From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 20, 1953
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:41:15 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:41 UTC

JUNE 20, 1953

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-06-20.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

NAT "KING" COLE (Capitol 2498; F-2498)

“RETURN TO PARADISE” (2:53) [Remick Music]
“ANGEL EYES” (3:12) [Bradshaw Music]

With four numbers buzzing around on the boxes at the present time, Nat “King” Cole comes up with
a fifth that should click in a big way. “Return To Paradise” is a lovely piece of music, from the film
of the same name, that gets a soft and expressive treatment in the stylish Cole manner. The enchanting
tune has a mystic quality about it and the way Nat sings it, it’s real attractive. The Latin tempo by the
Nelson Riddle ork adds to the good quality of the number. Flip features the “king” with Billy May’s ork
on a blues lilter from the “Jennifer” flick. We go for the top half in a big way and look for it to catch fast. There are a hoard of versions on “Paradise,” but we feel that the Cole version will take the others over in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53FHYzZomY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqDDqeLQEaM

PEGGY LEE (Decca 28737; 9-28737)

"I’VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN” (2:28) [Chappell & Co.]
Peggy Lee has a bit of “Lover” in her voice as she rhythms through a Cole Porter standard
in stylish form. The jump tempo with a Latin kick helps add quality to the platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_7j6Pe1zE

“MY HEART BELONGS TO DADDY” (2:06) [Chappell & Co.]
A fast moving samba beat is an exciting setting for Peg’s jazzy version of another popular
standard. Number really moves along and should get plenty of spins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvVXKsed-Q

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

JOHNNY ACE (Duke 112)

“THE CLOCK” (2:46) [Lion Publ.]
“ACES WILD” (2:26) [Lion Publ.]

Johnny Ace, unknown to the trade one short year ago, streaked across the hot charts
with a number one sensation “My Song”, followed about six months later with another
big hit, “Cross My Heart”, and now keeps his record one hundred percent with his third,
and what looks like a certain click, “The Clock”. The tune is a slow sentimental item
hauntingly sung by Ace in the style that has been so successful for him. The blues singer
is despondently lonesome and he begs his baby to come back real soon if she hears him.
Tune is simple, melodic and hummable. A real good bet for some top pop artist. Flip is a
rocking instrumental of a wildie, “Aces Wild”. Johnny Ace is featured on the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qiO-YgBw8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOE3uFxuask

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

DINAH WASHINGTON (Mercury 70175)

“NEVER NEVER” (2:07) [Collins]
"MY LEAN BABY” (2:10) [Ardmore Music]

Dinah Washington looks good on this one. Her impassioned and sexy reading of the slow shuffle tempo
item, titled “Never Never”, brings life and color to the plate. Dinah pleads with her man not to leave
her as if he does she can never be the same. A chorus punctuates her reading with staccato chants and the
timing adds excitement to the disk. Orking is solid and carries on the mood. A good sax solo rounds out
the side. Like this end and expect it to stir up some action. The flip is an r & b reading of the Sinatra pop hit “My Lean Baby”. Dinah Sings the quick beat bounce expertly, but it falls short of the upper etching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpiUCtLgEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illwaVxyc44

SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

THE ORIOLES (Jubilee 5120)

“ONE MORE TIME” (3:10) [Marvin]
“I COVER THE WATERFRONT” (3:11) [Harms]

The Orioles come up with a pair of likely looking items on their newest release that could get lots of
plays in the boxes. The first side, “One More Time,” is a quick beat bounce that the boys belt with an
infectious energy. Handclapping and unrestrained enthusiastic chanting give it that jubilee feel. Instru-
mental backdrop is in the mood and helps convey the red hot picture. The flip is that old standard. “I
Cover The Waterfront,” and the boys come through with as lush and lovely a side as any ever put on
wax. The lead singer is smooth, tender, and delicate as he sings the wonderful tune. Two entirely dif-
ferent sides, but two definite winners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYFZW3RZ0t8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWC00WXb5I

THE ROYALS (Federal 12133)

"NO IT AIN’T” (2:26) [Lois]
The Royals dish up a rhythmic bounce cutie with lots of drive and excellent vocal blending. An exciting
waxing in which the lead tells his baby she can’t be his girl as she’s been gone too long.

