arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ1Pd2XUcl4

“THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE” (2:39)
Moose sings a beautiful slow beat oldie with feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKG8Va_5zpI

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-24-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 2, 1952

<4e48a649c819cdfbdac33e89d4f947e2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43269&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43269

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-24-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 2, 1952
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:42:52 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:42 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> AUGUST 2, 1952

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-08-02.pdf

>> WYNONIE HARRIS (King 4555)

> “DO IT AGAIN, PLEASE” (2:20)
> Wynonie belts out a fast tempo item dynamically as he reads
> the double entendre lyrics. His expressive vocalizing and the
> strong orking make this a raucous and exciting side.

YT clip added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxirNjdkDg

I see the missing in action Samp in his review gave this one just that-----a mere 1

It's not great but it's better than that I rate it a 5

Re: 3-24-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 2, 1952

<565d8eb149239e1cc7737a056d0f2c85@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43270&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43270

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:00:59 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:00 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> AUGUST 2, 1952

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-08-02.pdf

>>> WYNONIE HARRIS (King 4555)

>> “DO IT AGAIN, PLEASE” (2:20)
>> Wynonie belts out a fast tempo item dynamically as he reads
>> the double entendre lyrics. His expressive vocalizing and the
>> strong orking make this a raucous and exciting side.

> YT clip added

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxirNjdkDg

> I see the missing in action Samp in his review gave this one just that-----a mere 1

> It's not great but it's better than that I rate it a 5

A 4.