If you have to hate, hate gently.

arts / rec.arts.movies.past-films / THE THIRD MAN (1949)

SubjectAuthor
* THE THIRD MAN (1949)Bill Anderson
`* Re: THE THIRD MAN (1949)gtr
 `- Re: THE THIRD MAN (1949)Bill Anderson

1
THE THIRD MAN (1949)

<U_CcnWwMVce9ZiP4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5747&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5747

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: THE THIRD MAN (1949)
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 02:49:04 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:49 UTC

Another weekend, another notable film to share with the kid. As usual, he
pronounced a great film, “great.”

It is gratifying to me that I know a teenager who appreciates old movies
and is willing to indulge me as I introduce him to the best of them. I have
pretty much stopped worrying about disappointing him. If I pick a classic
he is almost guaranteed to like it. And he really liked this one — stayed
engaged throughout. As the movie played we talked about all sorts of things
including proliferation of a black market after a war, was Hitler actually
Austrian, does a zither have that many strings, who was Zane Gray, the
naïve American trope, stunning black-and-white cinematography, and sewer
rats. His comment at the end was, “This is almost like THE GRADUATE. You
don’t know what happened next.“ As that beautifully composed, heartbreaking
final shot played out, I observed, “This is art,” and he replied, “I know.“

He had a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed re-watching one of my favorite
movies of all time.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: THE THIRD MAN (1949)

<upv21b$19sop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5748&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5748

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Re: THE THIRD MAN (1949)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:47:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:47 UTC

On Feb 3, 2024 at 6:49:04 PM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> Another weekend, another notable film to share with the kid. As usual, he
> pronounced a great film, “great.”
>
> It is gratifying to me that I know a teenager who appreciates old movies
> and is willing to indulge me as I introduce him to the best of them. I have
> pretty much stopped worrying about disappointing him. If I pick a classic
> he is almost guaranteed to like it. And he really liked this one — stayed
> engaged throughout. As the movie played we talked about all sorts of things
> including proliferation of a black market after a war, was Hitler actually
> Austrian, does a zither have that many strings, who was Zane Gray, the
> naïve American trope, stunning black-and-white cinematography, and sewer
> rats. His comment at the end was, “This is almost like THE GRADUATE. You
> don’t know what happened next.“ As that beautifully composed, heartbreaking
> final shot played out, I observed, “This is art,” and he replied, “I know.“
>
> He had a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed re-watching one of my favorite
> movies of all time.

Really cool that you have this opportunity and are doing it.

When was a kid, from about the age of 10 (when we moved back to the US and had
a TV), my film-addled older sister used to pick our movies each weekend
evening, and sometimes in between. And she provided the running commentary,
pointing out why great was great and trash was trash. I truly developed my own
aesthetic, applicable to the arts in general, while pivoting off of hers.

We kept up the chatter for some 60 years periodicallly citing our complaints
and praise for food, fiction, and film. She's been gone a few years now, but I
*still* make a mental note to tell her about a cool find.

Re: THE THIRD MAN (1949)

<dB2cnU4kHdYEjF74nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=5749&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#5749

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: bill.anderson@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 05:14:01 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 05:14 UTC

gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2024 at 6:49:04 PM PST, "Bill Anderson" <bill.anderson@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Another weekend, another notable film to share with the kid. As usual, he
>> pronounced a great film, “great.”
>>
>> It is gratifying to me that I know a teenager who appreciates old movies
>> and is willing to indulge me as I introduce him to the best of them. I have
>> pretty much stopped worrying about disappointing him. If I pick a classic
>> he is almost guaranteed to like it. And he really liked this one — stayed
>> engaged throughout. As the movie played we talked about all sorts of things
>> including proliferation of a black market after a war, was Hitler actually
>> Austrian, does a zither have that many strings, who was Zane Gray, the
>> naïve American trope, stunning black-and-white cinematography, and sewer
>> rats. His comment at the end was, “This is almost like THE GRADUATE. You
>> don’t know what happened next.“ As that beautifully composed, heartbreaking
>> final shot played out, I observed, “This is art,” and he replied, “I know.“
>>
>> He had a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed re-watching one of my favorite
>> movies of all time.
>
> Really cool that you have this opportunity and are doing it.
>
> When was a kid, from about the age of 10 (when we moved back to the US and had
> a TV), my film-addled older sister used to pick our movies each weekend
> evening, and sometimes in between. And she provided the running commentary,
> pointing out why great was great and trash was trash. I truly developed my own
> aesthetic, applicable to the arts in general, while pivoting off of hers.
>
> We kept up the chatter for some 60 years periodicallly citing our complaints
> and praise for food, fiction, and film. She's been gone a few years now, but I
> *still* make a mental note to tell her about a cool find.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog