My mother is a fish. -- William Faulkner

arts / rec.arts.movies.past-films / Re: These Kids Today

SubjectAuthor
* These Kids TodayBill Anderson
`- These Kids Todaygtr

1
Re: These Kids Today

<XRCdneZj5byhdA35nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5340&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5340

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Re: These Kids Today
From: billanderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:48:12 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:48 UTC

Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
> wlah...@gmail.com <wlahearn@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well that is certainly a suggestion!
>>

>> No, it isn't. It will stunt that kid's film appreciation by about 105
>> points. Find something fun for starters. Like King Kong or the Marx
>> Brothers or even Chaplin.
>>

> The Marx Brothers. Of course. Thanks, William. Now I have to decide on
> which one. Duck Soup maybe. The earlier ones may be too stagebound.

Well it took a while, but we finally got around to another lesson in movie
appreciation. I told him we were going to watch a Marx Brothers movie this
afternoon but I couldn’t decide whether to show him one of their earliest
or a later, more polished production like A Night at the Opera. I explained
that Animal Crackers was produced about the time that was depicted in one
of his favorite movies, Singing in the Rain, (sound problems and all) and
he immediately decided that that was the one he wanted to watch. I was
dubious, but it turned out the Marx magic ruled the day. He loved it,
called it a great movie. He thought the music was excellent, laughed at the
jokes, was fascinated by Groucho’s mustache, and overall just had a good
time.

I think he really appreciates the effort I am making to introduce him to
movie classics. He is working this summer as a busboy at a high class
country club and he said the other evening when he heard his boss mention
Singing in the Rain he commented, “that Gene Kelly really knows how to wear
a suit.” Apparently the boss was flabbergasted and the kid was pretty
proud of his movie knowledge.

And now he knows who the Marx Brothers are.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: These Kids Today

<u6r34c$2bana$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5341&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5341

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 02:32:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 02:32 UTC

On Jun 19, 2023 at 4:48:12 PM PDT, "Bill Anderson" <billanderson@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> wlah...@gmail.com <wlahearn@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, it isn't. It will stunt that kid's film appreciation by about 105
>>> points. Find something fun for starters. Like King Kong or the Marx
>>> Brothers or even Chaplin.
>>>

>> The Marx Brothers. Of course. Thanks, William. Now I have to decide on
>> which one. Duck Soup maybe. The earlier ones may be too stagebound.
>>

> Well it took a while, but we finally got around to another lesson in movie
> appreciation. I told him we were going to watch a Marx Brothers movie this
> afternoon but I couldn’t decide whether to show him one of their earliest
> or a later, more polished production like A Night at the Opera. I explained
> that Animal Crackers was produced about the time that was depicted in one
> of his favorite movies, Singing in the Rain, (sound problems and all) and
> he immediately decided that that was the one he wanted to watch. I was
> dubious, but it turned out the Marx magic ruled the day. He loved it,
> called it a great movie. He thought the music was excellent, laughed at the
> jokes, was fascinated by Groucho’s mustache, and overall just had a good
> time.
>
> I think he really appreciates the effort I am making to introduce him to
> movie classics. He is working this summer as a busboy at a high class
> country club and he said the other evening when he heard his boss mention
> Singing in the Rain he commented, “that Gene Kelly really knows how to wear
> a suit.” Apparently the boss was flabbergasted and the kid was pretty
> proud of his movie knowledge.
>
> And now he knows who the Marx Brothers are.

I'm glad it worked well for you. I always considered "A Night at the Opera"
the least of the Marx Brothers, and "Duck Soup" as their apogee. But you can't
argue with genuine laughter as anything but a bull's eye.