Wasting time is an important part of living.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: We don't care about lyrics

SubjectAuthor
* We don't care about lyricsBruce
+- Re: We don't care about lyricsbbug1
+* Re: We don't care about lyricsDianeE
|`* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
| `* Re: We don't care about lyricsRoger
|  +* Re: We don't care about lyricsbbug1
|  |`* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  | +* Re: We don't care about lyricsRWC
|  | |`* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  | | `* Re: We don't care about lyricsMark D.
|  | |  `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  | |   `* Re: We don't care about lyricsMark D.
|  | |    `- Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  | `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBobRoman
|  |  `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  |   `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBobRoman
|  |    `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  |     `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBobRoman
|  |      `- Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|  `* Re: We don't care about lyricsRWC
|   +* Re: We don't care about lyricsDianeE
|   |`- Re: We don't care about lyricsRoger
|   `* Re: We don't care about lyricsBruce
|    `- Re: We don't care about lyricsRWC
`- Re: We don't care about lyricsWill-Dockery

1
We don't care about lyrics

<8f537646d2470a992a486722b18b2bb0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43386&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43386

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: We don't care about lyrics
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:04:53 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 02:04 UTC

A guy in the Beatles group feels very similar to how I feel about lyrics.

He posted:

My take is music is no doubt about something ("meaning of lyrics"
sense) to those who need it to be about something, starting with
the composer. And that's fine. It's just that any aboutness simply
hasn't typically added much to my joy over/with songs.

Another example: the harmony and duration of the sustain of the
final "yeah" in "She Loves You" reaches much more deeply into
me than whatever the song is about, whatever it meant to others,
to history, etc.

Of *course* I've chanced upon all such analysis of such over the
years, but whereas such tends toward 'tl;dr', the sound of that
word presented by their voices at that moment in the song still
drops my jaw involuntarily.

I think part of what I was getting at was that I've tended to be more
into the music than the meaning of any lyrics. But that's not to say
I don't adore the *words* comprising the lyrics. However, for me the
important aspects of the words are more their pronunciation, syllable
metering, and musical notes underlying the vocalizing thereof.

Take "Help!", for example. Fantastic lyrics. And yet none of them
give me the kind of chills/goosebumps that the first "When" does.

The power of that "When" for me isn't what 'when' means: it's the
sound of the word, how it's vocally attacked, whatever musical note
is underlying it relative to its surroundings, and that it's a single
brief - yet sustained so exquisitely long - syllable sandwiched
between that wonderful descending guitar thing, and my all-time
favorite vocalist's voice entering the soundscape squarely in its
zone that's always moved/spoken to me - that voice itself.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<b8bcf78cda28f4b544aa89ecf567c5a7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43390&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43390

From: bbug1@optonline.net (bbug1)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: We don't care about lyrics
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:53:14 +0000
 by: bbug1 - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:53 UTC

Zzzzzzzz!

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<dJaQN.774781$xHn7.100529@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43393&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43393

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: DianeE@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 07:53:44 -0400
 by: DianeE - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:53 UTC

On 4/5/2024 10:04 PM, Bruce wrote:
> A guy in the Beatles group feels very similar to how I feel about lyrics.
> He posted:
>
> My take is music is no doubt about something ("meaning of lyrics"
> sense) to those who need it to be about something, starting with
> the composer. And that's fine. It's just that any aboutness simply
> hasn't typically added much to my joy over/with songs.
>

> Another example: the harmony and duration of the sustain of the
> final "yeah" in "She Loves You" reaches much more deeply into
> me than whatever the song is about, whatever it meant to others,
> to history, etc.
>

> Of *course* I've chanced upon all such analysis of such over the
> years, but whereas such tends toward 'tl;dr', the sound of that
> word presented by their voices at that moment in the song still
> drops my jaw involuntarily.
>
> I think part of what I was getting at was that I've tended to be more
> into the music than the meaning of any lyrics. But that's not to say
> I don't adore the *words* comprising the lyrics. However, for me the
> important aspects of the words are more their pronunciation, syllable
> metering, and musical notes underlying the vocalizing thereof.
>

> Take "Help!", for example. Fantastic lyrics. And yet none of them
> give me the kind of chills/goosebumps that the first "When" does.
>

> The power of that "When" for me isn't what 'when' means: it's the
> sound of the word, how it's vocally attacked, whatever musical note
> is underlying it relative to its surroundings, and that it's a single
> brief - yet sustained so exquisitely long - syllable sandwiched
> between that wonderful descending guitar thing, and my all-time
> favorite vocalist's voice entering the soundscape squarely in its
> zone that's always moved/spoken to me - that voice itself.
----------
'tl;dr' ????? What the hell is that?????

