From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Hard Up
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:19:33 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:19 UTC

"Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of potable water" is a
bike-survival rule, so I topped off my bottle with softenered water
from a drinking fountain. On the road, I tasted it, thought "I might
get hard up enough to drink this, but I don't have to drink it
*first*", and swapped it for the back-up bottle, still filled with
water I'd brought from home.

Ever since, I've been wondering about "hard up". I know what "hard"
means, and I know what "up" means, but if you put the two meanings
together, they don't mean "hard up".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Hard Up

<9kltti9qj1r25id07p2p4n11arffoq1gb8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4359&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4359

From: tppm@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Hard Up
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:47:02 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:47 UTC

On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:19:33 -0500, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>"Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of potable water" is a
>bike-survival rule, so I topped off my bottle with softenered water
>from a drinking fountain. On the road, I tasted it, thought "I might
>get hard up enough to drink this, but I don't have to drink it
>*first*", and swapped it for the back-up bottle, still filled with
>water I'd brought from home.
>
>Ever since, I've been wondering about "hard up". I know what "hard"
>means, and I know what "up" means, but if you put the two meanings
>together, they don't mean "hard up".

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hard-up

hard-up (adj.)

"in difficulties," especially "short of money," 1821, slang; it was
earlier a nautical expression, in reference to steering.
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com