One Bell System - it used to work before they installed the Dimension!

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

SubjectAuthor
* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
+* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
|+* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
||`* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightKerrison
|| `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightKerrison
||  `- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightAndrew Clarke
|`* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightDan Koren
| `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
|  `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightDan Koren
|   `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightvhorowitz
|    +- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
|    +- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightGraham
|    +- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightMarc S
|    `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightDan Koren
|     `* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightvhorowitz
|      +* Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightOscar
|      |+- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightMarc S
|      |+- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightMarc S
|      |`- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightDan Koren
|      `- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightMarc S
`- Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonightDan Koren

1
Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<29dd99f0-c4b6-4d8a-8397-9f6f7c7b98een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58565&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58565

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 01:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:23 UTC

It was a night to remember. And a night to ruminate. Michael Tilson Thomas, in what is likely his last weekend standing on the dais at Davies Symphony Hall, appeared weak, unstable and wavering as he walked in from th wings. But once settled and the downbeat given and having found the groove what I found was a _deeply_ moving interpretation of the Ninth Symphony by Beethoven. It was perfectly cosigned by the San Franciscans, orchestra and chorus, as well as the superb young soloists charged with leading the way in the final movement. Altogether an incredible essay in collaborative music-making between MTT and SFS. In attendance was Mayor London Breed, who looked beautiful in an elegant red dress as she congratulated the Maestro and proclaimed from the stage that the street outside Davis Symphony Hall will heretofore be renamed MTT Way. A roar of applause erupted and then MTT took the microphone to haltingly, charmingly thank her for the recognition and to remind the audience that it takes two to tango, musicians and audience, and that "the mystery and the miracle of it all" is always a special occasion to cherish. This listener was in the 9th row center—with perfect sound coming at me, in every way; I was in a state of mild disbelief at the excellence of sound in this traditionally dreadful hall—and I was moved to tears a few times throughout this great Ninth. The performance was _that_ good, a very personal interpretation that flagged in places, but was clearly a nod to end-of-life.

MTT, we love you. Legend.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<7ee73b34-4ac6-460f-8905-4c9b8c35585fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58566&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58566

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 01:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

Accurate, well-written review from Thurs. 10/19 performance. I saw 10/19.

<< Review: An ailing Michael Tilson Thomas makes an emotion-laden return to Davies Symphony Hall
By Joshua Kosman
October 20, 2023

In his first concert as music director of the San Francisco Symphony, in September 1995, Michael Tilson Thomas led the orchestra in a dynamic, revelatory performance of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony. It was an unforgettable experience, one that established the pattern for the 25 years of musical adventure that followed.

Beethoven’s Ninth was on the agenda once again Thursday, Oct. 19, when Thomas, now the orchestra’s Music Director Laureate, returned for what seems all too likely to be his final appearance with the orchestra.

It was a rich and emotion-laden occasion, at once an encounter with a familiar musical masterpiece and an opportunity for music lovers in the Bay Area and elsewhere to pay tribute to the man who has given us so many of these over the years.

The circumstances were clearly on the mind of every member of the audience that filled Davies Symphony Hall. In August 2021, during the COVID-19 shutdown that disrupted plans for his final season as music director, Thomas was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme, an aggressive form of brain cancer..

He canceled several months’ worth of musical engagements for surgery and recovery, then returned to performing. During the ensuing two years, with almost miraculous stamina, Thomas conducted to enthusiastic acclaim in New York, London, Miami and elsewhere. Most recently in San Francisco, he led a March performance of Mahler’s Sixth Symphony that was suffused with tragic ferocity.

Thursday’s concert, though, was an acknowledgment that anyone wishing to witness Thomas in action one more time would be well advised to do so now. Retired orchestra members and notables of the classical music industry flocked to Davies like pilgrims to pay their respects, and the hall was as full as it’s been in months.

The standing ovation that greeted Thomas’ first appearance on stage was long and heartfelt. The one that followed the conclusion of the “Ode to Joy” finale some 80 minutes later was even more so. (“Shango Memory,” a 1995 work by the late Berkeley composer Olly Wilson, was originally scheduled to fill out the program, but was dropped to allow Thomas to focus on Beethoven.)

