Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 23:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Best of Igor Markevitch
From: ggggg9271@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 3 May 2023 06:31 UTC

On Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 8:20:16 AM UTC-7, Michael Schaffer wrote:
> I have been "rediscovering" Igor Markevitch and his fairly rich
> recorded legacy recently. In the sense that I always knew he was there
> and heard some very interesting recordings from him, but somehow it
> never occurred to me to investigate further until in a recent
> discussion, his Schubert recordings with the BP were mentioned. I
> looked it up and saw how much there is actually available from him, so
> I ordered some of the discs - the DG set "un veritable artiste", EMI
> GCOC, individual discs like PAAE and Rimsky-Korsakov works with the BP
> and Orchestre Lamoureux, and a fantastic recording of Symphonie
> fantastique with Lamoureux which for me was also a sort of rediscovery
> - I have never been too fond of the piece, but Markevitch' extremely
> lively and musically alert performance made me see it in a new light.
> I already knew his great recording of Beethoven 5 and 8 with Lamoureux,
> but even that I hadn't listened to for a long time before it was
> brought back to my attention by an online discussion.
> Amrkevitch combination of slender transparency with attention to
> lyrical lines and fine detail makes for a lot of great listening, so
> right now, I am ploughing my way through that DG box.

According to the Chatbot BARD:

My favorite Markevitch recording is his 1959 recording of Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring with the Philharmonia Orchestra. Markevitch was a master of Stravinsky's music, and he brings out all of the drama and intensity of The Rite of Spring in this recording. The Philharmonia Orchestra plays with great passion and commitment, and the recording quality is excellent.

Here are some other Markevitch recordings that I recommend:

Igor Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms (1958)
Igor Stravinsky: The Firebird (1959)
Igor Stravinsky: Petrushka (1960)
Sergei Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (1957)
Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 (1956)

Markevitch was a versatile conductor, and he recorded a wide range of music.. His recordings are known for their energy, precision, and musicality. If you are looking for recordings of classical music that are both exciting and musically satisfying, I highly recommend checking out Markevitch's recordings.

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Best of Igor Markevitch