From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 13, 1949
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:11:58 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:11 UTC

AUGUST 13, 1949

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/49/CB-1949-08-13.pdf

FRANK SINATRA (Columbia 38550)

"It All Depends On You" (2:42)
"I Only Have Eyes For You" (3:08)

Pair of fair sides by Frank Sinatra, with “It All Depends On You” and “I Only Have Eyes For You”
headed music ops’ way. Top deck is a bounce number that might prove to be a winner. Ditty is
an old one dressed up a bit, with maestro Hugo Winterhalter providing the musical assistance.
The flip is a well known Frankie musical epic that will always draw its fair share of coin play. Ops
who have the room on their machines might listen in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEwBBhN9pY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6h4dDnaNxY

RACE DISK O’ THE WEEK

THE ORIOLES (Jubilee 5099)

"A Kiss And A Rose" (3:10)
"It's A Cold Summer" (2:45)

There’s no stopping this group! Right on the heels of their smash disking of “I Challenge
Your Kiss,” The Orioles come up with another winner in this latest recording that should
prove to be one of their best and most popular. Titled “A Kiss And A Rose,” the vocal group
display an avalanche of grand vocal harmony on the side to set the stage for some torrid
coin play. The ditty is a smart, teeming ballad that makes you wanna listen. It’s great stuff
the group offer, and easy on the ears from the very first note. Slow infectious tempo, added
to the plush air surrounding the disk, adds to the winning incentive found here. On the other
end with “It’s A Cold Summer,” The Orioles turn in another excellent performance to keep the
platter sizzling hot. Ditty is a clever romantic ballad that should catch on and go. Music ops
won’t have to hesitate with this one—it’s a winner—and a big one at that!

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrXVEJukXs

FRANK CULLEY (Atlantic 880)

"Floorshow" (2:38)
"The Snap" (2:43)

Pair of sides that might make decent filler material turn up here by Frank Culley and his gang.
Wax, titled “Floorshow” and “The Snap” features some heavy sax work throughout, with a mass
of rhythm floating about in mellow tempo. Loads of drive is found on the top deck, while the
flip features a fond hand-clap. Ops who have the room on their machines might listen in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIE0zpK_9U
https://archive.org/details/78_the-snap_frank-cole-slaw-culley-and-his-band-frank-culley_gbia0365144a

JOE TURNER (MGM 10492)

"Married Woman Blues" (2:38)
"Boogie Woogie Baby" (2:41)

Piper Joe Turner steps to the limelight to come up with a pair, that should hold their own in the
boxes. Wax, tagged “Married Woman Blues” and “Boogie Woogie Baby” are a pair of blues ballad tunes
that make for fairly nice listening. Joe’s heavy vocal work is there for the asking on both sides,
while adequate instrumental accompaniment rounds out the platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZs87ZAHGbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKrho2ZBg1w

RUSSELL JACQUET ORCH. (King 4307)

"Cross Bones" (2:40)
"Blues In F" (2:48)

Music ops in the market for a pair of top notch instrumental sides are sure to find it in this wax
offering by maestro Russell Jacquet. Both sides of this platter beckon some heavy coin play. Top
deck, titled “Cross Bones” has the gang beating out a mellow up tempo number, with some steady
rhythm and beat seeping thru the wax in tones that score. The flip picks up to an ultra fast tempo,
and has the gang taking some solo spots that shine. The pair rate a featured spot in music ops
machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfyIYopx1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyoQqilHFQ0

DAVE BARTHOLOMEW (DeLuxe 3223)

"Country Boy" (2:46)
"Mr. Fool" (2:43)

Some wax that music ops can use to fair advantage as a filler item is this bit turned up here by piper
Dave Bartholomew. Titled, “Country Boy” and “Mr. Fool,” Dave delivers a gusto vocal on both sides to
offer ops a platter that can go. Both sides spin in medium slow tempo, with effective instrumental
accompaniment rounding out the platter. Ops who have the spot might take a look-see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUiBapE0_vM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLURB43opz0

