From: nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com (Norbert)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: John's Rhythm Guitar -- a Harsh Assessment
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:10:25 +0000
 by: Norbert - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:10 UTC

"but what about [John Lennon's] guitar playing? Wasn't he one of rock's greatest rhythm guiarsts? Tat claim would be hard to judge from the Beatles' records because John is always hidden inside the mix. You hear Paul on bass, George on lead, Ringo on drums -- but where is John? It is not until later years, when he struck out on his own, and later still, when his demos came floating to the surface, that you could finally judge Lennon as a guitarist. And then two things are unmistakable: he plays with an iron-fingered rigidity that summons up visions of Parkinson's Disease, and when he departs from rudimentary strumming to essay melodic figures, he betrays a clumsy ineptitude."

Re: John's Rhythm Guitar -- a Harsh Assessment

<slmh2jh2bikkfibf5pj8e15t05p5v141ut@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6684&group=rec.music.beatles#6684

From: BookLover@invalid.org (Book Lover)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: John's Rhythm Guitar -- a Harsh Assessment
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 06:14:07 -0400
 by: Book Lover - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:14 UTC

He can be lively as in All My Loving
Often his chord changes are loose but add color
He sometimes strums vigorously for emphasis

Maybe not the best, but I like it

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:10:25 +0000, nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com
(Norbert) wrote:

>"but what about [John Lennon's] guitar playing? Wasn't he one of rock's greatest rhythm guiarsts? Tat claim would be hard to judge from the Beatles' records because John is always hidden inside the mix. You hear Paul on bass, George on lead, Ringo on drums -- but where is John? It is not until later years, when he struck out on his own, and later still, when his demos came floating to the surface, that you could finally judge Lennon as a guitarist. And then two things are unmistakable: he plays with an iron-fingered rigidity that summons up visions of Parkinson's Disease, and when he departs from rudimentary strumming to essay melodic figures, he betrays a clumsy ineptitude."

Re: John's Rhythm Guitar -- a Harsh Assessment

<7e8d956f36526bbb2670cb3a07ae08c6@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6691&group=rec.music.beatles#6691

From: nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com (Norbert)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:43:55 +0000
 by: Norbert - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:43 UTC

"All My Loving" has some good guitar from JL.

There are a lot of Youtube videos that attempt to address the question of how good Lennon was as a rhythm guitarist -- and most of the ones I've seen focus on Lennon's early stuff -- his pre-"eating acid like candy" work.