You have an unusual understanding of the problems of human relationships.

arts / rec.arts.animation / Re: good animation software?

SubjectAuthor
* good animation software?candycanearter07
+* good animation software?MarioCCCP
|`- good animation software?candycanearter07
+* good animation software?rdh
|`* good animation software?candycanearter07
| `* good animation software?rdh
|  `- good animation software?rek2 hispagatos
`- good animation software?candycanearter07

1
good animation software?

<ufvr8c$3c8sf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=540&group=rec.arts.animation#540

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,creative.linux,rec.arts.animation,rec.photo.digital
Subject: good animation software?
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 22:15:24 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 03:15 UTC

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any good general purpose animation software
(for Linux) that anyone knew about?

I've tried aseprite, krita, pencil2d, and blender, but all of them have
been kinda buggy/don't fit my purposes.

Thanks

Re: good animation software?

<ug1051$3u3d5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=541&group=rec.arts.animation#541

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,creative.linux,rec.arts.animation,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: good animation software?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 15:45:05 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 13:45 UTC

On 09/10/23 05:15, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was any good general purpose
> animation software (for Linux) that anyone knew about?
>
> I've tried aseprite, krita, pencil2d, and blender, but all
> of them have been kinda buggy/don't fit my purposes.
>
> Thanks

disclaimer : I have never managed to get anything done in
animation, despite being "theoretically" fond of it ...

anyway, the sw you mentioned are not particularly fit imho
(apart from blender, if you meant 3D animation).

Have a look at
synfig studio,
tupi 2d magic,
Alice3,
javamorph (to interpolate similar pictures)

ciao

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: good animation software?

<9YTUM.2596$3l%9.105@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=542&group=rec.arts.animation#542

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,rec.arts.animation
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 09:17:40 -0500
 by: rdh - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:17 UTC

Synfig Studio[1] kind of reminds me of older versions of Adobe Flash,
but when last I used it, it was extremely buggy and crashed pretty
frequently. That was a while ago, so it may be better now.

OpenToonz[2] was proprietary animation software used by some high
profile studios, such as Rough Draft and Studio Ghibli, so it should be
fairly stable. It's more geared toward traditional, frame by frame
animation, and AFAIK doesn't have any tweening capability.

In my experience, Blender and Krita are also extremely stable, but but
I'm not much of an animator so I don't use them a whole lot.

[1] https://www.synfig.org/
[2] https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

Re: good animation software?

<ug1r3m$1f77$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=543&group=rec.arts.animation#543

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,creative.linux,rec.arts.animation,rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 16:25:09 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:25 UTC

On 10/9/23 08:45, MarioCCCP wrote:
> anyway, the sw you mentioned are not particularly fit imho (apart from
> blender, if you meant 3D animation).
>
> Have a look at
> synfig studio,

Definitely seems interesting, I'll look at it.

> tupi 2d magic,

Do you mean tupitube? That's all I could find on the repository.

> Alice3,

Seems to be more programming based..

> javamorph (to interpolate similar pictures)

More just looking for a simple key frame editor, thanks tho.

> ciao

Re: good animation software?

<ug1rei$1f78$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=544&group=rec.arts.animation#544

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,rec.arts.animation
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 16:30:57 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 21:30 UTC

On 10/9/23 09:17, rdh wrote:
> Synfig Studio[1] kind of reminds me of older versions of Adobe Flash,
> but when last I used it, it was extremely buggy and crashed pretty
> frequently. That was a while ago, so it may be better now.

Oh sweet! I used to use Flash CS5, so it should feel somewhat familiar

> OpenToonz[2] was proprietary animation software used by some high
> profile studios, such as Rough Draft and Studio Ghibli, so it should be
> fairly stable. It's more geared toward traditional, frame by frame
> animation, and AFAIK doesn't have any tweening capability.

THAT'S what it was called! I used it years ago, but didn't like the UI
very much. And I *think* it messes up on using sound effects for me

> In my experience, Blender and Krita are also extremely stable, but but
> I'm not much of an animator so I don't use them a whole lot.

Krita is wonderful for drawing, but the animation interface is kinda
buggy for me. Like, moving the mouse over the timeline scrollbar makes
it jump to the mouse and also messes with the zoom. And audio is pretty
difficult to work with.

> [1] https://www.synfig.org/
> [2] https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

Re: good animation software?

<4zeVM.38167$sxoa.11704@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=545&group=rec.arts.animation#545

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,rec.arts.animation
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 11:01:04 -0500
 by: rdh - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:01 UTC

On 10/9/23 16:30, candycanearter07 wrote:
> THAT'S what it was called! I used it years ago, but didn't like the UI
> very much. And I *think* it messes up on using sound effects for me

TBH I was also never very impressed by Flash's audio capabilities
either. I think if I were to get serious about animating, I would just
add the audio later in a standalone video editor, like kdenlive or
similar. Only use the animation software's built in audio for getting
the timing right.

Re: good animation software?

<ug449c$2ejql$2@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=546&group=rec.arts.animation#546

Followup: comp.os.linux.misc
From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,rec.arts.animation
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:14:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:14 UTC

On 2023-10-10, rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:
> On 10/9/23 16:30, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> THAT'S what it was called! I used it years ago, but didn't like the UI
>> very much. And I *think* it messes up on using sound effects for me
>>

> TBH I was also never very impressed by Flash's audio capabilities
> either. I think if I were to get serious about animating, I would just
> add the audio later in a standalone video editor, like kdenlive or
> similar. Only use the animation software's built in audio for getting
> the timing right.

Adobe Flash? you just brought a lot of bad memories to me specially
as a CyberSec Proffesional Adobe specially flash was a nightmare
html5 FTW

Happy Hacking
ReK2
--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: good animation software?

<ugraju$3t15g$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=552&group=rec.arts.animation#552

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,creative.linux,rec.arts.animation,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:23:08 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:23 UTC

On 10/8/23 22:15, candycanearter07 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was any good general purpose animation software
> (for Linux) that anyone knew about?
>
> I've tried aseprite, krita, pencil2d, and blender, but all of them have
> been kinda buggy/don't fit my purposes.
>
> Thanks

Update: Krita finally fixed the animation-audio desync issue in 5.2, so
I might go back to it.

"We’re happy to share that two major pain points for animation got
tackled: synchronized playback of audio (MR 1323) and simplifying video
export (MR 1599)."
https://krita.org/en/krita-5-2-release-notes/