Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 06:40:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Nishi Saimaru Shows Fred Seaman the Ropes
From: norbertkosky69@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:40 UTC

Frederic Seaman says that his first day of working for the Lennons began in this way:

When I reported for work the next morning I met the assistant I would be replacing, a Japanese photographer named Nishi. He had been working for the Lennons since 1975 and was now going back to Japan to get married. Nishi told me in halting English that he did not have much time to show me the ropes and that we had better get started right. We went to a garage located in the basement of an adjoining apartment building, the Mayfair, where we picked up the "company care," a battered, dark-green Chrysler station wagon.

We cruised around the neighborhood, slipping an sliding in the snow -- the car's wheels were complwtely bald and the brakes were sluggish -- as Nishi showed me some of the places where I would be shopping. He introduced me to the shopkeepers, explaining that John and Yoko had charge accounts at a local pharmacy, hardware store, cleaner's, stationary store, and health food emporium. We also stopped by a nondescript brownstone. Nishi jumped out of the car and disappeared into the building, from which he soon emerged, clutching a small brown bag. At first, he was tight-lipped about this stop, but after some prodding, he confided to me that the bag contained several Thai sticks.

"Only the best for John," Nishi exclaimed.

-- from Frederic Seaman's The Last Days of John Lennon