Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:16:05 -0800
From: plutedpup@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: Ades Inferno: more than a quotation of Liszt
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
 by: Pluted Pup - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 03:16 UTC

The Nonesuch booklet to Ades says he uses
quotations from Liszt, but Dante has more than
a quotation of Liszt. The 11th movement of
Inferno is titled:

XII. Thieves -- Devoured By Reptiles

But it would be more accurate if titled:

Liszt: Grand Galop Chromatique (arranged Ades)

It's a cute idea, orchestrate the Grand Galop Chromatique
from a piano piece into a ballet.

I wonder what the Paganini Etudes would look like as a
ballet or the Fantasy On B.A.C.H.

Re: Ades Inferno: more than a quotation of Liszt

<uqpkq4$11lsp$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63711&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63711

From: paoloapesenti@gmail.com (PPeso)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Re: Ades Inferno: more than a quotation of Liszt
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 01:47:32 -0500
 by: PPeso - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 06:47 UTC

On 2/15/2024 10:16 PM, Pluted Pup wrote:

> The Nonesuch booklet to Ades says he uses
> quotations from Liszt, but Dante has more than
> a quotation of Liszt. The 11th movement of
> Inferno is titled:
>
> XII. Thieves -- Devoured By Reptiles
>
> But it would be more accurate if titled:
>
> Liszt: Grand Galop Chromatique (arranged Ades)
>
> It's a cute idea, orchestrate the Grand Galop Chromatique
> from a piano piece into a ballet.
>
> I wonder what the Paganini Etudes would look like as a
> ballet or the Fantasy On B.A.C.H.

Cute yes, original not exactly, depending on how one defines the
boundary between "arranger" and "composer". Just to consider a few other
ballets based on previous piano music, La Boutique Fantastique (or
Rossini arranged Respighi) and Les Sylphides (or Chopin arranged
Glazunov) come to mind. Not to mention of course the wonderful
neoclassical cannibalizations by Stravinsky as ballet "arranger" of
Pergolesi (and Gallo, and Wassenaer, and Parisotti, and Monza), or
Tchaikovsky' Fairy's Kiss...