Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 07:48:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Angel Wagenstein, 100, Bulgarian screenwriter/novelist
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:48 UTC

A.k.a. Angel Vagenshtain.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0883074/

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Georgi Djulgerov

"Angel Vagenshtain was born on 17 October 1922 in Plovdiv (second-largest city in Bulgaria). In 1950 he completed a degree in Screenwriting in Moscow. He wrote the scripts for 50 feature, documentary and animated films. In 1950 he began work as a screenwriter for the Bulgarian Cinematography and for the DEFA Film Studio. The film Stars, based on his screenplay, was made in 1959 by the German director Konrad Wolf, and won the Special Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. Some of the best known films, whose screenplays he wrote, are Goya or the Hard Way to Enlightenment (1971), Amendment to the Law for the Defence of the State (1976), Stars in Her Hair, Tears in Her Eyes (1977), Boris I (1985) and After the End of the World (1998). In the 1990s he devoted his time to writing fiction and published the three novels Isaac's Torah, Far from Toledo and Farewell, Shanghai, receiving international literary recognition for the last two. His books have been translated in many foreign languages, including in French, English, Russian, German, Spanish, and Italian."

https://newsbeezer.com/bulgariaeng/angel-wagenstein-is-gone-btv-news/
(with photos)

Angel Wagenstein is gone – bTV News

June 29, 2023 Bulgaria
Bulgarian director, screenwriter, writer and public figure Angel Wagenstein died at the age of 100.

“I have had the honor and good fortune to meet and communicate closely with Angel and every meeting with him has been an amazing experience. A brilliant screenwriter and author, Angel was above all a humanist and campaigner for social justice. The Jewish community in Bulgaria has lost one of its brightest faces. Sincere condolences to Jackie, Raymond and the entire family. Helle Strasse, Angel, and see you again! They hit fast!” With that, the ophthalmologist Dr. Alexander Oskar expresses his grief over the loss of Wagenstein.

“Angel’s wish is to be placed in a close family circle. “On the 30th day, as Jewish tradition dictates, we will organize an event at the Central Sofia Synagogue and remember Angel,” he also announced.

Angel Wagenstein was born on October 17, 1922. He wrote the screenplays for 52 feature, documentary and animated films. He is the author of plays for adults and children, which are performed at home and abroad. His novels from the trilogy “Isaac’s Pentateuch”, “Far from Toledo” and “Goodbye, Shanghai” are dedicated to the fate of the Jews in World War II.

Wagenstein’s novels have been translated into six languages ​​since the 1990s. He is the recipient of numerous Bulgarian and foreign awards.

Born into a left-wing Jewish family, he became a member of the RMS at the age of 16 and was actively involved in human rights defense formats before and after the fall of Todor Zhivkov.

“As he says, ‘being 100 isn’t heroic,’ but everything else in his life is. Hardly most of us would have many opportunities to touch such a “miracle”. “It is an honor and a responsibility for me to be a small part of the century that Jackie and I have walked the earth together,” said Wagenstein’s granddaughter Jacqueline at the commemoration of his 100th birthday.

Bright memory!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Wagenstein
(oddly, this does not include his bibliography)

Excerpt:

"Wagenstein was born in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, but spent his childhood in France where his Jewish family emigrated for political reasons due to their leftist politics.

"Angel Wagenstein returned to Bulgaria due to an amnesty, and as a student at a lyceum, where he joined an anti-fascist group. He was interned in a labour camp for Jews in Macedonia, but escaped from it. After a combat mission, he was arrested and condemned to death in 1944, but the execution was first delayed by the Anglo-American bombing of Sofia, which destroyed parts of the prison and forced the relocation of the inmates to another facility, and then prevented by the anti-fascist (mostly Communist) takeover and the roughly simultaneous invasion of the Soviet Red Army..."

https://www.umass.edu/defa/people/664
(another bio)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/angel-wagenstein/
(two Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/611437.Angel_Wagenstein
(reader reviews, in multiple languages)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Angel+Wagenstein&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjC_aOc3Oj_AhW6k4kEHYIgCJYQ0pQJegQIChAB&biw=1920&bih=882&dpr=1
(videos - I don't know if any are in English or not)