Suddenly, Professor Liebowitz realizes he has come to the seminar without his duck ...

arts / rec.arts.animation / Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

SubjectAuthor
* Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsBing Breep
+* Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsYour Name
|`* Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `* Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsPaul S Person
|  `* Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsYour Name
|   `- Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsPaul S Person
`- Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoonsJames Fabiano

1
Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<870bcbb7-eedb-42f7-8346-97602587c7bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=564&group=rec.arts.animation#564

Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:17:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons
From: bingbreep@gmail.com (Bing Breep)
 by: Bing Breep - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 07:17 UTC

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H3sjItu_Ohg

1:16:14 We see the villian holding TT's shoe and he is figuri.g out TT and the car are the same thing. The last sentence of his dialog is abruptly cut off in the middle when the scene cuts to a daytime street scene and we hear a second of a different danger type tune before that abruptly switches to a more upbeat "not in danger tune". I've seen this type of thing many times before in cartoons of this vintage, and it makes me wonder what got changed or edited out at the last minute before the films were distributed for broadcast.

Yes, these old Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears cartoons were done on the cheap and basically Saturday Morning junkfood with sballow regurgitated storylines, but it's interesting to speculate what was hiding behind those jarring splices,and edits.

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<uld42q$106ai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=565&group=rec.arts.animation#565

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:27:06 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:27 UTC

On 2023-12-13 07:17:20 +0000, Bing Breep said:

> https://youtube.com/watch?v=H3sjItu_Ohg
>
> 1:16:14 We see the villian holding TT's shoe and he is figuri.g out TT
> and the car are the same thing. The last sentence of his dialog is
> abruptly cut off in the middle when the scene cuts to a daytime street
> scene and we hear a second of a different danger type tune before that
> abruptly switches to a more upbeat "not in danger tune". I've seen this
> type of thing many times before in cartoons of this vintage, and it
> makes me wonder what got changed or edited out at the last minute
> before the films were distributed for broadcast.
>
> Yes, these old Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears cartoons were done on the
> cheap and basically Saturday Morning junkfood with sballow regurgitated
> storylines, but it's interesting to speculate what was hiding behind
> those jarring splices,and edits.

TV stations cut and change shows to fit their own time schedules and
advert requirements all the time. Also the distributors cut shows for
various legal reasons in releases for other regions.

In terms of that particular YouTube video, it could simply have been a
glitch in the original VHS tape recording (judging by the corruption
lines that keep appearing, it was definitely an iffy tape or player
device).

The UK car show "Top Gear" which has a segment called "Star in a
Reasonably Priced Car". That segment is often cut out in international
releases of the show due to the BBC not being allowed to show the
particular star for some legal reason in certain regions.

TVZN here in New Zealand often cuts bits out of the UK quiz shows in
order to fit the schedule and/or put more adverts in. There was an
episode recently of the quiz show "Tipping Point" where one minute
there were a lot os counters on the edge of the shelf, and the next
moment half of them were gone, but no sight nor mention of the counters
having fallen off 'out of play' like they usually show / say.

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<ktur5dFt8ghU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=566&group=rec.arts.animation#566

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: 13 Dec 2023 22:56:45 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:56 UTC

In article <uld42q$106ai$1@dont-email.me>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>On 2023-12-13 07:17:20 +0000, Bing Breep said:
>
>> https://youtube.com/watch?v=H3sjItu_Ohg
>>
>> 1:16:14 We see the villian holding TT's shoe and he is figuri.g out TT
>> and the car are the same thing. The last sentence of his dialog is
>> abruptly cut off in the middle when the scene cuts to a daytime street
>> scene and we hear a second of a different danger type tune before that
>> abruptly switches to a more upbeat "not in danger tune". I've seen this
>> type of thing many times before in cartoons of this vintage, and it
>> makes me wonder what got changed or edited out at the last minute
>> before the films were distributed for broadcast.
>>
>> Yes, these old Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears cartoons were done on the
>> cheap and basically Saturday Morning junkfood with sballow regurgitated
>> storylines, but it's interesting to speculate what was hiding behind
>> those jarring splices,and edits.
>
>TV stations cut and change shows to fit their own time schedules and
>advert requirements all the time. Also the distributors cut shows for
>various legal reasons in releases for other regions.
>
>In terms of that particular YouTube video, it could simply have been a
>glitch in the original VHS tape recording (judging by the corruption
>lines that keep appearing, it was definitely an iffy tape or player
>device).
>
>The UK car show "Top Gear" which has a segment called "Star in a
>Reasonably Priced Car". That segment is often cut out in international
>releases of the show due to the BBC not being allowed to show the
>particular star for some legal reason in certain regions.
>
>TVZN here in New Zealand often cuts bits out of the UK quiz shows in
>order to fit the schedule and/or put more adverts in. There was an
>episode recently of the quiz show "Tipping Point" where one minute
>there were a lot os counters on the edge of the shelf, and the next
>moment half of them were gone, but no sight nor mention of the counters
>having fallen off 'out of play' like they usually show / say.

