From: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com (Evelyn C. Leeper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: MT VOID, 03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:37:28 -0400
 by: Evelyn C. Leeper - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 15:37 UTC

THE MT VOID
03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
Mini Reviews, Part 20 (BANK OF DAVE, ALEXANDER--THE MAKING
OF A GOD, ORION AND THE DARK) (film reviews
by Mark R. Leeper and Evelyn C. Leeper)
SOME DESPERATE GLORY by Emily Tesh (audio book review
by Joe Karpierz)
Hugo Awards and Chengdu Worldcon, Oscar-Nominated Films,
OPPENHEIMER, BARBIE, and POOR THINGS
(letter of comment by Taras Wolansky)
Classical Podcasts (letter of comment by David Goldfarb)
This Week's Reading (KILLER IN THE RAIN) (book comments
by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: Mini Reviews, Part 20 (film reviews by Mark R. Leeper and
Evelyn C. Leeper)

This is twentieth batch of mini-reviews.

BANK OF DAVE (2023): BANK OF DAVE is based on a true story, about
how Dave Fishwick tried to start a community bank in Burnley. As
is usually the case with films based on true stories, there are
some liberties taken. For starters, there is no"Bank of Dave" in
real life; Fishwick had to settle for Burnley Savings and Loans, a
lending company. (It is true, however, that the institution has
lent over 30 million pounds to people in need, and has donated all
its profits to charity. There was also no villain (Charles Dance
in the movie) and no Def Leppard convert. The result is a film
which is predictable in its twists and turns and heart-warming
moments, a harmless enough way to pass an evening, but nothing
special. [-ecl]

Released theatrically 25 August 2023. Rating: +1 (-4 to +4), or
6/10.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14308636/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bank_of_dave>

ALEXANDER--THE MAKING OF A GOD (2024): ALEXANDER--THE MAKING OF A
GOD has an IMDb rating of 5.2, which makes it sound mediocre, but
when looks at the raw data, one discovers that about two-thirds of
the ratings are 1s. The unweighted mean is 2.8; the 5.2 gives more
weight to votes from people who have voted on other films. What
has happened here is that the Radical Right has run a campaign to
get people to downrate it because gasp! it shows Alexander as
bisexual. The fact that he *was* bisexual (at least engaged in
behavior we would now label as bisexual) apparently doesn't hold
any weight with the Radical Right--alternative facts, you know.

(For what it's worth, Oliver Stone's ALEXANDER gets a 5.6, but it
comes by it honestly, at least based on the bell-shaped curve of
votes.)

The film is actually a mix of documentary about excavations in
Alexandria and other research about Alexander, and dramatizations
of events in Alexander's life up to his conquest of Babylon. This
sort of thing has been done on a smaller scale on the History
Channel (at least back when they did history shows on the History
Channel. My major complaint with the dramatizations is that the
scriptwriter has decided to use Western-style nicknames: "Alex" for
Alexander, "Ptol" for Ptolomy, and so on. I just don't believe
that anyone called Ptolomy "Ptol".

The major complaint real film reviewers have is one I can agree
with: the transitions back and forth between documentary and
dramatization leave the viewer a bit jerked around, and reminded me
of the feeling one got when watching television in the old days (or
Tubi or YouTube now) and having a show or a movie suddenly
interrupted by a commercial.

I would love to see a sequel to this, covering Alexander's
conquests after Babylon, but I have a feeling that won't happen.
[-ecl]

Released on Netflix 31 January 2024. Rating: +2 (-4 to +4), or
7/10.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27494999/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/alexander_the_making_of_a_god>

ORION AND THE DARK (2024): ORION AND THE DARK is an animated film
written by Charlie Kaufman based on the book by Emma Yarlett. I
had hoped for something more Charlie-Kaufman-esque, but given that
it's a TV-Y7 film, that was hoping for too much. It's probably
okay for kids, but even with a few throwaway references for adults
it's probably not worth the time for them. [-ecl]

Released on Netflix 02 February 2024. Rating: high +1 (-4 to +4),
or 6/10.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28066777/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/orion_and_the_dark>

TOPIC: SOME DESPERATE GLORY by Emily Tesh (copyright 2023,
Macmillan Audio, 15 hours and 56 minutes, ASIN: B09YHXVMGB,
narrated by Sena Bryer) (audio book review by Joe Karpierz)

