From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: 4-20-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 15, 1955
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:06:12 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

JANUARY 15, 1955

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-01-15.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

PERRY COMO (RCA Victor 20-5994; 47-5994)

“KO KO MO” (2:21) [Meridian BMl—Forest, Haven]
"YOU'LL ALWAYS BE MY LIFETIME SWEETHEART " (2:40) [Wizzell & Day ASCAP]

Perry Como, whose “Home For The Holidays” turned out to be the biggest Yuletide release this year,
comes up with a rhythm and blues tune on his latest release. It’s an exciting and driving novelty with
a good beat and is tagged “Ko Ko Mo (I Love You So)”. It’s Como’s first waxing of an R & B item and
it should be a big one. Flip is a very pretty ballad labeled “You’ll Always By My Lifetime Sweetheart”.
It’s a delightful love song that starts as a ballad and breaks into a bounce. Watch “Ko Ko Mo”. Should
be the first big one in ’55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XK1-8Vfa14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK55iuSiN7s

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

CREWCUTS (Mercury 70529; 70529 x 45)

“KO KO MO” (2:32) [Meridian BMl—Forest, Haven!
“EARTH ANGEL” (2:49) [Dootsie Williams BMl—Curtis, Williams]

As rhythm and blues material continues to hit big in the pop market, the Crewcuts wax two R & B tunes
for their first release of the new year. The big side is a solid juni]) version of a real cutie called
“Ko Ko Mo”. It’s definitely the boys’ best job since “Sh-Boom” which, incidentally, also was originally
an R & B tune. Coupling is a smooth reading of “Earth Angel”, an R & B song that’s already making it in pop. Crewcuts should share heavily in final tally. A two-sided threat. Watch both halves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9KpzrVkG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8_OFubJLM

MILLS BROS. (Decca 29382; 9-29382)

“PAPER VALENTINE” (2:06) [Stratton BAH—Dave Coleman]
The Mills Brothers offer a new tune that sounds very much like “Paper Doll” in the delivery,
melody and title. Inviting number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPquK5tz-E0

“THE URGE” (2:41) [Aleridian BMl—Gimbel]
Another familiar tune is employed for this Mills Brothers number. Cute ditty that’ll please
the kids. Could break out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPlzIE6uQI

THE INK SPOTS (King 1429; 45-1429)

“THERE IS SOMETHING MISSING” (2:28) [BAH—Kerr, Milton]
Charlie Fuqua leads his Ink Spots through a soft and sentimental ballad. Familiar sound and
introduction. Big lead voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itt1VArM7mY

“MELODY OF LOVE” (2:50) [Presser ASCAP — Engleman]
This side features the group on a mellow version of a currently highflying hit. Poem by Mary
Davies is capably recited by the bass voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1_bNjsItU

THE CHEERS (Capitol 3019; F-3019)

“WHADAYA WANT?” (2:10) [Quintet BMI—Stoller, Leiber]
The Cheers, who hit it big with “Bazoom,” have a wild follow-up platter that could easily top the first
success. Real exciting driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBH_UatN7E

“BERNIE’S TUNE” (2:28) [Atlantic BMI—Miller, Stoller, Leiber]
Buddy Bregman sets up another good backing for the Cheer’s clever reading of a cute novelty. Ok side.
Top half has the goods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IODdk0JT8TM

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

JOHNNY ACE (Duke 136)

PLEDGING MY LOVE” (2:3.5) [Lion BMI—Washington, Robey]
“NO MONEY” (2:42) [Lion BA11 —John Alexander]

Johnny Ace, who has hit with eight successive releases, will probably have his greatest in this,
“Pledging My Love,” released just prior to his untimely death, Christmas Eve. While the accident
will no doubt be the cause of many sales, the etching has what it takes to hit the peak on merit
alone. .A lovely melody, simple and easy to remember, it will no doubt receive pop coverage. The
refrain has a haunting quality that sticks with you. Can’t miss. The flip, “No Money,” is a rhythmic
up tempo bouncer that Ace wails effectively. However, it’s a strict one-sider. “Pledging My Love”
will go all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyCd6pzWyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS1pGzV3klM