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<f5c7a3c7b7f81cf7ba93882b9b01de30@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43394&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43394

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:53:53 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:53 UTC

DianeE wrote:

> On 4/5/2024 10:04 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> A guy in the Beatles group feels very similar to how I feel about lyrics.
>> He posted:
>>
>> My take is music is no doubt about something ("meaning of lyrics"
>> sense) to those who need it to be about something, starting with
>> the composer. And that's fine. It's just that any aboutness simply
>> hasn't typically added much to my joy over/with songs.
>>

>> Another example: the harmony and duration of the sustain of the
>> final "yeah" in "She Loves You" reaches much more deeply into
>> me than whatever the song is about, whatever it meant to others,
>> to history, etc.
>>

>> Of *course* I've chanced upon all such analysis of such over the
>> years, but whereas such tends toward 'tl;dr', the sound of that
>> word presented by their voices at that moment in the song still
>> drops my jaw involuntarily.
>>
>> I think part of what I was getting at was that I've tended to be more
>> into the music than the meaning of any lyrics. But that's not to say
>> I don't adore the *words* comprising the lyrics. However, for me the
>> important aspects of the words are more their pronunciation, syllable
>> metering, and musical notes underlying the vocalizing thereof.
>>

>> Take "Help!", for example. Fantastic lyrics. And yet none of them
>> give me the kind of chills/goosebumps that the first "When" does.
>>

>> The power of that "When" for me isn't what 'when' means: it's the
>> sound of the word, how it's vocally attacked, whatever musical note
>> is underlying it relative to its surroundings, and that it's a single
>> brief - yet sustained so exquisitely long - syllable sandwiched
>> between that wonderful descending guitar thing, and my all-time
>> favorite vocalist's voice entering the soundscape squarely in its
>> zone that's always moved/spoken to me - that voice itself.
> ----------
> 'tl;dr' ????? What the hell is that?????

It's something YOU will appreciate.

TL;DR is an abbreviation for "too long; didn't read." It often appears in social media posts, online articles, blog posts, text messages, emails, and comments responding to various types of content.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<fcf49683e69d76accfab1b0994956e58@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43404&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43404

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52 UTC

What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?

Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?

So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<a48fed2268db6184b3b5983ba6c01407@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43406&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43406

From: bbug1@optonline.net (bbug1)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 20:02:42 +0000
 by: bbug1 - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 20:02 UTC

I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics? Were you just instigating in jest?

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<7pa31jhah8ismtbvs9vsgntubi9vbies8q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43407&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43407

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 16:10:01 -0400
 by: RWC - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 20:10 UTC

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
wrote:

>What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?
>
>Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?
>
>So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things

Thanks for supporting your pal Bruce, Roger.

Lyrics can be important, it depends on the recording...

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<cJuQN.493632$yEgf.366494@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43415&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43415

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: DianeE@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:39:03 -0400
 by: DianeE - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:39 UTC

On 4/6/2024 4:10 PM, RWC wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
> wrote:
>
>> What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?
>>
>> Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?
>>
>> So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things
>
> Thanks for supporting your pal Bruce, Roger.
>
> Lyrics can be important, it depends on the recording...
-----------
Well, this is as rare as a total eclipse: I agree with Geoff.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<3c68cb247e08a3dfb480455edc7c7091@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43416&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43416

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:14:31 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:14 UTC

DianeE wrote:

> On 4/6/2024 4:10 PM, RWC wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?
>>>
>>> Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?
>>>
>>> So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things
>>
>> Thanks for supporting your pal Bruce, Roger.
>>
>> Lyrics can be important, it depends on the recording...
> -----------
> Well, this is as rare as a total eclipse: I agree with Geoff.