About a week ago as I write this, a long time friend of mine whom I
jokingly call my editor because I run all my reviews by him and let
him catch my grammatical, spelling, and potentially logical
mistakes and I sat down for one of our periodic Google Meet calls
(he lives in California, and I'm in Illinois). One of the many and
varied topics in our nearly four hour call was 2023 books from the
Locus Recommended Reading list that I had read (I was shocked to
discover that I had read eight of them, and am currently in the
process of reading, er, listening to a ninth). I've just gone over
that list again, and while there are some pretty good books on it,
and there are five that I'm planning on nominating for the Best
Novel Hugo (and no, I'm not going to talk about that mess here or
anywhere else), there is one that stands head shoulders above the
rest of them: the debut novel from Emily Tesh, SOME DESPERATE
GLORY.

The story seems fairly standard at first glance. The Earth and its
population have been devastated--no, eradicated--by an alien race.
Most of what's left of humanity has scattered to the stars. The
remaining humans have vowed to fight the aliens to exact their
revenge. They live on Gaea Station, where residents are rigidly
segmented and trained for various roles to take the fight to the
aliens or help preserve the human race. They are grouped into
cohorts, and when they have finished their training, they each get
their assignments. Our protagonist, Kyr, is a highly trained and
talented warrior who is the leader of her cohort. As the
assignments are passed out and revealed, Kyr learns that she has
been assigned to the nursery. And that's exactly what it sounds
like. Kyr will spend the rest of her life pumping out babies to
help preserve the future of the human race. As each of her cohort
leaves her to go to their assignments, we learn
a very important fact: no one likes Kyr.

I have a very mixed relationship with character in stories.
Characters aren't necessarily important to me, but I also know that
they are important to a story. My general reaction is that a
character is doing a thing because the story calls for it, and I
usually don't have a strong reaction to any one character. In this
case, I found Kyr extremely unlikeable. There's no empathy, no
sympathy, no relating to other characters. She is driven to
preserve the human race and she just can't see why nobody else
feels the same way. I was truly turned off by her character (At
one point I asked my wife, who had read the book before I did, if
there's some sort of redemption arc for Kyr, because at that moment
in time I really didn't care if Kyr was killed off or not. She
asked where I was in the book, and all she said was that I had a
long way to go and just keep reading. That, of course, did not
answer my question, which it shouldn't have.).

It is supposed to be impossible to escape Gaea station, but Kyr's
brother (who was in another cohort) does just that. Kyr is already
angry with her sister, who did the same thing and who Kyr thinks of
as a traitor. The difference is that her brother is supposedly
assigned to what amounts to a death squad, and with the help of a
friend of her brother's discovers where he's been sent and what his
assignment is. With the help of the friend, she finds a way to get
off the station and get to the planet where he's at, to try to talk
him out of it. What and who she finds on that planet begins to
change her view of everything, including what is really going on at
Gaea Station.

I haven't really talked about the aliens at all, and while Kyr
eventually befriends one of the aliens, what is interesting is the
reality altering "Wisdom", a tool that was developed long ago and
that the aliens trust because "it always does the right thing".
Where it came from, how they know it always does the right thing,
and how they came to control it is not the point of the exercise
here. It is a tool that is central to the story because it causes
one of the biggest, blindside twists I've seen in a novel in a very
long time. I truly did not see it coming, and when I mentioned it
to my wife she only said "Ah, yeah. It just gets weirder."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: MT VOID, 03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318

<sA5E7K.t2G@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4405&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4405

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:59:44 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:59 UTC

In article <uskk3o$31f22$1@dont-email.me>,
Evelyn C. Leeper <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:
>My major complaint with the dramatizations is that the
>scriptwriter has decided to use Western-style nicknames: "Alex" for
>Alexander, "Ptol" for Ptolomy, and so on. I just don't believe
>that anyone called Ptolomy "Ptol".

[Hal Heydt]
My father who had been there when sailing on commerical ships and
possibly when he was in the Navy, usually referred to Aledandria,
Egypt as "Alex".

We know that he was there because after the older of my two
sisters died, in the accumulated papers we fund a document
permitting him shore leave there from a ship on wheich he was
part of the crew. One half is signed by the ship's captain and
is in English. The other half was signed by the local Chief of
Police and written in Arabic.