Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 11:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: The worst US presidents
From: ggggg9271@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 18:09 UTC

On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 9:36:13 AM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 8:06:33 AM UTC-7, Frank Berger wrote:

> > > Where is the quote bot when he/she/it is needed?
> > > Since he/she/it appears to not care, I respectfully
> > > provide below a link to a survey of rankings of US
> > > presidents from no. 1 to no. 45:
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States
> > >
> > > According to the most recent surveys, the bottom 5
> > > were Franklin Pierce, Warren Harding, Donald Trump,
> > > James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson. Needless to
> > > say FDR, Abe, Wash, Ted and Jeff are the top five.
> >
> > What is the average political leaning of "presidential
> > scholars." Is it neutral, Or like most scholars do they
> > tend to be liberal? Is a liberal scholar going to rate a
> > Republican president who accomplished many of his
> > goals highly? Like say, he cuts taxes and benefits. A
> > good thing from a conservative/libertarian point of
> > view, and a bad thing from a liberal point of view.
> "Average political leaning" sounds meaningless. If I
> understand correctly the Wikipedia article you linked
> to, the polling criteria were prettly clearly defined in
> several dimensions, and the sample sizes were not
> unreasonable.
> > OR is a "good" president supposed to mean an
> > "effectual leader." I can see a scholar meaning
> > that, but the public.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, Pierce was an ineffectual leader
> > who wanted to expand the nation even if that meant
> > continuing slavery. Horrible by today's standards, not
> > so sure about historically.
> I did not attempt to interpret the numbers, I simply
> reporred them. In any case, the top 5 and bottom 5
> clusters are pretty much what one would expect. I
> am surprised Carter didn't rank much lower than he
> did, he was an absolute disaster in every respect.
>
> dk

According to this:

- Trump’s willingness to fan the worst flames of discord and division is why, in my assessment, he is currently the greatest threat to our nation.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/05/donald-trump-homeland-security-threat-00109928

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: OT: The worst US presidents