From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-10-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 5, 1951
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:25:49 +0000
 by: Bruce - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:25 UTC

MAY 5, 1951

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1951/CB-1951-05-05.pdf

DISK OF THE WEEK

NAT "KING" COLE (Capitol 1501; F-1501)

“BECAUSE OF RAIN” (3:08)
“SONG OF DELILAH” (2:40)

It looks as though Nat “King” Cole can do no wrong. Following fast on the heels of his recent hits, Nat
takes a song written by Ruth Poll, who wrote “Bring Back The Thrill”, gives it a beautiful rendition and
assures himself of an- other smash. Ops who want a disk in their machines which they know will draw the coin, oughta have this one right now. This lovely ballad seems almost tailor made for Nat’s style of
delivery and he certainly sends it flying as Les Baxter and the orchestra provide a perfect setting for
his quiet performance. The lower half is a sultry number which Nat does in similar manner, again making
the side sound grand. This time Dave Barbour backs him up. The top deck is due for big things and ops
will make no mistake to get it into their boxes now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qkux8ZQoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtnpVK1sFvA

LOUIS JORDAN (Decca 27547; 9-27547)

“IS MY POP IN THERE?” (2:48)
“WEAK MINDED BLUES” (2:54)

Louis Jordan has a good jumpy item to play around with on the top deck and he and his crew do with zest.
It’s a very infectious thing with repetitious lyrics which you remember. The bottom side is a low down blues
number which Louis of course knows just how to do. This is perfect for the right location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDGg6wtX2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBi7euPkgVE

GUY MITCHELL (Columbia 39331)

“A BEGGAR IN LOVE” (3:00)
“UNLESS” (2:40)

A beautiful new ballad gets a terrific vocal from Guy Mitchell on the upper level as
Mitch Miller comes up with his usual terrific orchestration. On the second side, the
pair takes an oldie that’s currently being revived and make it sound wonderful. This
is a natural for ops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni9pWhRs_Sk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXewKDWomM

ELMER WARNER (Savoy 784)

"BRING BACK MY LOVE” (2:48)
"I MUST BE OUT OF MY MIND” (2:33)

Two very slow blues items are offered on this disk by Elmer Warner. Both ends are easy going numbers
which Elmer sings very softly. The lyrics on either side are excellent to hear and ops are advised to take
a listen to this.

LOWELL FULSON (Aladdin 3088)

"DOUBLE TROUBLE BLUES " (2:53)
"GOOD WOMAN BLUES" (2:49)

One of the season’s most unusual disks is turned out here by Lowell Fulson. With a single guitar
as backing, Lowell goes through the sensational lyrics with a slow eerie feeling. The second side
too is done in the same way. But the top deck has to be heard to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJLkudiYDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11sWfn-3vg

JIMMY McCRACKLIN (Swingtime 264)

"TRUE BLUES” (2:48)
“I'M GONNA HAVE MY FUN" (2:46)

A very low down blues number gets worked over on the top deck by Jimmy McCracklin.
With some_ terrific backing to go along, Jimmy shouts out tlie lyrics in a driving
manner. The lower end has a good steady beat and another fine vocal from Jimmy. Ops
know this boy’s drawing power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRXI-s7RED4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4JsomnGfI

CHARLES BROWN (Swingtime 276)

"CHANGEABLE WOMAN BLUES" (2:35)
“MOONRISE" (2:47)

Charles Brown takes two very slow tunes and sings the blues to them. Johnny Moore’s Three Blazers
provide a backing that blends beautifully with Brown’s listenable voice. Everything he makes is good
to hear and this disk is no exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLN6uvuJp_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZqAAmIku0

CAB CALLOWAY (Regal 3321)

"FROSTY MORNING” (2:48)
“OUE PASA CHICA” (2:54)

One of Cab Calloway’s best sides in years is being pushed our way. This tune features a terrific set of
lyrics which Cab delivers in his well known low down style as the orchestra provides a backing to match.
Lower half is a mambo getting another loud treatment. Ops can’t miss the top deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0j9p1d40k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaPkXXH0wI

LONNIE JOHNSON (King 44S0)

"GOOD NIGHT, DARLING" (2:59)
"FALLIN' RAIN BLUES" (2:46)

