From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:46:41 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:46 UTC

MAY 31, 1952

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-05-31.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

PEGGY LEE (Decca 28215; 9-28215)

“LOVER” (3:18)
“YOU GO TO MY HEAD” (3:11)

Peggy Lee is headin’ back to the top of the female singers list via her new effort. The number used
is a wonderful oldie that’s labeled “Lover” and it contains the necessary qualities to go big again. The
arrangement is terrific and different and should create plenty of excitement. Peggy offers a stirring
and dynamic reading over a fast driving musical backdrop as set up by the Gordon Jenkins orchestra.
This big production item makes for a wonderful sound that’s gonna have juke box adherents tossing
coin after coin into the machines. Flip is another oldie that’s done in a contrasting pace. Here, Peggy
delivers a slow, soft, sultry vocal that makes this level another strong contender. The Jenkins crew
once again supports her all the way. However, the lid that’s gonna move fast and furiously is the first
deck and ops oughta get with it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqNQmMQNj9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9QF6N1lPA

FRANKIE LAINE & DORIS DAY (Columbia 39693; 4-39693)

“SUGARBUSH” (2:00)
Frankie Laine and Doris Day offer their polished version of a delightful bouncer.
The Luboff choir adds to the potential of the lid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ASJgm1Dp8

“HOW LOVELY COOKS THE MEAT” (2:27)
The Laine-Day combo conjure up an alternately fast and slow paced rendition of
another good number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v-6LRGVvus

BILLY WILLIAMS QUARTET (Mercury 5866; 5866x45)

“STAY” (2:51)
The Billy Williams Quartet comes up with a good sound as they present their
stylized rendition of an attractive ballad.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49do5wnMG0

“AZURTE” (2:40)
The vocal foursome present a forceful arrangement of a moderate beat item.
Organ backing helps here.

THE FOUR KNIGHTS (Capitol 2087; F-2087)

“IT’S A SIN TO TELL A LIE” (2:48)
The Four Knights deliver a change of pace version of a grand oldie. The
slow item is stepped up in the middle with a jump tempo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxg4ugqipoQ

“I’M THE WORLD’S BIGGEST FOOL” (2:46)
A slow piece is worked over by the group with the aid of an echo effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCDPBSneIE

TBE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

LOUIS JORDAN (Decca 28211; 9-28211)

"JUNCO PARTNER” (2:42)
“AZURE-TE” (3:05)

Louis Jordan belts out an exciting vocal of a current pop comer “Junco Partner.” The Cajun
French dialect rolls off the tongue of Jordan with a contagious enthusiasm that relays itself
to the listener. The rollicking and raucous delivery of the chanter sells the number with an
explosive force that makes this end a must for all ops. Louis is set up in top flight manner
by the Tympany Five who provides a light backing that supports his dynamic presentation
in strong style. The undersiding is a slow fox trot that Jordan sings in his stylized manner.
This haunting melody is smoothly projected by the talented vocalist. Louis Jordan also gets
off some slick saxing on this end. We like both sides but look for the upper plate to make
noise quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTzIN3nDBfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkjh8yfoLMU

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER Of THE WEEK

EARL BOSTIC (King 4536; 45 x 4536)

“LINGER AWHILE” 3:03)
“VELVET SUNSET" (3:03)

Earl Bostic has hit the jackpot for ops with a double barreled release. On the upper lid, Earl waxes
“Linger Awhile,” a fast moving jump instrumental that is sure to excite and please the patrons. Bostic,
master of the alto sax, gives a driving demonstration of his capabilities as he sends the notes spinning
into a lively and stimulating pattern. The masterful exhibition of polished musicianship makes this a top
flight end. The flip side is a change of pace that has Bostic executing a slow mellow piece. As on the upper lid, Earl’s horn blowing is exciting and dramatic. The artist’s runs and quality of tone make this
a fitting coupling for the first deck. Ops should not hesitate to stock up on this two sided winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIGjCXIVahs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to6ucDoHPF4

Billie McAllister (Tennessee 122)

“31 E. BLUES” (2:36) A moderate beat blues is given a low down treatment by Billie McAllister.
A top flight vocal receives the full ork treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxoHYff8oI

“ALRIGHT BABY” (2:39)
Billie bangs out a shouty vocal of this driving item. The thrush gives out with everything she has
and turns in a great side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdV_HIT7oeA

THE SWALLOWS (King 4533)

“YOU WALKED IN” (2:15)
The group harmonizes on a slow, romantic item. Lead vocalist does well with a humming background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOE_FFalnk

“I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU” (2:24)
The Swallows present a smooth and easy rendition of the slow oldie. The blending of voices is effective
and the side is a strong one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAlsAgxDeFg

ROSCOE GORDON (Duke R1)

“TELL DADDY” (3:15) Roscoe
Gordon gives out with a low down delivery of a slow blues number. Roscoe’s stylized
vocal tricks receives solid support from the musical group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQX8EutdIg

“HEY, FAT GIRL” (2:25) Flip
is a fast moving item with an exciting beat. Roscoe gives the cute lyrics a powerhouse
selling, as the band helps out with some group chanting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLHVBL8Zaw