In the evening’s wittiest and most loving homage, members of the orchestra took their final bows in blue, round-rimmed glasses — a nod to the sartorial trademark that Thomas has made his own.

There was no mistaking the evidence of Thomas’ weakened state. He approached the podium haltingly, shepherded by his protégé Teddy Abrams, a Bay Area native who is now the music director of the Louisville Orchestra. He conducted without his familiar physical energy.

At one point, before the third movement, he seemed to have lost his bearings, waiting for principal violist Jonathan Vinocour to orient him on the page of the score.

But as soon as the playing began, the old mastery reasserted itself. Making music is like breathing for Thomas; with the baton in his hand, he seemed to expand, both visibly and audibly, into his fullest and most fluent self.

That was true most gloriously in the symphony’s slow movement, which required less physical exertion and more expressive sensitivity. The movement’s lyrical melodies wove themselves in and out of the texture, as Thomas guided them with a light but effective touch. There were wondrous emphases in the phrasing — at times novel, at times poised to land just as expected — and a sumptuous quality to the movement’s overall shape.

The rest of the symphony offered a heartwarming display of collaboration between Thomas and his longtime musical partners in the orchestra. When Thomas led, the orchestra followed; when he could not, the players stepped up, as if to say, “Maestro, we’ve got your back.”

It made consummate emotional sense. Throughout his time here, Thomas has cultivated a musical ethos of enlightened individualism — the idea that although the conductor was there to serve as a focal point, every member of the orchestra was an autonomous artist with something to contribute. And now here he was, reaping the results of that approach.

For the finale, Thomas and the audience exulted in the contributions of four superb vocal soloists, as well as the Symphony Chorus, which sounded terrific as it celebrated its 50th anniversary along with newly appointed director Jenny Wong.

Baritone Dashon Burton summoned the proceedings to order with an authoritative cry of “O Freunde!” (“O friends!”) leading into the demand for a joyous strain of music. Soprano Angel Blue and tenor Ben Bliss each faced down Beethoven’s vocal demands with solo turns of beauty and clarity, and mezzo-soprano Tamara Mumford brought her velvety tone to the ensemble.

Beethoven conducted the premiere of his Ninth Symphony in Vienna in 1824, despite being completely deaf by then. According to some versions of the story, he was unaware of the tumultuous applause that had greeted his unorthodox masterpiece until the mezzo-soprano soloist, tears streaming down her cheeks, turned the old man to face the audience.

It was hard not to think of that incident as Mumford took Thomas by the arm and helped him down from the podium to face his audience. Like Beethoven, Thomas knew exactly what he had accomplished, and he knew — and knows — how deeply every Bay Area concertgoer loves and appreciates him.

Were there tears on this occasion as well? Of course there were.

–Joshua Kosman has covered classical music for the San Francisco Chronicle since 1988, reviewing and reporting on the wealth of orchestral, operatic, chamber and contemporary music throughout the Bay Area. He is the co-constructor of the weekly cryptic crossword puzzle "Out of Left Field," and has repeatedly placed among the top 20 contestants at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament. >>

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/classical/review-sf-symphony-michael-tilson-thomas-beethoven-18429843

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<77b595ea-7627-4edc-94eb-f775b4b1e5d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58567&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58567

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 01:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:31 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 1:30:09 AM, Oscar wrote:

> Accurate, well-written review from Thurs. 10/19 performance. I saw 10/19.

**Rather, I saw last night's performance 10/21.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<2038ceb6-8091-4f27-b80e-487cfda83663n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58571&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58571

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:59:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: kerrison126-spartan@yahoo.co.uk (Kerrison)
 by: Kerrison - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:59 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 9:31:14 AM UTC+1, Oscar wrote:
> On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 1:30:09 AM, Oscar wrote:
> >
> > Accurate, well-written review from Thurs. 10/19 performance. I saw 10/19.
> **Rather, I saw last night's performance 10/21.

