From: eisner@slac.stanford.edu (Al Eisner)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Music at Menlo chamber music livestream
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:05:07 -0700
 by: Al Eisner - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:05 UTC

I don't know if there is any interest here in this sort of things, but
as a public service:

The annual Music at Menlo chamber music festival (now in its 21st season)
not only presents concerts by seasoned chamber artists (most of them
affiliated with the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center) but also
runs two instructional programs. The Young Performers (YP) program is
for music students, ages about 10 to 18, while the International
Program (IP) is for young professionals in their twenties. All recitals
in both programs (prepared with intensive instruction) are presented free
and are recorded via livesstream: https://musicatmenlo.org/livestream2023.
(See list in bottom right corner of web page; it also includes public
master classes.) Many are remarkably good. There is some view of
the future here....

Of the "Prelude" (IP) performances, I would mention the Mozart Quartet
#21 forming the first half of the July 18 program, and especially the
Brahms G-minor piano quartet on the second half of the July 23 program.
Their first run-through of the first movement at a master class just six
days earlier showed thwy had a long way to go musically (Brahms is not
easy), yet by this second performance I felt they had broken through.
(I felt that the performers of the LvB "Ghost" trio on July 23 did not
adjust well to the rich reverberant hall; it's possible their presentation
on July 18. in a different venue, might be better, but I have not
heard it. I should note that I attended on July 23 in person, so it
may well be that the livestream is not an identical experience.)

FWIW.
--
Al Eisner