Events are not affected, they develop. -- Sri Aurobindo

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable

SubjectAuthor
* ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable asThe Doctor
+* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.Blueshirt
|`* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.The Doctor
| +* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.Cryptoengineer
| |+* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.D
| ||+- Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.The Doctor
| ||`* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.rkshullat
| || `- Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.The Doctor
| |`* Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.Gary McGath
| | `- Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.The Doctor
| `* Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)Keith F. Lynch
|  +- Re: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)The Doctor
|  `- Re: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)Scott Dorsey
+* Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorablCryptoengineer
|`- Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorablThe Doctor
`- Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorablThe Doctor

1
ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable as the 7th Doctor and argue why He would have been good if Doctor Who continued in the 1990s

<us7cr6$1m7$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4378&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4378

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv,can.arts.sf
Subject: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable as the 7th Doctor and argue why He would have been good if Doctor Who continued in the 1990s
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:13:42 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

Sylvester McCoy's portrayal of the Seventh Doctor in Doctor Who is often
praised for its complexity, depth, and unique approach to the character.
While his era as the Doctor faced challenges due to the show's cancellation
in 1989, there are compelling reasons to believe that McCoy would have
excelled if Doctor Who had continued into the 1990s:

Dark and Manipulative Persona: McCoy's Doctor was characterised by a darker
and more manipulative persona than his predecessors, which added layers of
complexity to the character. He was often depicted as a mysterious and
enigmatic figure, capable of outwitting his enemies through cunning and guile
rather than brute force. This darker interpretation of the Doctor resonated
with audiences and showcased McCoy's range as an actor.

Character Development: Throughout his tenure as the Doctor, McCoy's character
underwent significant development and growth, evolving from a whimsical and
eccentric figure into a more calculating and morally ambiguous hero. His
character arc explored themes of redemption, forgiveness, and the
consequences of one's actions, offering viewers a deeper understanding
of the Doctor's inner struggles and motivations.

Chemistry with Companions: McCoy's Doctor formed dynamic and memorable
relationships with his companions, including Ace (played by Sophie Aldred)
and Mel (played by Bonnie Langford). His interactions with his companions
were characterised by warmth, humor, and genuine affection, adding depth
and emotional resonance to the series.

Innovative Storytelling: McCoy's era as the Doctor was known for its
innovative storytelling and ambitious narrative arcs. Episodes such as
"Remembrance of the Daleks," "The Curse of Fenric," and "Survival" pushed
the boundaries of the series, exploring complex themes and pushing the
characters to their limits. McCoy's willingness to experiment with the format
and tone of Doctor Who paved the way for future iterations of the series.

Cultural Relevance: McCoy's Doctor addressed contemporary social and
political issues, including environmentalism, social inequality, and the
consequences of war. His era as the Doctor was characterized by a willingness
to tackle challenging and thought-provoking subjects, resonating with
audiences and critics alike.

Legacy and Influence: Despite Doctor Who's cancellation in 1989, McCoy's
portrayal of the Doctor left a lasting legacy on the series and its fandom.
His era continues to be celebrated by fans for its creativity, imagination,
and willingness to take risks. If Doctor Who had continued into the 1990s,
McCoy's Doctor would have undoubtedly continued to push the boundaries of the
series and inspire future generations of fans and creators.

In conclusion, Sylvester McCoy's portrayal of the Seventh Doctor in Doctor
Who was characterised by its complexity, depth, and innovation. His darker
and more manipulative persona, combined with his dynamic relationships
with his companions and innovative storytelling, made him a memorable
and compelling iteration of the character. If Doctor Who had continued
into the 1990s, McCoy would have undoubtedly continued to excel in the role,
further cementing his legacy as one of the most beloved Doctors in the
series' long history.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable

<us7lec$3sh4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4384&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4384

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good
and memorable
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 12:40:28 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:40 UTC

On 3/5/2024 11:26 AM, John Dallman wrote:
> You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr Who every
> day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks desperate.

Agreed. Dr Who has its own newsgroups. There's no need to saturate rasff
with the topic.

Its starting to feel like the old Thai-spammer is back.

pt

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<xn0oiz3dv4fx9gr000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4386&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4386

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:49:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:49 UTC

John Dallman wrote:

> You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr
> Who every day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks
> desperate.