Thanks to YouTube, we can see MTT in some memorable performances from the past. Here he is with the San Francisco Symphony conducting 'The Rite of Spring' for a 5,000-strong audience in London's Royal Albert Hall during the annual summer Proms season in 2000. We also get a couple of encores ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJf5TEfmS-U&t=6s

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<b531407c-f487-40cd-aa53-43f738118b54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58583&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58583

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: kerrison126-spartan@yahoo.co.uk (Kerrison)
 by: Kerrison - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:46 UTC

On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 1:59:36 PM UTC+1, Kerrison wrote:
> On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 9:31:14 AM UTC+1, Oscar wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 1:30:09 AM, Oscar wrote:
> > >
> > > Accurate, well-written review from Thurs. 10/19 performance. I saw 10/19.
> > **Rather, I saw last night's performance 10/21.

> Thanks to YouTube, we can see MTT in some memorable performances from the past. Here he is with the San Francisco Symphony conducting 'The Rite of Spring' for a 5,000-strong audience in London's Royal Albert Hall during the annual summer Proms season in 2000. We also get a couple of encores ...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJf5TEfmS-U&t=6s

And here he is at the age of 25, in one of his earliest TV appearances, conducting the Boston SO in Sibelius No.4 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPHuQel3u8&t=2s

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<3f84747b-64da-4d30-a05d-d05713f3a346n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58602&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58602

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 06:52 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 1:23:11 AM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:

> I was in a state of mild disbelief at the
> excellence of sound in this traditionally
> dreadful hall

Countless high tech band aids have been
applied to Davies Hall to make it sound
like Sheldon Hall.

As to the proposal to rename Grove St.
MTT Way, it seems absurd the city will
name a street after him. How about
naming the venue the "Hadley Hertz
Cameron Dobrowen Monteux Jordá
Krips Ozawa de Waart Blomstedt
Thomas Hall", in fairness to all the
condutors who fought this orchestra?
This is not longer than the names of
many legal firms.

Cheers

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<5ab46888-b46f-451f-a18f-35db6913dde3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58604&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58604

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 23:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 06:56 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 1:30:09 AM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:

> Accurate, well-written review
> from Thurs. 10/19 performance.

What is an "accurate" review?
Art reviews are subjective by
definition. Enlighten us.

dk

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<c6077ce9-fa38-4a53-8cf0-95e25c36531fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58608&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58608

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:55 UTC

On Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 11:56:18 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> What is an "accurate" review?
> Art reviews are subjective by
> definition. Enlighten us.

According to what I heard and witnessed. You are an armchair jockey, and are behaving like Tom Deacon, I may add, may God bless his everlasting soul.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<102933b6-d07b-45f5-866b-4dc016f754e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58609&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58609

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:09 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 3:55:44 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 11:56:18 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
>
> > What is an "accurate" review?
> > Art reviews are subjective by
> > definition. Enlighten us.
>
> According to what I heard and witnessed.

Ducking as usual. You clearly cannot stand
having your notions questioned, let alone
challenged.

> You are an armchair jockey, and are behaving
> like Tom Deacon, I may add, may God bless
> his everlasting soul.

During my brief visit to this planet I have been
accused of many things, however "behaving like
Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.

Cheers

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<da4bdcb3-f9d4-4bc5-a56c-28ef828007d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58624&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58624

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 15:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: vladhorowitz@hotmail.com (vhorowitz)
 by: vhorowitz - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:31 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 3:55:44 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 11:56:18 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> >
> > > What is an "accurate" review?
> > > Art reviews are subjective by
> > > definition. Enlighten us.
> >
> > According to what I heard and witnessed.
> Ducking as usual. You clearly cannot stand
> having your notions questioned, let alone
> challenged.
> > You are an armchair jockey, and are behaving
> > like Tom Deacon, I may add, may God bless
> > his everlasting soul.
> During my brief visit to this planet I have been
> accused of many things, however "behaving like
> Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.
>
> Cheers

That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular bonhomie and generosity. He felt great camaraderie towards every cockroach (RMCR poster) that he ground beneath his heel.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<4c08075d-d45b-4b62-8ee4-508a76b929b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58625&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58625

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 20:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 03:32 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 3:31:12 PM, vhorowitz wrote:

> That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular bonhomie and generosity. He felt great camaraderie
> towards every cockroach (RMCR poster) that he ground beneath his heel.