Wow! That damned earthquake has a lot to answer for

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<3KOcnbFkoJZb_bn7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43549&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43549

From: will.dockery@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Will-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 00:41:42 +0000
 by: Will-Dockery - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 00:41 UTC

> Bruce wrote:
> A guy in the Beatles group feels very similar to how I feel about
lyrics.

> He posted:
>
> My take is music is no doubt about something ("meaning of
lyrics"
> sense) to those who need it to be about something, starting with
> the composer. And that's fine. It's just that any aboutness simply
> hasn't typically added much to my joy over/with songs.
>

> Another example: the harmony and duration of the sustain of the
> final "yeah" in "She Loves You" reaches much
more deeply into
> me than whatever the song is about, whatever it meant to others,
> to history, etc.
>

> Of *course* I've chanced upon all such analysis of such over the
> years, but whereas such tends toward 'tl;dr', the sound of that
> word presented by their voices at that moment in the song still
> drops my jaw involuntarily.
>
> I think part of what I was getting at was that I've tended to be
more
> into the music than the meaning of any lyrics. But that's not to
say
> I don't adore the *words* comprising the lyrics. However, for me
the
> important aspects of the words are more their pronunciation,
syllable
> metering, and musical notes underlying the vocalizing thereof.
>

> Take "Help!", for example. Fantastic lyrics. And yet none
of them
> give me the kind of chills/goosebumps that the first
"When" does.

> The power of that "When" for me isn't what 'when' means:
it's the
> sound of the word, how it's vocally attacked, whatever musical
note
> is underlying it relative to its surroundings, and that it's a
single
> brief - yet sustained so exquisitely long - syllable sandwiched
> between that wonderful descending guitar thing, and my all-time
> favorite vocalist's voice entering the soundscape squarely in its
> zone that's always moved/spoken to me - that voice itself.

Interesting take, although I can't say that I really agree, Brian a a
lyricist.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663065034#663065034

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<670b1b21dee4613f5dfcb0762ee9bd43@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43550&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43550

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:45:01 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:45 UTC

RWC wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
> wrote:

>>What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?
>>
>>Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?
>>
>>So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things

> Thanks for supporting your pal Bruce, Roger.

> Lyrics can be important, it depends on the recording...

Give us an example of a recording where you think the lyrics are important.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<da331b9b3174cd8d23e1b77242ad2061@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43551&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43551

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:44:04 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:44 UTC

bbug1 wrote:

> I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?

If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?

If you get the Crew Cuts "Earth Angel" it's just as good as the Penguins version if you are buying it "because" of the lyrics.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<ubca2jd94kmrfl6fg6o89212n2m8b0prnm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43556&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43556

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:54:56 -0400
 by: RWC - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:54 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:44:04 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>bbug1 wrote:
>
>> I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?
>
>If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?
>
>If you get the Crew Cuts "Earth Angel" it's just as good as the Penguins version if you are buying it "because" of the lyrics.

No, Bruce, it's not as simple as that.

A song that is liked because of the lyrics also has to get a pass

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<e7ea2jl9ijj3frq4ssq9nrgeu6rq67bf7h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43557&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43557

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:08:25 -0400
 by: RWC - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:08 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:45:01 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>RWC wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:52:23 +0000, mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
>> wrote:
>
>>>What about records like "Volare" or "Sukiyaki"?
>>>
>>>Both were HUGE hits on both sides of the pond but how many folk on either side understood the lyrics?
>>>
>>>So lyrics obviously can't be THAT important---otherwise people wouldn't have purchased these things
>
>> Thanks for supporting your pal Bruce, Roger.
>
>> Lyrics can be important, it depends on the recording...
>
>Give us an example of a recording where you think the lyrics are important.

Elvis - Old Shep; cornball as the lyrics might be

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<a8d1d8d1e576ed44c748590a8c2f1abe@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43558&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43558

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:50:45 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:50 UTC

RWC wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:44:04 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>>bbug1 wrote:
>>
>>> I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?
>>
>>If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?
>>
>>If you get the Crew Cuts "Earth Angel" it's just as good as the Penguins version if you are buying it "because" of the lyrics.

> No, Bruce, it's not as simple as that.

