To stay youthful, stay useful.

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

SubjectAuthor
* According to ChatGPT why Adric is loatheThe Doctor
+* Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loatheUbiquitous
|`- Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loatheThe Doctor
`* Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathesolar penguin
 `- Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loatheThe Doctor

1
According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

<urkqog$2kon$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4353&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4353

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Subject: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:14:40 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 14:14 UTC

Adric, a companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors in Doctor Who, is a
character who often polarises fans, with some viewers expressing strong dislik
or frustration with his portrayal. Several factors contribute to Adric being
loathed as a companion:

Arrogance and Selfishness: Adric is portrayed as a highly intelligent but often
arrogant and self-centered character. He frequently exhibits a sense of
superiority towards others, particularly towards his fellow companions, and can
be dismissive of their contributions. Adric's self-serving behavior and lack of
empathy can make him difficult to sympathise with, alienating viewers who
prefer companions with more humility and compassion.

Poor Decision-Making: Adric's impulsiveness and tendency to act without
considering the consequences often lead to trouble for the Doctor and his
companions. He is known for making rash decisions and ignoring advice from more
experienced characters, resulting in dangerous situations and putting the lives
of others at risk. Adric's recklessness can frustrate viewers who expect
companions to demonstrate more prudence and foresight.

Lack of Character Development: Unlike many other companions in Doctor Who,
Adric is often criticised for his lack of significant character development
over the course of his tenure on the show. Despite being a central character
for several seasons, Adric's personality and motivations remain relatively
stagnant, with few opportunities for growth or evolution. This lack of
progression can make Adric feel one-dimensional and uninteresting compared
to other companions who undergo more substantial arcs.

Abrupt Departure: Adric's departure from Doctor Who is one of the most
memorable and controversial in the show's history. In the serial "Earthshock"
(1982), Adric sacrifices himself to save the Earth from destruction, a noble
act that elicits mixed reactions from fans. While some viewers appreciate the
emotional impact of Adric's sacrifice, others feel that his character deserved
a more satisfying conclusion or a chance for redemption before his untimely
demise.

Comparison to Other Companions: Adric is often unfavorably compared to other
companions who are more popular and beloved by fans. Characters like Sarah Jane
Smith, Jo Grant, and Rose Tyler are praised for their charisma, bravery, and
emotional depth, qualities that some viewers feel Adric lacks. This
unfavourable comparison can further contribute to Adric's reputation as a
disliked companion.

In summary, Adric is loathed as a companion in Doctor Who due to his perceived
arrogance, selfishness, poor decision-making, lack of character development,
and controversial departure from the series. While some fans appreciate his
intelligence and occasional moments of bravery, others find his flaws and
shortcomings difficult to overlook, leading to a divided opinion on his
character.

No wonder Tim Bruening was a big Adric Fan.

I wonder if Chris Chibnall is a big Adric Fan.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

<url78r$3b0v5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4354

From: weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Subject: Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:48:11 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:48 UTC

In article <urkqog$2kon$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote:

>Adric, a companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors in Doctor Who, is a
>character who often polarises fans, with some viewers expressing strong
>dislik or frustration with his portrayal. Several factors contribute to
>Adric being loathed as a companion:

I don't think I heard this opinion before.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

<url7pg$3b52p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4355&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4355

From: solar.penguin@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:57:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NevifHnHHueoRV75Ek1ivoeGWOY=
 by: solar penguin - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:57 UTC

Yes, yet another paste from Yellow Beard Yadallee:

> Adric, a companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors in Doctor Who, is a
> character who often polarises fans, with some viewers expressing strong dislik
> or frustration with his portrayal.

Dislik? Your bad spelling is starting to infect ChatGPT!

--
solar penguin

Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

<urljpu$14r2$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4356&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4356

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:22:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:22 UTC

In article <url78r$3b0v5$1@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>In article <urkqog$2kon$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>, doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote:
>
>>Adric, a companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors in Doctor Who, is a
>>character who often polarises fans, with some viewers expressing strong
>>dislik or frustration with his portrayal. Several factors contribute to
>>Adric being loathed as a companion:
>
>I don't think I heard this opinion before.

:-)

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: According to ChatGPT why Adric is loathe

<urljqf$14r2$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4357&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4357

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 21:22:23 -0000 (UTC)

In article <url7pg$3b52p$1@dont-email.me>,
solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, yet another paste from Yellow Beard Yadallee:
>
>> Adric, a companion of the Fourth and Fifth Doctors in Doctor Who, is a
>> character who often polarises fans, with some viewers expressing strong dislik
>> or frustration with his portrayal.
>
>Dislik? Your bad spelling is starting to infect ChatGPT!

Hmmm...