“GET IT” (2:11) [Loisl Another
rocker belted with loads of oomph. The boys perform solidly and in the style currently going over with
the public.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMKGVoCFSw

SUGAR RAY ROBINSON (King 4641)

“KNOCK HIM DOWN WHISKEY” (2:31) [Fred Fischer]
The “Champ’s” vocal chords display some of the sock he carries around in his mitts as he surprises
with a professional reading of the tune written especially for him. Should go big in the special
locations. Earl Hines ork supplies the backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1cNH6gmhwM

“I SHOULDA BEEN ON MY MERRY WAY” [Jay & Cee]
Robinson carries the melody on this end for another surprising performance. Same comments. Hot
material for special spots.

https://youtu.be/PKyzDE2-Qk4?t=7

JOE LEE WILLIAMS (Trumpet 169)

“OVER HAULING BLUES” (2:38) [Globe Music]
Joe Lee Williams sings a boogie tempo south- ern style item with a potent 12 string guitar backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcH0P8YV9s

“WHISTLING PINES” (2:36)
Williams etches a slow blues on the flip in the same style. Again the guitaring must be mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7lTxboq53M

TASSO THE GREAT (United 150)

“MY SYMPATHY” (2:26) [Pamlee]
Tasso The Great and his combo beat out a tender and warm item with the vocal coming
through tenderly and sentimentally. Tasso’s despair is evident in his reading.

https://archive.org/details/78_my-sympathy_tasso-the-great-zachary_gbia0057669b

“EBONY AFTER MIDNIGHT” (2:57) [Pamlee]
Tasso’s group etch a slow instrumental in mellow fashion. Pianoing excitingly done.

https://archive.org/details/78_ebony-after-midnight_tasso-the-great-and-his-combo-zachary_gbia0057669a

DOLLY COOPER (Savoy 898)

“ALLEY CAT” (2:41) [Savoy]
Following the “Hound Dog” kick, Dolly Cooper gives out with a belty reading of a middle tempo jump.
Dolly berates another female telling her to leave her man alone and find one of her own. Hence the
descriptive title. Dolly sells with enthusiasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn_El7Hv5Vk

“I NEED ROMANCE” (2:39) [Savoy]
Dolly needs a man who wants to romance with her on this end. A similar tempo and the gal gives an
uninhibited performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmo0zZQ7UrY

THE TRAVELING FOUR (Score 5048)

“THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE” (2:15) [Aladdin Music]
The Traveling Four dish up a quick beat spiritual in a steady rhythmic
style. The group races through this one, getting shouty in spots.

“WHAT HE DONE FOR ME” (2:34) [Aladdin]
The quartet etches a similar item in similar fashion.

MR. BLUES CARSON (Hi-Lo 1420)

“EYE TO EYE” (2:38)
Mr. Blues Carson and his orchestra beat out a fast moving bounce with Carson handling the vocal
bit in smart style. The chanter can’t see eye to eye with his lady love and even though he loves
her he must say goodbye. Side moves from opening note.

https://archive.org/details/78_eye-to-eye_mr-blues-carson-and-his-orchestra_gbia0371324b

“SITTIN’ BY THE WINDOW”
Flip is a slow blues handled in ok fashion by the blues singer.

https://archive.org/details/78_sittin-by-the-window_mr-blues-carson-and-his-orchestra_gbia0371324a

RED MILLER (Savoy 895)

“PLEASE BE KIND” (2:37)
Red Miller sings a slow romantic plea in the cry style. Organ backs the chanter.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 20, 1953

<6e055805ea68a509861f5e6fec7eec7b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43502&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43502

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 20, 1953
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:56:23 +0000
 by: Roger - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:56 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 20, 1953

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-06-20.pdf

> DIXIE HUMMING BIRDS (Peacock 1713)

> “ETERNAL LIFE’’ (2:50) [Lion Pub.]
> The Dixie Humming Birds, with Ira Tucker filling in with a strong lead,
> sing a slow religious item inspiringly.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae8ySSQ_sbY

> “LORD, IF I GO” (2:34) [Lion Pub.]
> Flip is a similar item well done by the group.

The only one I have to add today sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCupiYs6YE

Re: 4-15-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 20, 1953

<c2d395d4ada97dc859298bb759712c1f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43503&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43503

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:21:14 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:21 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JUNE 20, 1953

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-06-20.pdf

>> DIXIE HUMMING BIRDS (Peacock 1713)

>> “ETERNAL LIFE’’ (2:50) [Lion Pub.]
>> The Dixie Humming Birds, with Ira Tucker filling in with a strong lead,
>> sing a slow religious item inspiringly.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae8ySSQ_sbY

>> “LORD, IF I GO” (2:34) [Lion Pub.]
>> Flip is a similar item well done by the group.

> The only one I have to add today sorry

Don't apologize, one is infinitely better than none.