From: oe3@aol.com (Oscar)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Melodiya titles on CD a thing of the past?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:05:16 +0000
 by: Oscar - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:05 UTC

For my first post on usenet via novaBBS, an r.m.c.r. _exclusive_

Two weeks ago I noticed PrestoMusic has stopped stocking titles on the Melodiya label on CD. This is unusual, as I had always counted on an annual Melodiya sale to catch up on any desirable titles in the catalog. AlsoL Melodiya discs tend not to stay in-print for very long, so better get whilst the gettin's good, e.g. The Anthology of Russian Symphonic Music boxes went in-and-out-of-print pretty quickly. (I missed out on the second one.) At any rate, I sent Presto a message inquiring into the Melodiya situation via online form on its web site. After a few days I received the following reply on Monday 2/19:

<< Thank you for your email.

My colleague has responded and said Naxos stopped supplying Melodiya last year. Unfortunately we don't currently have access to the physical catalogue.

Kind regards,

Presto Music
-Charlotte >>

There ya have it. I looked at Melodiya's web site and do not see any mention of CD for titles issued in recent months.

Re: Melodiya titles on CD a thing of the past?

<DNucndMaH6rsv0X4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63817&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63817

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:43:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Melodiya titles on CD a thing of the past?
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdberger@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:43 UTC

On 2/21/2024 9:05 PM, Oscar wrote:
> For my first post on usenet via novaBBS, an r.m.c.r. _exclusive_
>
> Two weeks ago I noticed PrestoMusic has stopped stocking titles on the Melodiya label on CD. This is unusual, as I had always counted on an annual Melodiya sale to catch up on any desirable titles in the catalog. AlsoL Melodiya discs tend not to stay in-print for very long, so better get whilst the gettin's good, e.g. The Anthology of Russian Symphonic Music boxes went in-and-out-of-print pretty quickly. (I missed out on the second one.) At any rate, I sent Presto a message inquiring into the Melodiya situation via online form on its web site. After a few days I received the following reply on Monday 2/19:
>
> << Thank you for your email.
> My colleague has responded and said Naxos stopped supplying Melodiya last year. Unfortunately we don't currently have access to the physical catalogue.
> Kind regards,
>
> Presto Music
> -Charlotte >>
>
> There ya have it. I looked at Melodiya's web site and do not see any mention of CD for titles issued in recent months.

Well, at least they outlasted the USSR.

Re: Melodiya titles on CD a thing of the past?

<ir_BN.9507903$ee1.4458542@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=63821&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#63821

From: christophjohansen@mailservice.invalid (Chris J.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:28:30 GMT
 by: Chris J. - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:28 UTC

On 22 Feb 2024 Frank Berger wrote:

>> There ya have it. I looked at Melodiya's web site and do not see any
>> mention of CD for titles issued in recent months.

Can they still sell their CDs to people in Western countries?

> Well, at least they outlasted the USSR.

Are you sure? Look at the country code in their URL :-)

https://melody.su/

A sign of things to come (back) under Vladimir the Terrible? :-(

Chris