PETE “GUITAR”’ LEWIS (Federal 12076)

“RAGGEDY BLUES” (2:20)
Pete “Guitar” Lewis belts out a hustling big beat blues excitingly for a sock dish. Orking is smooth
with emphasis on the brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvsvPQC6Mo

“HARMONICA BOOGIE” (2:23)
A happy instrumental features Pete mouthing a terrific harmonica. Orking is on the light side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNxxw32im8

LITTLE ESTHER (Federal 12078)

“AGED AND MELLOW” (2:42)
The sixteen year old star belts out a moderate beat item with feeling and
warmth. Little Esther’s stirring warbling makes this side a must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL9jcbcOUck

“BRING MY LOVIN’ BACK TO ME” (2:46)
The thrush has another contender with her lush reading of this slow blues.
Full orchestral backing rounds out a strong dish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRR064ftO18

JAY FRANKS (RPM 357)

“STRIPPED GEARS” (2:49)
Jay Franks and his Rockets of Rhythm come up with a fast instrumental that
is alive with bounce. Arrangement features the sax.

“FISHTAIL” (2:35)
Franks and the Rockets handle a change of pace on this end. The slow bounce
again spotlights some solid saxing.

IKE TURNER (RPM 356)

“TROUBLE AND HEARTACHES” (2:44)
Ike Turner handles a moderate tempo ditty with sad lyrics in easy fashion. Turner
is backed with some ok orking by the Ben Burton aggregation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_oewe-ftkU

“YOU’RE DRIVING ME INSANE” (2:39)
Vocalist comes up with a strong reading of a slow blues. The orchestral handling of
an interesting arrangement makes this an ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64jg4waSm0I

LOUIS BROOKS (Tennessee 126)

“ONE SLOW ROCK” (2:41)
Louie Brooks and band drive out a moderate beat instrumental that showcases
some solid saxing. Side also spots a nice bit of piano playing.

“KEEP PUSHING” (2:39) Flip is a real driving tune with a big bounce. Exciting
arrangement again features sparkling piano runs and strong saxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6H4L0IXnJQ

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952

<c26d6f9522618fd7532135518bfe01ae@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43493&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43493

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:56:27 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:56 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MAY 31, 1952

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-05-31.pdf

> Billie McAllister (Tennessee 122)

> “31 E. BLUES” (2:36) A moderate beat blues is given a low down treatment by Billie McAllister.
> A top flight vocal receives the full ork treatment.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxoHYff8oI

Isn't this the guy that jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge?

> JAY FRANKS (RPM 357)

> “STRIPPED GEARS” (2:49)
> Jay Franks and his Rockets of Rhythm come up with a fast instrumental that
> is alive with bounce. Arrangement features the sax.

Here's a YT clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ip7jzdMMJI

Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952

<2b727b62e961ca6bf81668468881736c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43494&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43494

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:12:34 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> MAY 31, 1952

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-05-31.pdf

>> Billie McAllister (Tennessee 122)

>> “31 E. BLUES” (2:36) A moderate beat blues is given a low down treatment by Billie McAllister.
>> A top flight vocal receives the full ork treatment.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxoHYff8oI

> Isn't this the guy that jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge?

THIS Billie McAllister is not a guy. Anyway the one who jumped was Billy Joe.

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> JAY FRANKS (RPM 357)

>> “STRIPPED GEARS” (2:49)
>> Jay Franks and his Rockets of Rhythm come up with a fast instrumental that
>> is alive with bounce. Arrangement features the sax.

> Here's a YT clip

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ip7jzdMMJI

Thanks Larry.

Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952

<b58d9572d3ceb3d41fefe657c0e1d765@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43495&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43495

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:51:03 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:51 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> MAY 31, 1952

>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1952/CB-1952-05-31.pdf

>>> Billie McAllister (Tennessee 122)

>>> “31 E. BLUES” (2:36) A moderate beat blues is given a low down treatment by Billie McAllister.
>>> A top flight vocal receives the full ork treatment.

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxoHYff8oI

>> Isn't this the guy that jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge?

> THIS Billie McAllister is not a guy. Anyway the one who jumped was Billy Joe.

On the LP and the single it's BILLIE

Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952

<76f96128bad8869798214058116bbf90@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43496&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43496

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:27:22 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:27 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> Roger wrote:

>>> Isn't this the guy that jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge?

>> THIS Billie McAllister is not a guy. Anyway the one who jumped was Billy Joe.

> On the LP and the single it's BILLIE

My mistake on the spelling, but the Joe part was what I was bringing up.

Re: 4-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 31, 1952

<7e5f98dc7a532f49f920b13db48e2a49@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43500&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43500

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:46:45 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:46 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> THIS Billie McAllister is not a guy. Anyway the one who jumped was Billy Joe.

>> On the LP and the single it's BILLIE

> My mistake on the spelling, but the Joe part was what I was bringing up.

That ole Tallahatchie is a mighty fast moving river so..um....the Joe kinda got lost in the flow