FAYE ADAMS (Herald 444)

“ANYTHING FOR A FRIEND” (2:44) [Rush Music BMI—Wyeal. McCrae]
“YOUR LOVE (Has My Heart Burnin')” [Angel BMl—Scott]

Faye Adams has a powerhouse in “Anything For .A Friend.” The record is sold in the first twenty
seconds. The little girl with the tremendous voice really belts this tune. Deck will prove to be one
of the gal’s biggest. Looks like a big R & B season ahead with this plate and the Ace item reviewed
in the space above, to spearhead the sales department. The underlid, “Your Love,” has Faye bouncing
with a zesty performance. Deck is potent, but it’s “Anything For A Friend” for the big action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIMtW57UwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jQ-nqb5B4

SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

BUDDY JOHNSON (Mercury 70523)

“UPSIDE YOUR HEAD” (2:45) [Sophisticate BMI]
“CRAZY 'BOUT A SAXOPHONE” (2:43) [Sophisticate BMI]

Buddy Johnson has a couple of good sides on his newest release, but the deck that should cull the coins
is “Upside Your Head,” with the mellow vocal chords of Ella Johnson providing the extra something. Ella
tells of her man’s fateful attractions. She ought to leave him but she can’t. Tune is an easy bouncer given
the fine Johnson ork treatment. The flip, “Crazy ’Bout A Saxophone,” is a fast tempo rocker on the novelty
side. Ok backer-upper that will please with its novelty and dance tempo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukyo-mJxw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_obOzbRmx7I

LOU MAC (Blue Lake 108)

“COME BACK LITTLE DADDY” (2:4S) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
Lou Mac a slow rhythmic blues pleading with her man to come hack. Good story and ok presentation.

"HARD TO GET ALONG WITH” (2:45) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
Lou Mac is still having male woes on this deck. A slow Southern blues done with fair effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Tgz-dW2o8

THE RUBIES (Verne 103)

“SOMEDAY” (2:16) [Mellin BMl Brown, Parker]
Sounds like an all female group. A fast tempo bounce chanted in good style. If label can
get it around could grab some sales action.

both sides - https://youtu.be/yn-Q7WBZvL8?t=4

“JUST YOU AND I” (2:44) [Archer]
A sweet and sentimental blues ballad etched prettily. Same comments.

J. B. LENORE (Parrot 809)

“MAN WATCH YOUR WOMAN” (2:51) [Lake—Lenore]
J. B. Lenore wails a slow blues chant. J. B. advises one to keep your good woman by your side.
You can never tell when she might be swayed away from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK3ia3k4eUk

“MAMA TALK TO YOUR DAUGHTER” (2:4:4) [Lake—Lenore]
Flip is a rhythmic quick beat jump energetically sung by Lenore. Engaging side that could sell well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE91NgWQpFs

JON THOMAS (Checker 809)

“HI FI” (2:39) [Condor BMI]

Jon Thomas and his orchestra spin a middle beat bounce instrumental with a strong sax lead.
Deck has a good dance beat although the title is nothing more than just a title.

“RIB TIPS” (2:40) [Condor BMl]
Slow tempo blues with guitar in the forefront. Ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiPyyvaRa0

THE MELLOWS (Jay-Dee 797)

“SMOKE FROM YOUR CIGARETTE” (2:20) [Beacon BMI—Johnson]
The Mellows, featuring fern lead Lillian Leach, offer a top-notch sweet wax that should go big
in the sophisticate markets. It is a mellow ballad of a sentimental nature that could follow the
trend of some of its R & B sisters and grab off a big portion of pop sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYbqdk4jMk

“PRETTY BABY, WHAT’S YOUR NAME?” (2:0.5) [Beacon BMI—Brown]
The Mellows etch a jump on the flip and come off with a solid item. Good coupler, with “Smoke”
the number one side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_81Nmbfz4A

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-20-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 15, 1955

<164cfb6e5a357eb2d4e01f5fa6c4354e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43552&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43552

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:28:12 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:28 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JANUARY 15, 1955

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-01-15.pdf

Tearing myself away from watching the London Marathon on TV here this morning long enough to write this

> LOU MAC (Blue Lake 108)

> “COME BACK LITTLE DADDY” (2:4S) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
> Lou Mac a slow rhythmic blues pleading with her man to come hack. Good story and ok presentation.