> A song that is liked because of the lyrics also has to get a pass

Then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<597c836db785cbc0ed6e982327dae0bb@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43559&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43559

From: robertjroman@gmail.com (BobRoman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:59:06 +0000
 by: BobRoman - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:59 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?

The people who purchased Whitney Houston's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner probably would not have bought Roseanne Barr's.

--
BR

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<b0e316553170b3d89aa84e46bba2bde6@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43560&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43560

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:30:27 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:30 UTC

BobRoman wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?

> The people who purchased Whitney Houston's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner probably would not have bought Roseanne Barr's.

So then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<YgSdnZr9MuDmFLj7nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43561&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43561

From: mdintenfass@xxnew.rr.com (Mark D.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:47:39 +0000
 by: Mark D. - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:47 UTC

On Apr 21, 2024 at 11:50:45 AM CDT, "Bruce" <Bruce> wrote:

> RWC wrote:

>>> If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing
>>> doesn't matter, right?
>>>
>>> If you get the Crew Cuts "Earth Angel" it's just as good as the Penguins
>>> version if you are buying it "because" of the lyrics.
>
>> No, Bruce, it's not as simple as that.
>
>> A song that is liked because of the lyrics also has to get a pass
>
> Then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

Nobody here ever said that records are bought JUST because of the lyrics. All
they have been saying is that the various pleasures of a record will sometimes
be increased because of the lyrics.

--md

remove "xx" for email

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<0a9b1d0ac724d21d68df02bc0d17259a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43562&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43562

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:25:15 +0000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:25 UTC

Mark D. wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2024 at 11:50:45 AM CDT, "Bruce" <Bruce> wrote:

>> RWC wrote:

>>> No, Bruce, it's not as simple as that.
>>
>>> A song that is liked because of the lyrics also has to get a pass
>>
>> Then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

> Nobody here ever said that records are bought JUST because of the lyrics. All
> they have been saying is that the various pleasures of a record will sometimes
> be increased because of the lyrics.

I guess you missed this post from Bill:

bbug1 - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:02
I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<fo6cneKwHpULWrj7nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43564&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43564

From: mdintenfass@xxnew.rr.com (Mark D.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:12:38 +0000
 by: Mark D. - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:12 UTC

On Apr 21, 2024 at 5:25:15 PM CDT, "Bruce" <Bruce> wrote:

>>> Then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.
>
>> Nobody here ever said that records are bought JUST because of the lyrics. All
>> they have been saying is that the various pleasures of a record will sometimes
>> be increased because of the lyrics.
>
> I guess you missed this post from Bill:
>
> bbug1 - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:02
> I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are
> purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?

What does Bill's opinions have to do with mine?

--md

remove "xx" for email

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<4f9c85a41d0b8b7a6a7b9f9ac6e817e1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43565&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43565

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:34:51 +0000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:34 UTC

Mark D. wrote:

>>> Nobody here ever said that records are bought JUST because of the lyrics. All
>>> they have been saying is that the various pleasures of a record will sometimes
>>> be increased because of the lyrics.
>>
>> I guess you missed this post from Bill:
>>
>> bbug1 - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:02
>> I thought you knew better than that, Roger. What about all the songs that are
>> purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?

> What does Bill's opinions have to do with mine?

You said, and I quote, "Nobody here ever said that records are bought JUST because of the lyrics."

I just showed you that Bill has said that.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<7f114206ebd0ae9fad3b6a741af3a47b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43566&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43566

From: robertjroman@gmail.com (BobRoman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:44:19 +0000
References: <8f537646d2470a992a486722b18b2bb0@www.novabbs.com> <dJaQN.774781$xHn7.100529@fx14.iad> <f5c7a3c7b7f81cf7ba93882b9b01de30@www.novabbs.com> <fcf49683e69d76accfab1b0994956e58@www.novabbs.com> <a48fed2268db6184b3b5983ba6c01407@www.novabbs.com> <da331b9b3174cd8d23e1b77242ad2061@www.novabbs.com> <597c836db785cbc0ed6e982327dae0bb@www.novabbs.com> <b0e316553170b3d89aa84e46bba2bde6@www.novabbs.com>
 by: BobRoman - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 02:44 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> BobRoman wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> If "songs" are purchased "because" of lyrics, then which artist is singing doesn't matter, right?