In the US ad time has definitely increased. For instance, the original
Peanuts Christmas & Halloween specials used to run in a half hour block.
In recent years they no longer fit, and the last time they were shown on
network TV, the network commissioned new, somewhat shorter, companion
episodes so that the original could play uncut in a 35min or so slot
and the new episode could round it out to an hour.

That was unusual because those specials were so beloved. If you
have some run-of-the-mill old cartoon, it just gets trimmed to still
fit in the half hour slot.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<u6dmnil5hud7el3ahhps8qmiaajueonbfj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=567&group=rec.arts.animation#567

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:02:18 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:02 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 22:56:45 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <uld42q$106ai$1@dont-email.me>,
>Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>On 2023-12-13 07:17:20 +0000, Bing Breep said:
>>
>>> https://youtube.com/watch?v=H3sjItu_Ohg
>>>
>>> 1:16:14 We see the villian holding TT's shoe and he is figuri.g out TT
>>> and the car are the same thing. The last sentence of his dialog is
>>> abruptly cut off in the middle when the scene cuts to a daytime street
>>> scene and we hear a second of a different danger type tune before that
>>> abruptly switches to a more upbeat "not in danger tune". I've seen this
>>> type of thing many times before in cartoons of this vintage, and it
>>> makes me wonder what got changed or edited out at the last minute
>>> before the films were distributed for broadcast.
>>>
>>> Yes, these old Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears cartoons were done on the
>>> cheap and basically Saturday Morning junkfood with sballow regurgitated
>>> storylines, but it's interesting to speculate what was hiding behind
>>> those jarring splices,and edits.
>>
>>TV stations cut and change shows to fit their own time schedules and
>>advert requirements all the time. Also the distributors cut shows for
>>various legal reasons in releases for other regions.
>>
>>In terms of that particular YouTube video, it could simply have been a
>>glitch in the original VHS tape recording (judging by the corruption
>>lines that keep appearing, it was definitely an iffy tape or player
>>device).
>>
>>The UK car show "Top Gear" which has a segment called "Star in a
>>Reasonably Priced Car". That segment is often cut out in international
>>releases of the show due to the BBC not being allowed to show the
>>particular star for some legal reason in certain regions.
>>
>>TVZN here in New Zealand often cuts bits out of the UK quiz shows in
>>order to fit the schedule and/or put more adverts in. There was an
>>episode recently of the quiz show "Tipping Point" where one minute
>>there were a lot os counters on the edge of the shelf, and the next
>>moment half of them were gone, but no sight nor mention of the counters
>>having fallen off 'out of play' like they usually show / say.
>>

>In the US ad time has definitely increased. For instance, the original
>Peanuts Christmas & Halloween specials used to run in a half hour block.
>In recent years they no longer fit, and the last time they were shown on
>network TV, the network commissioned new, somewhat shorter, companion
>episodes so that the original could play uncut in a 35min or so slot
>and the new episode could round it out to an hour.
>
>That was unusual because those specials were so beloved. If you
>have some run-of-the-mill old cartoon, it just gets trimmed to still
>fit in the half hour slot.

That /is/ unusual.

It should be kept in mind that the /commercials/ are what matter to
the broadcasters. The "program" is just something to produce an
audience for the important stuff.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<ulfq2a$1hlsr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=568&group=rec.arts.animation#568

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:54:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 20:54 UTC