Well said. Hear, hear!

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<29l%M.16754$n4d9.9113@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58626&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58626

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: g.stereo@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:25:34 -0600
 by: Graham - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 04:25 UTC

On 2023-10-28 4:31 p.m., vhorowitz wrote:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:

>>> According to what I heard and witnessed.
>> Ducking as usual. You clearly cannot stand
>> having your notions questioned, let alone
>> challenged.
>>> You are an armchair jockey, and are behaving
>>> like Tom Deacon, I may add, may God bless
>>> his everlasting soul.
>> During my brief visit to this planet I have been
>> accused of many things, however "behaving like
>> Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular bonhomie and generosity. He felt great camaraderie towards every cockroach (RMCR poster) that he ground beneath his heel.

Here's Tom's obit:
https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/theglobeandmail/name/tom-deacon-obituary?id=47089186

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<60b7f465-090b-4ce1-b681-1f83b1019d18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58627&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58627

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 23:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: marcs12212@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:06 UTC

vhorowitz schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Oktober 2023 um 00:31:12 UTC+2:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:

> > > According to what I heard and witnessed.
> > Ducking as usual. You clearly cannot stand
> > having your notions questioned, let alone
> > challenged.
> > > You are an armchair jockey, and are behaving
> > > like Tom Deacon, I may add, may God bless
> > > his everlasting soul.
> > During my brief visit to this planet I have been
> > accused of many things, however "behaving like
> > Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.
> >
> > Cheers
> That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular bonhomie and generosity. He felt great camaraderie towards every cockroach (RMCR poster) that he ground beneath his heel.

I suppose you mean Deacon's avuncular bonhomie and generosity towards the "Palestinians" and their cause... he really did feel a lot of camaraderie towards them; would probably blame Israel or at least hold Israel partly responsible for the terror Hamas unleashed over Israel recently... one would wish he grounded them beneath his heel, but instead, being the narcissist that he was, he used them to inflate his ego futher...

Deacon was a major cockroach... Dan with all his mistakes would have never sided with the "Palestinians"; and Dan also has better taste in music. Deacon is not missed.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<4629b1cb-a33c-4fcb-943a-837f1ca84447n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58628&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58628

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 12:21:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 19:21 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 3:31:12 PM UTC-7, vhorowitz wrote:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
>
> > During my brief visit to this planet I have been
> > accused of many things, however "behaving like
> > Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.
>
> That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular
> bonhomie and generosity.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else could provide
actual examples of TD's "bonhomie" or "generosity".

dk

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<4b4b8c1b-05c3-4c7f-b4e1-dd9b8dfbd0a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58629&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58629

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:02:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: vladhorowitz@hotmail.com (vhorowitz)
 by: vhorowitz - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 2:21:40 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 3:31:12 PM UTC-7, vhorowitz wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 6:09:09 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
> >
> > > During my brief visit to this planet I have been
> > > accused of many things, however "behaving like
> > > Tom Deacon" befuddles anyone's imagination.
> >
> > That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular
> > bonhomie and generosity.
> I would appreciate if you or anyone else could provide
> actual examples of TD's "bonhomie" or "generosity".
>
> dk

That was definitely a joke on my part. However biting and laser directed it is, it’s obvious that you have a sense of humor, where is TD most assuredly surely did not!

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<a8f3ed0f-d721-48e7-a559-814295d294cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58631&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58631

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: oscaredwardwilliamson@gmail.com (Oscar)
 by: Oscar - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:21 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:02:35 PM, vhorowitz wrote:

> That was definitely a joke on my part. However biting and laser directed it is, it’s obvious that you have a sense of humor, where is TD most assuredly surely did not!

And yet—and YET!—teedee was a more valued and integral part of the group, of course, in spite of his abhorrent views on Jews and world Jewry in toto. He had wit, intelligence, insider info, and passion. Whereas deekay is a bit off his rocker, floods the zone with endless posts, is pedantic and argumentative to a fault, and a will not let a sleeping dog lay.. Deekay!

