A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. -- P. Erdos

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

SubjectAuthor
* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesJonathan Ben Schragadove
`* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesDan Koren
 +* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesDan Koren
 |`* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesHT
 | +- Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesDan Koren
 | `* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesDan Koren
 |  +- Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesHT
 |  `* Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesDan Koren
 |   `- Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesHT
 `- Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 timesEd Presson

1
Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<ae9f51a1-9d5c-449e-b753-e9de5a849f8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56963&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56963

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times
From: ybschragadove@gmail.com (Jonathan Ben Schragadove)
 by: Jonathan Ben Schraga - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:59 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 12:26:44 AM UTC-8, Dan Koren wrote:
> [...]
> > person) who didn't hesitate to contradict the conductor. The first set-to
> > came when the conductor opined that the concerto required an exceptional
> > virtuoso, to which the pianist snapped, "Not so! Any competent concertizing
> > soloist should be able to handle it." The second outburst came when the
> > conductor described both of Ravel's concertos as masterpieces. That roused
> > the soloist to argue forcefully that the G Major was a nice divertissement
> > with lovely transparent orchestration, but the D major was a masterpiece of
> > profound emotional depth.
> >
> > And that's the way it was performed two nights later. The piano part ranged
> > from sinister, melancholy, panic, to exciting, and the orchestral outbursts
> > became a cry from the heart. Once heard that way, most of the recordings I
> > collected seemed insipid or wrong-headed. The Samson Francois/Cluytens
> > recording has remained my favorite although I've collected an embarrassing
> > number of recordings since. A few days ago, I pulled four CDs from the
> > shelf to remind myself of their merit or lack of it.
> >
> > 1. Denis Kozhukhin/Kazuki Yamada/Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. Pentatone
> > 5186 620. Generally good recorded sound with powerful bass, but missing the
> > glitter of Ravel's orchestration. The pianist is better than Yamada, who
> > does little to shape or enliven the orchestral parts. The result is,
> > frankly, dull.
> >
> > 2. Yuja Wang/Lionel Bringuier/Tonhalle-Orchester Zurich/DG 4794954. I had
> > high expectations for this one. I cannot deny Wang's digital virtuosity,
> > but all I heard was a shower of brilliant notes with no concept that some
> > meaning was to be found in them. Bringuier brings little that's special in
> > his conducting and DG's engineering seemed pretty generic. I was
> > disappointed in this one, too.
> >
> > 3. Florian Uhlig/Pablo Gonzalez/Deutsche Radio Philhamonic. SWR 19027CD..
> > This was a big step up. Both the conductor and soloist seemed to have a
> > clear concept in mind that was exciting and sinister; missing only the dark
> > undertones of personal expression that I might have preferred. A very good
> > performance in clear, full range sound. A keeper.
> >
> > 4. Oleg Marshev/Vladimir Ziva/South Jutland Symphony Orchestra. Danacord
> > 672 (2-CD set). I looked at the notes before playing the CD, and my heart
> > sank when I read that the orchestra had 65 permanent musicians, and there
> > was no mention of additional players on this recording. I wasn't looking
> > forward to this hearing. Boy, was I wrong. The Baku-born Marshev and
> > Russian-born Ziva had a concept that seemed very close to my preferences.
> > They and the orchestra produced a performance of power, color, and emotion,
> > and the fine, close-up recording added to the impact. Of course, this
> > orchestra could not equal the massive sonority of world-class orchestras,
> > but their commitment, skill, and zeal carried the day. To my great
> > surprise, this CD was my favorite of this group. You never know.

Thank you, Dan! Really enjoying the Bashkirov!! And thank you for the Beroff link as well!

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<d99c939b-5160-413b-93d5-e64916cb8c3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56983&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56983

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 01:03:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:03 UTC

YES! https://youtu.be/9sxRNTZaIR8

dk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<a576072a-97a2-49df-9568-034e3180b46fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56985&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56985

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 01:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:49 UTC

YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<2a2c9318-e437-475a-afb7-94f2ee269da4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56989&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56989

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtuijl@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:49 UTC

> YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s

Is there anything YES cannot play - and play well?

Henk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<fa6eb2d4-be9a-43a2-a9c8-ff85527e763fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56990&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56990

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:58:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:58 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-7, HT wrote:
> > YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s
>
> Is there anything YES cannot play - and play well?

Define "well". YES is great and I am a big fan.

At the same time she seldom bowls me over.
Her playing is just too tidy and I do not hear a
sense of freedom and improvisation I hear from
say, HJ Lim or Fazil Say.