Here's a YT clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACTc-n2WEA

> "HARD TO GET ALONG WITH” (2:45) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
> Lou Mac is still having male woes on this deck. A slow Southern blues done with fair effect.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Tgz-dW2o8

> THE CRYSTALS (DeLuxe 6077)

> “GOD ONLY KNOWS” (2:18) [Stenton BMI — Wright]
> The Crystals sing a slow ballad blues with a romantic set of lyrics. Fetching etching with lots of potential.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6FpcBNWGoo

> “MY GIRL” (2:37) [Lois BMI—Maud Whitson]
> The fellows pick up the tempo on the flip deck and knock out a middle tempo bouncer. Side moves and
> comes through with a good sound.

> Roger, is this the same version as this video of yours with the Rockin' version?

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsOMRjLx1o

Okay firstly I don't have EITHER version on actual record to compare for sure

What I do have is two mp3s each claiming to be the Rockin' and DeLuxe versions respectively

FWIW both are EXACTLY the same

Re: 4-20-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 15, 1955

<a476fe8f448900228c4f2b8a97495d32@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43554&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43554

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:44:14 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:44 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JANUARY 15, 1955

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-01-15.pdf

> Tearing myself away from watching the London Marathon on TV here this morning long enough to write this

>> LOU MAC (Blue Lake 108)

>> “COME BACK LITTLE DADDY” (2:4S) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
>> Lou Mac a slow rhythmic blues pleading with her man to come hack. Good story and ok presentation.

> Here's a YT clip

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACTc-n2WEA

>> "HARD TO GET ALONG WITH” (2:45) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
>> Lou Mac is still having male woes on this deck. A slow Southern blues done with fair effect.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Tgz-dW2o8

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> THE CRYSTALS (DeLuxe 6077)

>> “GOD ONLY KNOWS” (2:18) [Stenton BMI — Wright]
>> The Crystals sing a slow ballad blues with a romantic set of lyrics. Fetching etching with lots of potential.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6FpcBNWGoo

>> “MY GIRL” (2:37) [Lois BMI—Maud Whitson]
>> The fellows pick up the tempo on the flip deck and knock out a middle tempo bouncer. Side moves and
>> comes through with a good sound.

>> Roger, is this the same version as this video of yours with the Rockin' version?

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsOMRjLx1o

> Okay firstly I don't have EITHER version on actual record to compare for sure

> What I do have is two mp3s each claiming to be the Rockin' and DeLuxe versions respectively

> FWIW both are EXACTLY the same

Thanks. The Lou Mac is a solid 6, worth having.

Re: 4-20-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 15, 1955

<3b9a2jtvj0h1gv40q1vel0qqdj0j1de5e7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43555&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43555

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:02:05 -0400
 by: RWC - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:02 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:44:14 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>
>>> JANUARY 15, 1955
>
>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-01-15.pdf
>
>> Tearing myself away from watching the London Marathon on TV here this morning long enough to write this
>
>>> LOU MAC (Blue Lake 108)
>
>>> “COME BACK LITTLE DADDY” (2:4S) [Lou Mac & Bob Call]
>>> Lou Mac a slow rhythmic blues pleading with her man to come hack. Good story and ok presentation.
>
>> Here's a YT clip
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACTc-n2WEA
>
>Thanks. The Lou Mac is a solid 6, worth having.

Bruce, I think you would like many more Blue Lake label sides.

I, like Roger, have one or both (mostly both) sides of Blue Lake 101
thru 119.

Artists are:

Ann Carter
Baby Boy Warren