The two most beautiful words in the English language are "Cheque Enclosed." -- Dorothy Parker

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

SubjectAuthor
* Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Dean
+- Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Bruce
`* Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Roger
 +* Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961DianeE
 |+- Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Bruce
 |+- Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961RWC
 |`- Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Roger
 `* Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Dean
  `- Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961Roger

1
Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<a653f3ebc79e21e88f01058e0578036f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43596&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43596

From: soulexpress@gmail.com (Dean)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 06:51:57 +0000
 by: Dean - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 06:51 UTC

Periodically, I produce a show called COUNTDOWN CLASSICS. The latest episode features Billboard magazine's top forty for the week ending April 24, 1961. You can hear it at the link below.

https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/countdown-classics-april-24-1961/

Editorial Note: When it comes to the years 1959-1962, I've had a hard time finding a weekly top forty that wasn't loaded with puke-inducing crap. If it's only a few songs, I'll go with it; but much of the time, a high percentage of what's on a chart from that period is unadulterated garbage.

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<ec6891e616e77929edcf58431b3e8f5d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43598&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43598

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:25:30 +0000
 by: Bruce - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:25 UTC

Well yeah, those years generally sucked as far as top 40 went.

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<f7e9f4a3022213683d459c96feff104f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43603&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43603

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:40:11 +0000
 by: Roger - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:40 UTC

Dean wrote:

> Periodically, I produce a show called COUNTDOWN CLASSICS. The latest episode features Billboard magazine's top forty for the week ending April 24, 1961. You can hear it at the link below.

> https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/countdown-classics-april-24-1961/

> Editorial Note: When it comes to the years 1959-1962, I've had a hard time finding a weekly top forty that wasn't loaded with puke-inducing crap. If it's only a few songs, I'll go with it; but much of the time, a high percentage of what's on a chart from that period is unadulterated garbage.

FWIW here's my take on that particular BB chart :-

1. RUNAWAY – Del Shannon
HUGE favorite from day one in 1961. #1 on both sides of Atlantic.A high 9

2. BLUE MOON – The Marcels
Same comments apply (even the #1 in both countries). An even higher 9

3, MOTHER-IN-LAW – Ernie K-Doe
On his way to US #1 memorable New Orleans favorite. Another 9

4. BUT I DO – Clarence “Frogman” Henry
Excellent number originally out in 1960 under original “I Don’t Know Why” title. An 8 here

5. ON THE REBOUND - Floyd Cramer
Likeable piano hit. A 6 for me

6. A Hundred Pounds Of Clay – Gene McDaniels
Never liked it then and nothing has changed

7. I’ve Told Every Little Star – Linda Scott
YUKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

8. YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME – Brenda Lee
Hardly Brenda’s best of the year but still worth a low 7

9. Take Good Care Of Her – Adam Wade
Sickly sweet and sentimental. What’s not to dislike?

10. ONE MINT JULEP – Ray Charles
Instrumental highlight from the “Genius+Soul=Jazz” LP. A 7 for me

11. Apache – Jorgen Ingmann
Weak and watery version of the MUCH,MUCH better UK #1 Shadows hit

12. Please Love Me Forever – Cathy Jean & Room Mates
The “so-bad-it’s-good” thing worked with Rosie & The Originals—but not here

13.. DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE – The Shirelles
My fave version of the song. Originally from 1959 and a 9 on my list that year

14. Baby Blue – The Echoes
So very twee it hurts. Excellent record to throw up to

15. ASIA MINOR – Kokomo
First out in 1960 and as I said about the Cramer above “Likeable piano hit. A 6 for me”

16. Tonight My Love,Tonight – Paul Anka
Typical Anka sugary pop for small girls

17. Portrait Of My Love – Steve Lawrence
Cover of the UK Matt Monro hit. This one is even more over orchestrated

18. Don’t Worry – Marty Robbins
Out in 1960 but this one falls way short of some of his other hits

19. Surrender – Elvis Presley
Not exactly Elvis’ finest hour

20. DADDY’S HOME – Shep & The Limelites
Excellent reworking of “A Thousand Miles Away”. High 8 on my list

21. Breakin’ In A Brand New Broken Heart – Connie Francis
Connie at her most cloying.

22. Please Tell Me Why – Jackie Wilson
A below par Jackie Wilson outing that never appealed to these ears

23. PONY TIME – Chubby Checker
Top notch Checker dancer! Boogitty boogitty boogitty shoo! An 8 here

24 WALK RIGHT BACK – The Everly Brothers
The Everlys manage to turn a then-unfinished Sonny Curtis song into a classic!! High 8

25. GEE WHIZ – Carla Thomas
First out on Satellite in 1960 always liked this one. A solid 7

26. Just For Old Time’s Sake – The McGuire Sisters
Shrill uninspiring pop. No thanks!

27. Find Yourself Another Girl – Jerry Butler
I have fond memories of meeting Jerry on a US trip but he’s far from his best here

28. TONIGHT I FELL IN LOVE – The Tokens
Liked this one a lot…but loathed the one later in 1961 that…um..roared…up those charts

29. THINK TWICE – Brook Benton
Beautiful ballad by Brook gets a 7 here. But check out the much later Jackie & LaVern XXX rated version!