A pleasant sleep song is delivered softly on the upper deck by Lonnie Johnson.
With an excellent guitar backing, Lonnie lends a lot of charm to this side. The
bottom half is a shouting blues number which gets a steady beat and a blazing
vocal. This'll get those coins into the machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlJVbIiJUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8u7bPXCIjQ

THE DOMINOES (Federal 12022)

"SIXTY MINUTE MAN" (2:.34)
“I CANT ESCAPE FROM YOU" (3:01)

The Dominoes show their virtuosity with two different types of numbers. The first one is a jump tune
on which the boys display some terrific harmony as they sing out the clever lyrics. 'The second side
is a ballad done very slowly in a broken vocal with the group in the background. This is right for the
boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJbDHw_qsFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY8mwaDTE7o

PAUL MONDAY : (Peacock 1569)

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU" (2:57)
“DEAREST MOTHER" (2:42)

Paul Monday takes the well known birthday song and gives it a real live working over. With some
new lyrics to introduce it and a rhythmic lacking, Paul certainly goes to town on this. The lower
half is a dramatic mother song offered in a very slow style. Ops have to listen in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOcFfjoMZg

BULLSEYE OF THE WEEK

HANK WILLIAMS (MGM 10961; K10961)

“HOWLIN’ AT THE MOON” (2:47)
“I CAN’T HELP IT (If I'm Still In Love With You)” (2:53)

Hank Williams has an unusual side in a tune called “Howlin’ At The Moon” and he does it with a
great deal of zest. Hank, who gets a meaning all of his own into his disks, pours everything into
this one including the howlin’. We have an idea that ops who put this into their machines will do
a little howlin’ with delight when they count their receipts. Giving it a driving vocal, Hank has
some wonderful lyrics to work with and a guitar backing that’s out of this world. The lower half,
in contrast, is a ballad with a slow, definite rhythmic beat. Hank does a crying act on this one
it sounds real good. The top deck, however, has a novelty appeal. Ops shouldn’t pass it by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2onV5L_1kt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StyKrwHhWdM

MOON MULLIGAN (King 947)

“WITHOUT A PORT OF LOVE” (2:52)
“THE LAMP OF LIFE (Is Burning Low)” (2:53)

Two very soft ballads are put forward on this disk by Moon Mullican.
Moon, who makes every disk he cuts a pleasure to hear, does these
with great ease. The guitars in the background are in keeping with
the mood. For the quiet spots, this is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3m3EFL8bjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm3ySQ5IXRQ

=========================================================================================================

Re: 4-10-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 5, 1951

<4205a5bde2c579040ff5f360f0265274@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43452&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43452

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-10-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 5, 1951
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:34:47 +0000
 by: Roger - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:34 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MAY 5, 1951

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1951/CB-1951-05-05.pdf

> ELMER WARNER (Savoy 784)

> "BRING BACK MY LOVE” (2:48)
> "I MUST BE OUT OF MY MIND” (2:33)

> Two very slow blues items are offered on this disk by Elmer Warner. Both ends are easy going numbers
> which Elmer sings very softly. The lyrics on either side are excellent to hear and ops are advised to take a listen to this.

Again for the sake of completeness---sorry but this one don't do nowt for me

BOTH SIDES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUguAwuVJE4

Also show this same coupling out on Savoy subsid Acorn #321 in 1951. 22

> =========================================================================================================

Re: 4-10-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 5, 1951

<0fc59bd398d7d97b76bdf4123eb1fdb1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43453&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43453

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 23:45:04 +0000
 by: Bruce - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 23:45 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> MAY 5, 1951

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1951/CB-1951-05-05.pdf

>> ELMER WARNER (Savoy 784)

>> "BRING BACK MY LOVE” (2:48)
>> "I MUST BE OUT OF MY MIND” (2:33)

>> Two very slow blues items are offered on this disk by Elmer Warner. Both ends are easy going numbers
>> which Elmer sings very softly. The lyrics on either side are excellent to hear and ops are advised to take a listen to this.

> Again for the sake of completeness---sorry but this one don't do nowt for me

> BOTH SIDES

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUguAwuVJE4

Thanks. Certainly nothing special. I'd say a 5 and a 4 respectively.