Unfortunately Dave doesn't post about Doctor Who every day, even
in the Doctor Who themed newsgroups! He has posted a lot in
the last couple of weeks alright, but when I say 'he' that's not
technically correct as the body of the message is AI generated,
copied and pasted... and yes, it IS desperate!

Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable

<us898t$2o6h$9@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4388&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4388

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:18:54 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:18 UTC

In article <memo.20240305162602.17372Q@jgd.cix.co.uk>,
John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
>You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr Who every
>day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks desperate.

So what can you add for a discussion around here?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT was asked From Doctor Who, why was Sylvester McCoy good and memorable

<us899n$2o6h$10@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4389&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4389

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
and memorable
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:19:19 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:19 UTC

In article <us7lec$3sh4b$1@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/5/2024 11:26 AM, John Dallman wrote:
>> You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr Who every
>> day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks desperate.
>>
>Agreed. Dr Who has its own newsgroups. There's no need to saturate rasff
>with the topic.
>
>Its starting to feel like the old Thai-spammer is back.
>
>pt

Yes, I am not Google!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<us89ar$2o6h$11@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4390&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4390

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:19:55 -0000 (UTC)

In article <xn0oiz3dv4fx9gr000@news.eternal-september.org>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>John Dallman wrote:
>
>> You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr
>> Who every day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks
>> desperate.
>
>Unfortunately Dave doesn't post about Doctor Who every day, even
>in the Doctor Who themed newsgroups! He has posted a lot in
>the last couple of weeks alright, but when I say 'he' that's not
>technically correct as the body of the message is AI generated,
>copied and pasted... and yes, it IS desperate!

So who is doing new content?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<us8otq$6ta5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4391&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4391

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:46:02 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:46 UTC

On 3/5/2024 6:19 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <xn0oiz3dv4fx9gr000@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>> John Dallman wrote:
>>
>>> You know, nothing bad will happen if you don't post about Dr
>>> Who every day. Asking ChatGPT to write stuff for you looks
>>> desperate.
>>
>> Unfortunately Dave doesn't post about Doctor Who every day, even
>> in the Doctor Who themed newsgroups! He has posted a lot in
>> the last couple of weeks alright, but when I say 'he' that's not
>> technically correct as the body of the message is AI generated,
>> copied and pasted... and yes, it IS desperate!
>
> So who is doing new content?

Well, you're not.

AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
content.

pt

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<ebdbb3d4-96a7-7ad8-17f7-515deadcde41@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4392&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4392

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:47:23 +0100
 by: D - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:47 UTC

On Tue, 5 Mar 2024, Cryptoengineer wrote:

> On 3/5/2024 6:19 PM, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <xn0oiz3dv4fx9gr000@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately Dave doesn't post about Doctor Who every day, even
>>> in the Doctor Who themed newsgroups! He has posted a lot in
>>> the last couple of weeks alright, but when I say 'he' that's not
>>> technically correct as the body of the message is AI generated,
>>> copied and pasted... and yes, it IS desperate!
>>
>> So who is doing new content?
>
> Well, you're not.
>
> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
> content.
>
> pt

That's an interesting philosophical question actually, apart from the
spamming.

The older content are the building blocks, and they can be combined by an
AI in new ways. Just like our words are combined in news ways.

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<us9v2k$fboh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4393&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4393

From: garym@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:37:08 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:37 UTC

On 3/5/24 10:46 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:

> Well, you're not.
>
> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
> content.

The really annoying thing is the social media websites that want people
to let their AI write their posts for them. LinkedIn is constantly
urging its users to let its software rewrite their posts.

The reason is obvious. It gives LinkedIn more control. It also makes me
wonder if what I see in my feed is what the alleged authors wrote or
what LinkedIn's bot wrote.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<usa179$eo1$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4394&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4394

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:13:45 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

In article <us9v2k$fboh$1@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
>On 3/5/24 10:46 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
>

>> Well, you're not.
>>
>> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
>> content.
>
>The really annoying thing is the social media websites that want people
>to let their AI write their posts for them. LinkedIn is constantly
>urging its users to let its software rewrite their posts.
>
>The reason is obvious. It gives LinkedIn more control. It also makes me
>wonder if what I see in my feed is what the alleged authors wrote or
>what LinkedIn's bot wrote.