>> The people who purchased Whitney Houston's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner probably would not have bought Roseanne Barr's.

> So then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

Bill did not say "JUST for the lyrics." The people who buy any version of any country's national anthem will be doing so, at least in part, "for the lyrics."

You actually get the concept more than you admit. Even you appreciate that comedy songs benefit from the lyrics. So you understand that there are categories where lyrics are important. Whether you concede that more categories exist than just that one is not important.

--
BR

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<e49590d8d0af5daf59e6ea8912491f94@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43568&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43568

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:04:55 +0000
References: <8f537646d2470a992a486722b18b2bb0@www.novabbs.com> <dJaQN.774781$xHn7.100529@fx14.iad> <f5c7a3c7b7f81cf7ba93882b9b01de30@www.novabbs.com> <fcf49683e69d76accfab1b0994956e58@www.novabbs.com> <a48fed2268db6184b3b5983ba6c01407@www.novabbs.com> <da331b9b3174cd8d23e1b77242ad2061@www.novabbs.com> <597c836db785cbc0ed6e982327dae0bb@www.novabbs.com> <b0e316553170b3d89aa84e46bba2bde6@www.novabbs.com> <7f114206ebd0ae9fad3b6a741af3a47b@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Bruce - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:04 UTC

BobRoman wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> BobRoman wrote:

>>> The people who purchased Whitney Houston's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner probably would not have bought Roseanne Barr's.

>> So then it's not just being bought because of the lyrics.

> Bill did not say "JUST for the lyrics."

The just is understood with the way Bill worded it.

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<2ccc188ee725b7dc1e05758014846d70@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43570&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43570

From: robertjroman@gmail.com (BobRoman)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:54:59 +0000
References: <8f537646d2470a992a486722b18b2bb0@www.novabbs.com> <dJaQN.774781$xHn7.100529@fx14.iad> <f5c7a3c7b7f81cf7ba93882b9b01de30@www.novabbs.com> <fcf49683e69d76accfab1b0994956e58@www.novabbs.com> <a48fed2268db6184b3b5983ba6c01407@www.novabbs.com> <da331b9b3174cd8d23e1b77242ad2061@www.novabbs.com> <597c836db785cbc0ed6e982327dae0bb@www.novabbs.com> <b0e316553170b3d89aa84e46bba2bde6@www.novabbs.com> <7f114206ebd0ae9fad3b6a741af3a47b@www.novabbs.com> <e49590d8d0af5daf59e6ea8912491f94@www.novabbs.com>
 by: BobRoman - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:54 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> BobRoman wrote:

>> Bill did not say "JUST for the lyrics."

> The just is understood with the way Bill worded it.

"What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?"

I don't see it. If "because" was the same as "just because," Lloyd Price would have written a shorter song.

--
BR

Re: We don't care about lyrics

<fc8353402078b0b5f3cc4df0faefbf4b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43571&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43571

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 05:28:30 +0000
References: <8f537646d2470a992a486722b18b2bb0@www.novabbs.com> <dJaQN.774781$xHn7.100529@fx14.iad> <f5c7a3c7b7f81cf7ba93882b9b01de30@www.novabbs.com> <fcf49683e69d76accfab1b0994956e58@www.novabbs.com> <a48fed2268db6184b3b5983ba6c01407@www.novabbs.com> <da331b9b3174cd8d23e1b77242ad2061@www.novabbs.com> <597c836db785cbc0ed6e982327dae0bb@www.novabbs.com> <b0e316553170b3d89aa84e46bba2bde6@www.novabbs.com> <7f114206ebd0ae9fad3b6a741af3a47b@www.novabbs.com> <e49590d8d0af5daf59e6ea8912491f94@www.novabbs.com> <2ccc188ee725b7dc1e05758014846d70@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Bruce - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 05:28 UTC

BobRoman wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> BobRoman wrote:

>>> Bill did not say "JUST for the lyrics."

>> The just is understood with the way Bill worded it.

> "What about all the songs that are purchased BECAUSE of the lyrics?"

> I don't see it. If "because" was the same as "just because," Lloyd Price would have written a shorter song.

There's a reason why Bill put BECAUSE in CAPS.