Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:26:03 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Subject: THE GRADUATE (1967)
 by: Bill Anderson - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:26 UTC

Another weekend, another notable movie to share with the 18-year-old.
This time it’s THE GRADUATE.

I’ve always thought of this movie fondly because of how much I
identified with it when I was the age of the protagonist. In 1967 I was
close to graduation from college and still uncertain about the direction
my life would take. In many ways Benjamin reminded me of myself. So
imagine my satisfaction when I heard from over on the couch yesterday,
“He reminds me of me.”

It had been a long time since I had seen the movie. Of course I
remembered all the high points but some of the little things, some of
the gags, were fun surprises again. We both enjoyed the movie even
though I had to hit pause once or twice for an explanation. (When
Benjamin’s Berkeley landlord, Norman Fell, accused him of being an
“outside agitator,” the kid needed a little help processing 1960s campus
protests. “Oh yeah, I heard about that in history class.“)

The kid thoroughly enjoyed this movie; no spells of antsiness like
sometimes happen. And then came the end with Benjamin screaming “Elaine“
“Elaine“ and the Robinsons cursing soundlessly and Benjamin fighting off
the crowd with a sword-sized cross and all I could hear coming from over
on the couch was, “oh my God, oh my God, oh my God.”

So there were Ben and Elaine sitting on the back seat of the bus with
their happy faces slowly becoming, what? Thoughtful? Regretful? Terrified?

“Is that the end? That can’t be the end! So what did they do? Did he go
back to school in Berkeley?”

“You tell me, kid.“

--
Bill Anderson