Then there are a handful of works that require
require really big hands and 300 lbs of pianist.

https://youtu.be/bQWiCKCBFQQ
https://youtu.be/6lzxQP1cf08

YES can probably play them, however I doubt
she can project the power and the momentum.
Piano performance is after all a physical sport.

dk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<0473c3ea-654f-4e61-ab92-a685c42010b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56991&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56991

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:03:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:03 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-7, HT wrote:
> > YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s
>
> Is there anything YES cannot play - and play well?

Define "well". YES is great and I am a big fan.

At the same time she seldom bowls me over.
Her playing is just too tidy and I do not hear a
sense of freedom and improvisation I hear
from say, HJ Lim or Fazil Say.

Then there are a handful of works that require
really big hands and ~300 lbs of pianist meat
sitting on the bench.

https://youtu.be/bQWiCKCBFQQ
https://youtu.be/6lzxQP1cf08

YES can probably play them, however I doubt
she can project the power and the momentum.
Piano performance is after all a physical sport.

dk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<71f89680-51dc-4ae7-8283-0f0344b334ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56993&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56993

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtuijl@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:17 UTC

Op dinsdag 11 juli 2023 om 14:03:09 UTC+2 schreef Dan Koren:
> On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-7, HT wrote:
> > > YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s
> >
> > Is there anything YES cannot play - and play well?
> Define "well". YES is great and I am a big fan.
>
> At the same time she seldom bowls me over.
> Her playing is just too tidy and I do not hear a
> sense of freedom and improvisation I hear
> from say, HJ Lim or Fazil Say.
>
> Then there are a handful of works that require
> really big hands and ~300 lbs of pianist meat
> sitting on the bench.
>
> https://youtu.be/bQWiCKCBFQQ
> https://youtu.be/6lzxQP1cf08
>
> YES can probably play them, however I doubt
> she can project the power and the momentum.
> Piano performance is after all a physical sport.

Agreed. I don't see YES coming even close. Nor do I see her performing at the Prinsengracht in Amsterdam. One has to be a Cherkassky or Volodos to make any impression at all.

Henk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<b85b443d-0e72-4316-8482-67a72c2c6bcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=56998&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56998

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:25:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:25 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 5:03:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:49:50 AM UTC-7, HT wrote:
> > > YES AGAIN! https://youtu.be/CB4Wydl4d_s
> >
> > Is there anything YES cannot play - and play well?
> Define "well". YES is great and I am a big fan.
>
> At the same time she seldom bowls me over.
> Her playing is just too tidy and I do not hear a
> sense of freedom and improvisation I hear
> from say, HJ Lim or Fazil Say.
>
> Then there are a handful of works that require
> really big hands and ~300 lbs of pianist meat
> sitting on the bench.
>
> https://youtu.be/bQWiCKCBFQQ
> https://youtu.be/6lzxQP1cf08
>
> YES can probably play them, however I doubt
> she can project the power and the momentum.
> Piano performance is after all a physical sport.

Mendelssohn suits her better:

https://youtu.be/RLHIbskboxo

dk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<00774a92-7319-4ebe-a857-e52af20995c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=57000&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57000

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtuijl@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:52 UTC

Op dinsdag 11 juli 2023 om 18:25:20 UTC+2 schreef Dan Koren:

> Mendelssohn suits her better:
>
> https://youtu.be/RLHIbskboxo

Thanks! What a wonderful concerto if played as brilliantly as in this case.

Henk

Re: Ravel's Left-Hand Concerto 4 times

<u8ka07$3081o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=57014&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57014

From: pep38@comcast.net (Ed Presson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:19:32 -0700
 by: Ed Presson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:19 UTC

wrote:
> [...]
> > > looking
> > > forward to this hearing. Boy, was I wrong. The Baku-born Marshev and
> > > Russian-born Ziva had a concept that seemed very close to my
> > > preferences.
> > > They and the orchestra produced a performance of power, color, and
> > > emotion,
> > > and the fine, close-up recording added to the impact. Of course, this
> > > orchestra could not equal the massive sonority of world-class
> > > orchestras,
> > > but their commitment, skill, and zeal carried the day. To my great
> > > surprise, this CD was my favorite of this group. You never know.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58gf4NwLj4
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfe3W7Y8eZA
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4Wydl4d_s
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yme2336j81g
>
> Thank you, Dan! Really enjoying the Bashkirov!!
> And thank you for the Beroff link as well!

Thanks, Dan and all the others, for posting these links to different
approaches to this, my favorite piano concerto.
The last one posted seems more relaxed and almost lyrical than I'm looking
for; it misses the underlying
tension and drama that I believe is there. Thanks again, all!

Ed Presson