If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.

arts / rec.arts.movies.past-films / YOJIMBO (1961)

SubjectAuthor
* YOJIMBO (1961)Bill Anderson
`* YOJIMBO (1961)moviePig
 `* YOJIMBO (1961)Bill Anderson
  `- YOJIMBO (1961)Spiros Bousbouras

1
YOJIMBO (1961)

<JuSdnXHMnqio0R74nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5554&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5554

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: YOJIMBO (1961)
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:19:01 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 20:19 UTC

Another week, another notable film for the 17-year-old. This week he told
me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch
another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I
had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?

We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro
Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s
basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and
a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL
OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think
Sergio Leone did a little plagiarizing.)

You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the
corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after.
There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and
we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed
to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: YOJIMBO (1961)

<pDIgN.86236$7sbb.24833@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5555&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5555

Subject: Re: YOJIMBO (1961)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: pwallace@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:02:10 -0500
 by: moviePig - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:02 UTC

On 12/20/2023 3:19 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Another week, another notable film for the 17-year-old. This week he told
> me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch
> another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I
> had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?
>
> We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro
> Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s
> basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and
> a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL
> OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
> a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think
> Sergio Leone did a little plagiarizing.)
>
> You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the
> corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after.
> There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and
> we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed
> to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...

Re: YOJIMBO (1961)

<X12dnTKvoYUkLx74nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5556&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5556

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:36:25 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:36 UTC

moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/2023 3:19 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
>> Another week, another notable film for the 17-year-old. This week he told
>> me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch
>> another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I
>> had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?
>>
>> We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro
>> Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s
>> basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and
>> a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL
>> OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
>> a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think
>> Sergio Leone did a little plagiarizing.)
>>
>> You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the
>> corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after.
>> There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and
>> we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed
>> to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.
>
> You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...

Maybe someday. I found RASHOMON fascinating, unforgettable. But at least
one other person whose opinion I respect absolutely hated it. “They all saw
the same thing but they all described it differently. That’s just stupid!“
And no amount of arguing from me changed her mind. I think the kid probably
isn’t ready for it yet. But yeah, it’s a great movie.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: YOJIMBO (1961)

<Ep9uMwDYpyunDORF=@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5557&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5557

From: spibou@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:57:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:57 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 03:36:25 +0000
Bill Anderson <bill.anderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
> moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
> > You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...
>
> Maybe someday. I found RASHOMON fascinating, unforgettable. But at least
> one other person whose opinion I respect absolutely hated it. “They all saw
> the same thing but they all described it differently. That’s just stupid!“
> And no amount of arguing from me changed her mind. I think the kid probably
> isn’t ready for it yet. But yeah, it’s a great movie.

STNG episode "A matter of perspective" uses the idea so the STNG creators
found it convincing enough.