It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.

arts / rec.arts.movies.past-films / Re: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY FATHER???S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER???S CASTLE (1990) on the other)

SubjectAuthor
* MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the otherBill Anderson
`* MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY Fgtr
 `* MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990)Bill Anderson
  `- MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY Fgtr

1
MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other

<OLKcnThTHIho_Ov4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5543&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5543

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:12:21 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:12 UTC

Marcel Pagnol, 1895-1974 was a beloved French novelist, playwright, and
filmmaker. His plays were hugely popular on stage, but he was not
interested in making movies until the advent of sound enabled him to
transfer his playwriting skills onto the big screen. His “Marseilles
Trilogy“ comprising the films MARIUS, FANNY, and CESAR remain an endearing
story which if you have never seen you really ought to get busy. All three
were restored to high definition Blu-ray format a few years ago and it is a
terrific box set.

Back in 1990 two of his autobiographical novels, My Father‘s Glory and My
Mother’s Castle, were made into movies by Yves Robert and they are among my
favorites. They tell of Marcel‘s life as a child in Marseille and in the
mountains outside of town where the Pagnol family owned a very modest
weekend retreat. We see the future man of letters learn about life in a
fascinating city and the rustic hills of Provence in the early years of the
20th century. They are gentle movies: lovely, amusing, and fascinating
glimpses of a world that no longer exists.

Earlier this week some friends came over for a movie night and I showed
them the second of the two movies, My Mother’s Castle, because I think it
is the stronger of the two. They liked it so much we ended up watching
both.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY FATHER???S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER???S CASTLE (1990) on the other)

<ul6cf2$32tc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5544&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5544

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:07:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 07:07 UTC

On Dec 10, 2023 at 5:12:21 PM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> Marcel Pagnol, 1895-1974 was a beloved French novelist, playwright, and
> filmmaker. His plays were hugely popular on stage, but he was not
> interested in making movies until the advent of sound enabled him to
> transfer his playwriting skills onto the big screen. His “Marseilles
> Trilogy“ comprising the films MARIUS, FANNY, and CESAR remain an endearing
> story which if you have never seen you really ought to get busy. All three
> were restored to high definition Blu-ray format a few years ago and it is a
> terrific box set.
>
> Back in 1990 two of his autobiographical novels, My Father‘s Glory and My
> Mother’s Castle, were made into movies by Yves Robert and they are among my
> favorites. They tell of Marcel‘s life as a child in Marseille and in the
> mountains outside of town where the Pagnol family owned a very modest
> weekend retreat. We see the future man of letters learn about life in a
> fascinating city and the rustic hills of Provence in the early years of the
> 20th century. They are gentle movies: lovely, amusing, and fascinating
> glimpses of a world that no longer exists.
>
> Earlier this week some friends came over for a movie night and I showed
> them the second of the two movies, My Mother’s Castle, because I think it
> is the stronger of the two. They liked it so much we ended up watching
> both.

A most intrigueing recommendation--I'm on it!

I've seen the trilogy at least twice, and also the habbled and fascinating
Frankensteinian 1961 version of "Fanny." I note now that there was yet another
version of "Fanny" done in 2013. I guess I'll have to see that too...

Re: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other)

<SuicnQb9l6_2kOr4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5545&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5545

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Re: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990)
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:23:55 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:23 UTC

gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2023 at 5:12:21 PM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Marcel Pagnol, 1895-1974 was a beloved French novelist, playwright, and
>> filmmaker. His plays were hugely popular on stage, but he was not
>> interested in making movies until the advent of sound enabled him to
>> transfer his playwriting skills onto the big screen. His “Marseilles
>> Trilogy“ comprising the films MARIUS, FANNY, and CESAR remain an endearing
>> story which if you have never seen you really ought to get busy. All three
>> were restored to high definition Blu-ray format a few years ago and it is a
>> terrific box set.
>>
>> Back in 1990 two of his autobiographical novels, My Father‘s Glory and My
>> Mother’s Castle, were made into movies by Yves Robert and they are among my
>> favorites. They tell of Marcel‘s life as a child in Marseille and in the
>> mountains outside of town where the Pagnol family owned a very modest
>> weekend retreat. We see the future man of letters learn about life in a
>> fascinating city and the rustic hills of Provence in the early years of the
>> 20th century. They are gentle movies: lovely, amusing, and fascinating
>> glimpses of a world that no longer exists.
>>
>> Earlier this week some friends came over for a movie night and I showed
>> them the second of the two movies, My Mother’s Castle, because I think it
>> is the stronger of the two. They liked it so much we ended up watching
>> both.
>
> A most intrigueing recommendation--I'm on it!
>
> I've seen the trilogy at least twice, and also the habbled and fascinating
> Frankensteinian 1961 version of "Fanny." I note now that there was yet another
> version of "Fanny" done in 2013. I guess I'll have to see that too...

Daniel Auteuil remade Marius and Fanny in 2013 but it appears production of
Cesar is permanently on hold. Auteuil also remade The Well-Diggers Daughter
and that is a film you don’t want to miss.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: MY FATHER’S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER’S CASTLE (1990) on the other (was: MY FATHER???S GLORY (1990) and MY MOTHER???S CASTLE (1990) on the other)

<ul7kad$39167$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5546&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5546

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:27:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:27 UTC

On Dec 11, 2023 at 5:23:55 AM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>> On Dec 10, 2023 at 5:12:21 PM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Marcel Pagnol, 1895-1974 was a beloved French novelist, playwright, and
>>> filmmaker. His plays were hugely popular on stage, but he was not
>>> interested in making movies until the advent of sound enabled him to
>>> transfer his playwriting skills onto the big screen. His “Marseilles
>>> Trilogy“ comprising the films MARIUS, FANNY, and CESAR remain an endearing
>>> story which if you have never seen you really ought to get busy. All three
>>> were restored to high definition Blu-ray format a few years ago and it is a
>>> terrific box set.
>>>
>>> Back in 1990 two of his autobiographical novels, My Father‘s Glory and My
>>> Mother’s Castle, were made into movies by Yves Robert and they are among my
>>> favorites. They tell of Marcel‘s life as a child in Marseille and in the
>>> mountains outside of town where the Pagnol family owned a very modest
>>> weekend retreat. We see the future man of letters learn about life in a
>>> fascinating city and the rustic hills of Provence in the early years of the
>>> 20th century. They are gentle movies: lovely, amusing, and fascinating
>>> glimpses of a world that no longer exists.
>>>
>>> Earlier this week some friends came over for a movie night and I showed
>>> them the second of the two movies, My Mother’s Castle, because I think it
>>> is the stronger of the two. They liked it so much we ended up watching
>>> both.
>>
>> A most intrigueing recommendation--I'm on it!
>>
>> I've seen the trilogy at least twice, and also the habbled and fascinating
>> Frankensteinian 1961 version of "Fanny." I note now that there was yet another
>> version of "Fanny" done in 2013. I guess I'll have to see that too...
>>

> Daniel Auteuil remade Marius and Fanny in 2013 but it appears production of
> Cesar is permanently on hold. Auteuil also remade The Well-Diggers Daughter
> and that is a film you don’t want to miss.

I went looking for his version of "Fanny" and can't find it anyway. Just as
well, there are plenty of "first time" movies to be seen.