I would not use their AI service thank you!
>--
>Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<usa17v$eo1$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4395&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4395

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:14:08 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:14 UTC

In article <ebdbb3d4-96a7-7ad8-17f7-515deadcde41@example.net>,
D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Mar 2024, Cryptoengineer wrote:
>
>> On 3/5/2024 6:19 PM, The Doctor wrote:

>>> So who is doing new content?
>>
>> Well, you're not.
>>
>> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
>> content.
>>
>> pt
>
>That's an interesting philosophical question actually, apart from the
>spamming.
>
>The older content are the building blocks, and they can be combined by an
>AI in new ways. Just like our words are combined in news ways.

Exactly why AI is scary!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)

<usb3kg$bl7$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4397&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4397

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:01:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:01 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> So who is doing new content?

Me!

Ten years ago last Friday (March 1st), Relisha Rudd disappeared. She
was an 8-year-old child living with her parents in a homeless shelter
in DC. She was never seen again.

Ten years ago next Friday (March 8th), MH 370 disappeared, probably
somewhere in the Indian Ocean, along with all 239 people who were on
board. It was never seen again. It's by far the largest plane ever
to have simply vanished.

Can this be a mere coincidence? Or is there some connection between
these unfortunate events? We're fans, we're creative, let's come up
with a connection.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)

<usb3n8$1pkj$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4398

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:02:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:02 UTC

In article <usb3kg$bl7$1@reader1.panix.com>,
Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> So who is doing new content?
>
>Me!
>
>Ten years ago last Friday (March 1st), Relisha Rudd disappeared. She
>was an 8-year-old child living with her parents in a homeless shelter
>in DC. She was never seen again.
>
>Ten years ago next Friday (March 8th), MH 370 disappeared, probably
>somewhere in the Indian Ocean, along with all 239 people who were on
>board. It was never seen again. It's by far the largest plane ever
>to have simply vanished.
>
>Can this be a mere coincidence? Or is there some connection between
>these unfortunate events? We're fans, we're creative, let's come up
>with a connection.

X-files style?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<usdhsf$kb09$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4399

From: rkshullat@rosettacondot.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:16:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rkshullat@rosettacondot.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:16 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024, Cryptoengineer wrote:
>
>> On 3/5/2024 6:19 PM, The Doctor wrote:

>>> So who is doing new content?
>>
>> Well, you're not.
>>
>> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
>> content.
>>
>> pt
>
> That's an interesting philosophical question actually, apart from the
> spamming.
>
> The older content are the building blocks, and they can be combined by an
> AI in new ways. Just like our words are combined in news ways.

Regurgitation combines food in new ways. This is not necessarily an
improvement.

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.

<usdpvd$4o5$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4400&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4400

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:34:37 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:34 UTC

In article <usdhsf$kb09$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>,
<rkshullat@rosettacondot.com> wrote:
>D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

>>> Well, you're not.
>>>
>>> AI generated content isn't 'new'. Its a regurgitation of older
>>> content.
>>>
>>> pt
>>
>> That's an interesting philosophical question actually, apart from the
>> spamming.
>>
>> The older content are the building blocks, and they can be combined by an
>> AI in new ways. Just like our words are combined in news ways.
>
>Regurgitation combines food in new ways. This is not necessarily an
>improvement.

Welcome to the 21st Century!

> Robert
>--
>Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Disappearances (was Re: ChatGPT ... blah blah blah.)

<ut00f4$gj9$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4415&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4415

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 14 Mar 2024 23:15:48 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:15 UTC

Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> So who is doing new content?
>
>Ten years ago last Friday (March 1st), Relisha Rudd disappeared. She
>was an 8-year-old child living with her parents in a homeless shelter
>in DC. She was never seen again.
>
>Ten years ago next Friday (March 8th), MH 370 disappeared, probably
>somewhere in the Indian Ocean, along with all 239 people who were on
>board. It was never seen again. It's by far the largest plane ever
>to have simply vanished.
>
>Can this be a mere coincidence? Or is there some connection between
>these unfortunate events? We're fans, we're creative, let's come up
>with a connection.

This is nothing. A friend of mine lost thirty pounds, and then her
husband lost his mind so she lost her temper.
--scott