"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass." -- Cal Keegan

arts / rec.music.beatles / 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues

SubjectAuthor
* 'Red' and 'Blue' reissuessuper70s
+* Re: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissuesBlueshirt
|`- Re: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissuesNorbert K
`- Now and Then (was 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues)Chris Schram

1
'Red' and 'Blue' reissues

<uhvvv8$10msq$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6034&group=rec.music.beatles#6034

From: super70s@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 06:08:25 -0500
 by: super70s - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:08 UTC

Dropping Nov. 10. I remember well back in '73 when these albums first
came out but they had no appeal to me over the original studio albums.

I guess I can't complain about them too much because I always went for
'Hot Rocks' Vols. 1 and 2 for my early Rolling Stones fix over the
original Stones albums (up to Sticky Fingers). I can understand where
the fans of the Red and Blue albums are coming from especially if you
were too young to appreciate the original albums back in 1973; these
two albums still have a lot of sentimental value to many I guess.

The Red and Blue feature newly mixed (some dating back to 2015 and many
as recent as 2023) versions of all the original songs, plus the much
ballyhooed 'final song' "Now and Then" tacked on at the end of the Blue
album to give completists some reason to buy them I suppose.

Re: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues

<xn0o8v95e4jbbh800g@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6036&group=rec.music.beatles#6036

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:00:47 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 21:00 UTC

super70s wrote:

> Dropping Nov. 10. I remember well back in '73 when these albums first
> came out but they had no appeal to me over the original studio albums.
>
> I guess I can't complain about them too much because I always went
> for 'Hot Rocks' Vols. 1 and 2 for my early Rolling Stones fix over
> the original Stones albums (up to Sticky Fingers). I can understand
> where the fans of the Red and Blue albums are coming from especially
> if you were too young to appreciate the original albums back in 1973;
> these two albums still have a lot of sentimental value to many I
> guess.
>
> The Red and Blue feature newly mixed (some dating back to 2015 and
> many as recent as 2023) versions of all the original songs, plus the
> much ballyhooed 'final song' "Now and Then" tacked on at the end of
> the Blue album to give completists some reason to buy them I suppose.

The Blue/Red Album remixes are interesting so I will have to check them
out.

"Now & Then" is not a song to set the world alight though... for a
'Beatles' song it's average at best. I suppose apart from it being a
cash-in it has got people talking about The Beatles again,
everywhere!!! So that is a good thing.

Re: 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues

<f7246e2a-0c4a-4ff5-add7-9694a9f36825n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6037&group=rec.music.beatles#6037

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertkosky69@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 22:03 UTC

On Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 2:00:56 PM UTC-7, Blueshirt wrote:
> super70s wrote:
>
> > Dropping Nov. 10. I remember well back in '73 when these albums first
> > came out but they had no appeal to me over the original studio albums.
> >
> > I guess I can't complain about them too much because I always went
> > for 'Hot Rocks' Vols. 1 and 2 for my early Rolling Stones fix over
> > the original Stones albums (up to Sticky Fingers). I can understand
> > where the fans of the Red and Blue albums are coming from especially
> > if you were too young to appreciate the original albums back in 1973;
> > these two albums still have a lot of sentimental value to many I
> > guess.
> >
> > The Red and Blue feature newly mixed (some dating back to 2015 and
> > many as recent as 2023) versions of all the original songs, plus the
> > much ballyhooed 'final song' "Now and Then" tacked on at the end of
> > the Blue album to give completists some reason to buy them I suppose.
> The Blue/Red Album remixes are interesting so I will have to check them
> out.
>
> "Now & Then" is not a song to set the world alight though... for a
> 'Beatles' song it's average at best. I suppose apart from it being a
> cash-in it has got people talking about The Beatles again,
> everywhere!!! So that is a good thing.

It's what I expected, unfortunately.

It would never have occurred to me to attempt to transform that Lennon demo into a Beatles song. "Now and Then" is not Beatles-era Lennon. The demo is the product of a *shadow* of Lennon wrought by Yoko and excessive drug use. It is the dreary, pathetic, pleading-to-Mommy, infantilized, emasculated Lennon.

It would have fit among the other Odes to Ono on Mind Games or Double Fantasy. There's nothing Beatles about it.

Now and Then (was 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues)

<ui1a9g$11c4s$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6043&group=rec.music.beatles#6043

From: chrispam1@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Now and Then (was 'Red' and 'Blue' reissues)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 23:10:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 23:10 UTC

On 2023-11-02, super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> ...plus the much ballyhooed 'final song' "Now and Then" tacked on at
> the end of the Blue album...

Not the greatest song, but what a treat to hear John Lennon's beautiful
voice so clearly. It took some major magic to translate this unfinished
demo into a whole track. (I'm waiting for the three-hour documentary
about how in the world Peter Jackson, et al managed all this.)

It's a shame this technology did not exist when they recreated Free as a
Bird and Real Love. Nice songs, but in both those tracks Lennon's vocals
are almost buried in the mix.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chrispam1@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.