On 2023-12-14 17:02:18 +0000, Paul S Person said:
> On 13 Dec 2023 22:56:45 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>> In article <uld42q$106ai$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> TV stations cut and change shows to fit their own time schedules
>>> and>>advert requirements all the time. Also the distributors cut shows
>>> for>>various legal reasons in releases for other regions.
>>>
>>> In terms of that particular YouTube video, it could simply have been
>>> a>>glitch in the original VHS tape recording (judging by the
>>> corruption>>lines that keep appearing, it was definitely an iffy tape
>>> or player>>device).
>>>
>>> The UK car show "Top Gear" which has a segment called "Star in
>>> a>>Reasonably Priced Car". That segment is often cut out in
>>> international>>releases of the show due to the BBC not being allowed to
>>> show the>>particular star for some legal reason in certain regions.
>>>
>>> TVZN here in New Zealand often cuts bits out of the UK quiz shows
>>> in>>order to fit the schedule and/or put more adverts in. There was
>>> an>>episode recently of the quiz show "Tipping Point" where one
>>> minute>>there were a lot os counters on the edge of the shelf, and the
>>> next>>moment half of them were gone, but no sight nor mention of the
>>> counters>>having fallen off 'out of play' like they usually show / say.
>>
>> In the US ad time has definitely increased. For instance, the original
>> Peanuts Christmas & Halloween specials used to run in a half hour block.
>> In recent years they no longer fit, and the last time they were shown on
>> network TV, the network commissioned new, somewhat shorter, companion
>> episodes so that the original could play uncut in a 35min or so slot
>> and the new episode could round it out to an hour.
>>
>> That was unusual because those specials were so beloved. If you
>> have some run-of-the-mill old cartoon, it just gets trimmed to still
>> fit in the half hour slot.
>
> That /is/ unusual.
>
> It should be kept in mind that the /commercials/ are what matter to
> the broadcasters. The "program" is just something to produce an
> audience for the important stuff.

We record everything then watch it later and just fast forward through
all the idiotic adverts. :-)

Most adverts are just ridiculous rubbish that tell you almost nothing
about the actual product / service because some massively over-paid
advertising company is too busy trying to be arty-farty instead.

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<24ec01b7-cb73-4289-b324-f719b345199en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=569&group=rec.arts.animation#569

Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:55:59 -0800 (PST)
From: jmfabianorpl@gmail.com (James Fabiano)
 by: James Fabiano - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:55 UTC

On Wednesday, December 13, 2023 at 2:17:21 AM UTC-5, Bing Breep wrote:
> https://youtube.com/watch?v=H3sjItu_Ohg
>
> 1:16:14 We see the villian holding TT's shoe and he is figuri.g out TT and the car are the same thing. The last sentence of his dialog is abruptly cut off in the middle when the scene cuts to a daytime street scene and we hear a second of a different danger type tune before that abruptly switches to a more upbeat "not in danger tune". I've seen this type of thing many times before in cartoons of this vintage, and it makes me wonder what got changed or edited out at the last minute before the films were distributed for broadcast.
>
> Yes, these old Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears cartoons were done on the cheap and basically Saturday Morning junkfood with sballow regurgitated storylines, but it's interesting to speculate what was hiding behind those jarring splices,and edits.

They also cut out the scene where Brett is shitting his pants before turning into Turbo Teen, then it's left in his seats when his friends sit on it. It was a funny!

Re: Sloppy edits/missing or changed content in early 80s cartoons

<u1vonipp2fse15lhdbvfir21cs70abkk2i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=571&group=rec.arts.animation#571

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.animation
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:21:25 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:21 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:54:34 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
wrote:

>On 2023-12-14 17:02:18 +0000, Paul S Person said:
>> On 13 Dec 2023 22:56:45 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:

>>> In the US ad time has definitely increased. For instance, the original
>>> Peanuts Christmas & Halloween specials used to run in a half hour block.
>>> In recent years they no longer fit, and the last time they were shown on
>>> network TV, the network commissioned new, somewhat shorter, companion
>>> episodes so that the original could play uncut in a 35min or so slot
>>> and the new episode could round it out to an hour.
>>>
>>> That was unusual because those specials were so beloved. If you
>>> have some run-of-the-mill old cartoon, it just gets trimmed to still
>>> fit in the half hour slot.
>>
>> That /is/ unusual.
>>
>> It should be kept in mind that the /commercials/ are what matter to
>> the broadcasters. The "program" is just something to produce an
>> audience for the important stuff.
>
>We record everything then watch it later and just fast forward through
>all the idiotic adverts. :-)
>
>Most adverts are just ridiculous rubbish that tell you almost nothing
>about the actual product / service because some massively over-paid
>advertising company is too busy trying to be arty-farty instead.

It has been several decades since I watched broadcast TV (even through
cable, back before cable ... mutated). My conclusion towards the end
was that the /commercials/ had higher production values (and, in many
cases, better plots) than the actual programs.

But not only may that have changed in the decades since, you would be
fully entitled to your opinion even if I were watching them today and
had a different opinion of them.