If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark Twain

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets

SubjectAuthor
* Dueling Toscanini BBC setsLuciano Crivello
+* Dueling Toscanini BBC setsFrank Berger
|`- Dueling Toscanini BBC setsJuan I. Cahis
`- Dueling Toscanini BBC setsPluted Pup

1
Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets

<6b66039a-b4ea-41a9-a760-1361e0ef1df3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58295&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58295

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 05:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets
From: crllcn53@gmail.com (Luciano Crivello)
 by: Luciano Crivello - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:17 UTC

Il giorno sabato 5 gennaio 2013 alle 21:53:49 UTC+1 Matthew B. Tepper ha scritto:
> [...]
> works. Whose transfer they are using for these, I do not know. Remember
> that BMG, ahem, "appropriated" Mark Obert-Thorn's without credit, for their
> big Toscanini box. Is it too much to hope for that they have ordered a new
> remastering? Oh, wait, it's EMI, so they probably haven't. They also
> include the various other items, such as Brahms 2nd, Sibelius 2nd, and
> various Elgar, Debussy and Wagner which were issued on CD in the (I think)
> '90s. They include a Beethoven 7th (which I'm not sure, but possibly the
> same June 14 that WHRA has) and the "Prometheus."
>
> EMI does NOT include Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, Mozart's "Haffner," or
> Cherubini's "Anacréon" Overture (both issued by BBC Legends along with the
> Beethoven 7th from June 12), nor the Verdi Requiem (on Testament), nor the
> Beethoven 9th (on Music and Arts, and truly wonderful, as I've said here),
> but then, they may not own any of them. Disappointingly, they do NOT
> include the Geminiani, which I believe they DO own.
>
> Since EMI doesn't bear a title confining its purview to the BBC recordings,
> it is a shame they do not include the three 1951 La Scala items: the Acts
> I and III preludes to "La Traviata," and "Les vępres siciliennes" Overture.
> (EMI had a two-volume set of La Scala recordings, each containing three
> CDs, and one of which had the "Traviata" Act III and the other the
> "Vępres" Overture; Guild has issued both of the "Traviata" Preludes.)
>
> Quality of the masterings aside, then, EMI aims at completeness and misses,
> by omitting the Geminiani and the La Scala items. I'll be buying WHRA at
> least to hear the one never-released (to my knowledge) item, and to support
> their valuable work; besides, I suspect they may wind up having the better
> remasterings. The EMI set *might* be worth getting just in order to
> consolidate all of those single CDs they once let out by dribs and drabs.
> As I recall, there was a problem with one item, one of the "Parsifal"
> excerpts I think, which was missing some music; this was later corrected.
> I do hope they have managed to avoid that error this time, but it's EMI, so
> you can't be confident.
>
> If only, just for ONCE, one of the compilers of these things would say,
> "Since we're going to call this 'complete,' why don't we do a minimum
> amount of research and actually ASK somebody who can tell us what has to be
> included?" Heck, I would have done it for them happily, and all I'd have
> asked was one copy of the finished product and my name listed in the
> booklet giving me credit for my research. But no, they didn't ask, and so
> (as always) the claim of "completeness" is a lie.
>
> --
> Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
> Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
> To write to me, do for my address what Androcles did for the lion
> Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
Good morning to all the people. I'm Luciano Crivello and you can see all my videos uploaded on youtube about Toscanini broadcasts. I write to Ask to Mr Tepper, if he can indicate to me how to find the analysis of Dermot Gault about the Bruckner's Seventh conducted by Toscanini in 1935. His analysis was made by listening to the recording at the Public Library of New York. Can Mr. Tepper or someone else give me these informations. Thanks and regards. Luciano Crivello

Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets

<IMOdnUYoSdgVbpD4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58302&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58302

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:05:27 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdberger@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:05 UTC

On 9/22/2023 8:17 AM, Luciano Crivello wrote:
> [...]
>> (as always) the claim of "completeness" is a lie.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
>> Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
>> To write to me, do for my address what Androcles did for the lion
>> Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
> Good morning to all the people. I'm Luciano Crivello and you can see all my videos uploaded on youtube about Toscanini broadcasts. I write to Ask to Mr Tepper, if he can indicate to me how to find the analysis of Dermot Gault about the Bruckner's Seventh conducted by Toscanini in 1935. His analysis was made by listening to the recording at the Public Library of New York. Can Mr. Tepper or someone else give me these informations. Thanks and regards. Luciano Crivello

Mr. Tepper has not participated here in quite some time. Don't know if he lurks (here or anyway).

Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets

<1183292532.717163947.350469.jicahis.SINBASURA-gmail.com@news-central.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58308&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58308

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:13:50 -0300
From: jicahis.SINBASURA@gmail.com (Juan I. Cahis)
 by: Juan I. Cahis - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:13 UTC

Ask how to contact Mr. Dermot Gault in www.abruckner.com

--
Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets

<0001HW.2ABFB14B0044525330E62E38F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58315&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58315

Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:50:35 -0700
From: plutedpup@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
 by: Pluted Pup - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 23:50 UTC

> > West Hill Radio Archives and EMI have two new releases (well, the WHRA
> > appears to have come out a couple of months ago, while the EMI is supposed
> > to come out due next month) with a fair amount of overlap; exactly how
> > much, I don't know, but it depends on which of two performances of the same
> > work is used in each. The boxes have different "missions," which one of
> > them appears to fulfill, while the other one fails its own mission. Guess
> > which one is the fails. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with Bee Bem Bye.
> >
> > WHRA is entitled, "Toscanini in London: The Legendary 1935 Recordings,"
> > and is said to contain all of the works the Maestro performed, with HMV's
> > machines spinning away, in June of that year. The big news here is
> > threefold, as it contains the 14 June Beethoven 7th (from the 1980-ish
> > Seraphim LP boxed set which was its first official issue, and only on CD
> > from the crap label Grammofono 2000), the Geminiani Concerto Grosso Op. 3,
> > #2 (which I have wanted to hear ever since I read about it in the second
> > edition of Robert C. Marsh's book, neither edition of which has yet been
> > unpacked, meaning they must still be in the box with most of my pocket
> > scores), and, as a bonus, Beethoven's "Die Geschöpfe des Prometheus"
> > Overture, from a 1939 recording session and previously available only in
> > that Seraphim LP set and the badly-transferred Grammofono CD.
> >
> > The EMI issue does not confine itself to 1935, of course. First of all, it
> > appears to contain all of the long-ago-commercially-issued HMV items, such
> > as Beethoven 1, 4, and 6, along with various overtures and other shorter
> > works. Whose transfer they are using for these, I do not know. Remember
> > that BMG, ahem, "appropriated" Mark Obert-Thorn's without credit, for their
> > big Toscanini box. Is it too much to hope for that they have ordered a new
> > remastering? Oh, wait, it's EMI, so they probably haven't. They also
> > include the various other items, such as Brahms 2nd, Sibelius 2nd, and
> > various Elgar, Debussy and Wagner which were issued on CD in the (I think)
> > '90s. They include a Beethoven 7th (which I'm not sure, but possibly the
> > same June 14 that WHRA has) and the "Prometheus."

It turns out that the WHRA set was the bad sounding set
because of noise reduction. EMI was better sounding with
less noise reduction.

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Dueling Toscanini BBC sets