ERROL GARNER (Savoy 701)

"I Surrender Dear" (2:56)
"Love Walked In" (2:33)

The distinctive piano styling of Errol Garner, whose platters are currently receiving top popularity,
is shown in excellent manner on this latest release titled “I Surrender Dear” and “Love Walked In.”
Both tunes should be fairly well known to music ops since they are two top standards. This rendition,
with Garner tinkling the ivory’s in subtle tones that score, should boom juke box play. Ops should
latch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnHJWh4Cds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=970uaOmV7Cg

LESTER YOUNG ORCH. (Savoy 707)

"Crazy Over J Z" (2:40)
"June Bug" (2:41)

Some instrumental wax in the offing for music ops are these sides by the Lester Young gang
titled “Crazy Over J Z” and “June Bug.” Top deck, dedicated to disk jockey Symphony Sid, WJZ,
New York, is an up tempo number featuring Lester on sax throughout. Driving rhythm added to
the jump refrain found here should meet with the approval of the maestro’s many fans. On the
flip with “June Bug,” Les and the boys come back with another socko instrumental to keep the
wax hot. Top deck might be a big one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyPrL0VBUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkxgmKXC548

BULLSEYE OF THE WEEK

BOB WILLS & HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS (MGM 10491)

"Nothing But Trouble" (2:52)
"The Warm Red Wine" (2:57)

Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys come up with another great pair to notch this featured spot this week.
Always consistent coin culler. Wills and his boys should keep their hot popularity streak running wild with
this latest wax offering. Titled “Nothing But Trouble” and “The Warm Red Wine,” Bob and the gang display
some great vocal and instrumental work to make this biscuit a winner. On the top deck, piper Jack Lloyd
takes a light vocal spot on a cute, mellow bit of music that satisfies immensely. Lyrics of the song make for excellent listening pleasure, as docs the instrumental accompaniment. Jack switches tempo on the flip as he warbles the tender and sentimental refrain to “The Warm Red Wine.” The song is a touching one that
should catch on and go. Vocal work is smooth and easy on the ears. Both sides of this platter rate a top
spot in ops machines. Latch on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0rF1_1s1O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emtg8dOJBqY

THE DELMORE BROTHERS (King 803)

"Blues Stay Away From Me" (2:50)
"Goin' Back To The Blue Ridge Mountains" (2:48)

The Delmore Brothers comes up with a pair of sides that should garner some top juke box play
via this coupling titled “Blues Stay Away From Me” and “Goin’ Back To The Blue Ridge Mountains.”
Top deck is a smooth, soft blues ditty, with the boys harmonizing in fine voice throughout. The flip
picks up in tempo a bit, and has the boys telling why they’re making that trip. We go for the top
deck in a big way—we’re sure you will too. Get with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE7qr0gqPZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2UzFEbxb0

Re: 4-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 13, 1949

<dmnd1jpqsq7k0b1phbogbctn04gsgbkhcl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43450&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43450

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-8-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - AUGUST 13, 1949
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:56:12 -0400
 by: RWC - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:56 UTC

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:11:58 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>FRANK CULLEY (Atlantic 880)
>
>"Floorshow" (2:38)
>"The Snap" (2:43)
>
>Pair of sides that might make decent filler material turn up here by Frank Culley and his gang.
>Wax, titled “Floorshow” and “The Snap” features some heavy sax work throughout, with a mass
>of rhythm floating about in mellow tempo. Loads of drive is found on the top deck, while the
>flip features a fond hand-clap. Ops who have the room on their machines might listen in.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIE0zpK_9U
>https://archive.org/details/78_the-snap_frank-cole-slaw-culley-and-his-band-frank-culley_gbia0365144a

Some rare disparaging remarks by the normally effusive Cash Box
reviewer:

"filler material" and "ops who have the room on their machines might
listen in"