30. FUNNY – Maxine Brown
One of my favorite femme records of the year gets a healthy 8

31. Tenderly – Bert Kaempfert
Trumpet solo on the old standard guaranteed to cure your insomnia

32. SHU-RAH – Fats Domino
Even second or even third tier Fats is better than lots of others. A 7 here

33. BUMBLE BOOGIE – B. Bumble & The Stingers
Bubbling under my instrumentals list is this updating of the old Rimsky-Korsakov rocker. A 6

34. Flaming Star – Elvis Presley
Uninspiring title song from his 1961 movie of the moment

35. Frogg - The Brothers Four
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

36. Brass Buttons - The String-A-Longs
Forgettable instrumental (and no, I didn’t like “Wheels” either)

37. HIDEAWAY – Freddy King
NOW you’re talkin’!!!

My Favorite Instrumentals List
1. Green Onions Booker T. & The MG’s - 1962
2. Honky Tonk-Part 2 Bill Doggett - 1956
3. Raunchy Bill Justis - 1957
4. Hideaway Freddy King - 1961
5. Last Night Mar-Keys – 1961

38. RUNNING SCARED – Roy Orbison
Roy at his Monument-al best on this dramatic ballad on its way to #1 spot. A 9 with me

39. WHAT’D I SAY – Jerry Lee Lewis
Can’t compare with Ray’s original but still helped bring Jerry back from the dead on both sides of the pond. A high 7

40. TRUST IN ME – Etta James
Etta’s attempt at another “At Last” doesn’t quite come off but still good enough to get a decent 7

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<sQXVN.9953$9pR2.6640@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43607&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43607

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: DianeE@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:51:51 -0400
 by: DianeE - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:51 UTC

On 4/23/2024 10:40 AM, Roger wrote:
> Dean wrote:
>
>> Periodically, I produce a show called COUNTDOWN CLASSICS. The latest
episode features Billboard magazine's top forty for the week ending
April 24, 1961. You can hear it at the link below.

>> https://www.mixcloud.com/dean-fiora/countdown-classics-april-24-1961/
>
>> Editorial Note: When it comes to the years 1959-1962, I've had a
hard time finding a weekly top forty that wasn't loaded with
puke-inducing crap. If it's only a few songs, I'll go with it; but much
of the time, a high percentage of what's on a chart from that period is
unadulterated garbage.

> FWIW here's my take on that particular BB chart :-

> 23. PONY TIME – Chubby Checker
> Top notch Checker dancer! Boogitty boogitty boogitty shoo! An 8 here
--------------
How do you rate Don Covay's original?

And no, I did not know about it until much much later. I can still do
the dance, though!

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<830b610c775568238a1c6be7b1b1b358@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43608&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43608

From: savoybg@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 00:39:17 +0000
 by: Bruce - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 00:39 UTC

For me "Pony Time" by CC is a solid 10. An incredibly exciting record with a tremendous sax break that comes in strongly. The DC version doesn't have near the energy or excitement of the Checker version, and also has a rather pedestrian and low energy mundane guitar break. Hopefully DC got lots of checks for writing the song.

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<qnkg2jdqpqfqentf1rn0ph5eo0r3f2u9dq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43609&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43609

From: letsrock@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:41:28 -0400
 by: RWC - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 00:41 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:51:51 -0400, DianeE <DianeE@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>On 4/23/2024 10:40 AM, Roger wrote:

> > 23. PONY TIME – Chubby Checker
> > Top notch Checker dancer! Boogitty boogitty boogitty shoo! An 8 here
>--------------
>How do you rate Don Covay's original?
>
>And no, I did not know about it until much much later. I can still do
>the dance, though!

Eddie Bond sings

"Well there ain't no style that Diane can't bop"

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<3e4e7b06a391453a04c7bed52e798d5e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43611&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43611

From: soulexpress@gmail.com (Dean)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 01:48:05 +0000
 by: Dean - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 01:48 UTC

Roger wrote:

<< 29. THINK TWICE – Brook Benton
Beautiful ballad by Brook gets a 7 here. But check out the much later Jackie & LaVern XXX rated version! >>

Two different songs with the same title.

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<1fb942dfe52472aeb5cd2743aed1de2e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43612&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43612

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:17:35 +0000
 by: Roger - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:17 UTC

#252 on my 1960 list and a low 7--okay I guess but not a patch on Chubby's version. I think Bruce sums it up well---Chubby has much the more powerful and energetic version on all levels

One thing that needs mentioning about The Goodtimers' original of "Pony Time" is that it supposedly recieved a UK release in March 1960 (tho its catalog # suggests April). The weird thing is that NOBODY over here ever seems to have seen the thing---in all the years I've been in this game I've NEVER seen a UK copy (on Pye International supposedly) and I don't know anyone else who has. I think it was stifled at birth and never released for some reason

The UK did produce its own cover version tho--here's Jimmy Lloyd (UK based black guy from Trinidad) on Philips with his March 1961 cover - mentioned here for sake of completeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPmrAauFpc

Re: Countdown Classics: April 24, 1961

<d3e77e3f8251c65db59e31c4e9e71f59@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=43613&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43613

From: mariabus@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:19:29 +0000
 by: Roger - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:19 UTC

Dean wrote:

> Roger wrote:

> << 29. THINK TWICE – Brook Benton
> Beautiful ballad by Brook gets a 7 here. But check out the much later Jackie & LaVern XXX rated version! >>

> Two different songs with the same title.

Ever had that feeling you could have worded a post a little better? :)