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<17c3c7f7-b42a-4640-b8c4-a4f305449f24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58637&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58637

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:29:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 04:29 UTC

On Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 9:46:22 AM UTC+11, Kerrison wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 1:59:36 PM UTC+1, Kerrison wrote:

> > > **Rather, I saw last night's performance 10/21.
>
> > Thanks to YouTube, we can see MTT in some memorable performances from the past. Here he is with the San Francisco Symphony conducting 'The Rite of Spring' for a 5,000-strong audience in London's Royal Albert Hall during the annual summer Proms season in 2000. We also get a couple of encores ...
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJf5TEfmS-U&t=6s
> And here he is at the age of 25, in one of his earliest TV appearances, conducting the Boston SO in Sibelius No.4 ...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPHuQel3u8&t=2s

Much too young. He should have worked as a repetiteur for thirty years before aspiring to the conductor's podium. At least he's not Finnish.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<f5df262b-050f-4283-bf8e-3f793f3b9064n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=58640&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#58640

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 04:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: marcs12212@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:13 UTC

Oscar schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Oktober 2023 um 23:21:05 UTC+1:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:02:35 PM, vhorowitz wrote:
> >
> > That was definitely a joke on my part. However biting and laser directed it is, it’s obvious that you have a sense of humor, where is TD most assuredly surely did not!
> And yet—and YET!—teedee was a more valued and integral part of the group, of course, in spite of his abhorrent views on Jews and world Jewry in toto. He had wit, intelligence, insider info, and passion. Whereas deekay is a bit off his rocker, floods the zone with endless posts, is pedantic and argumentative to a fault, and a will not let a sleeping dog lay. Deekay!

You really have lost your moral compass... defending a virulent antisemite like little deacky, while making a big fuss out of sth (Dan's natics) completely neglectable... Joke's on you.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<8d9d3040-1b1c-43d6-ad8d-9b00b7cded74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63043&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63043

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 03:46:33 -0800 (PST)
From: marcs12212@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 11:46 UTC

vhorowitz schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Oktober 2023 um 21:02:35 UTC+1:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 2:21:40 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:

> > > That’s true Dan, you’re lacking Deacon’s avuncular
> > > bonhomie and generosity.
> > I would appreciate if you or anyone else could provide
> > actual examples of TD's "bonhomie" or "generosity".
> >
> > dk
> That was definitely a joke on my part. However biting and laser directed it is, it’s obvious that you have a sense of humor, where is TD most assuredly surely did not!

I think I may have misinterpreted your joke as well (I deleted my comment and in this case I don't really remember what I wrote); just wanted to give you props, because this was funny.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<ccf9e841-2e17-4c77-aa60-b5ed755a7431n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63048&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63048

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 04:18:38 -0800 (PST)
From: marcs12212@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:18 UTC

I wonder if Oscar ever thought about the Israelis that were rape-murdered when crying listening to B9 by MTT ;)

Oscar was just being sentimental unfortunately as expressed in his text. Which is okay, but I think it is kind of irritating that people forget about all the suffering in this world when listening to B9... not in the spirit of the music.

Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight

<62e42f93-fcd3-4635-a675-0de9f81dabe5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63062&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63062

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:31:41 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.koren@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 21:31 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 3:21:05 PM UTC-7, Oscar wrote:
> On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 1:02:35 PM, vhorowitz wrote:
> >
> > That was definitely a joke on my part. However biting and laser
> > directed it is, it’s obvious that you have a sense of humor, where
> > is TD most assuredly surely did not!
>
> And yet—and YET!—teedee was a more valued and integral part of
> the group, of course, in spite of his abhorrent views on Jews and
> world Jewry in toto. He had wit, intelligence, insider info, and passion.
> Whereas deekay is a bit off his rocker, floods the zone with endless posts,

Are some of your fingers missing? Is post counting suspended when
you write about Trump and Nixon?

> is pedantic and argumentative to a fault, and a will not let a sleeping
> dog lay. Deekay!

I have been accused of many sins and vices, however being "pedantic"
has never been one of them. And why should anyone tolerate sleeping
dogs ?!?

Cheers

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Michael Tilson Thomas moved me to tears tonight