Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Happy Juneteenth
From: kenshain@gmail.com (Just Walkin')
 by: Just Walkin' - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:34 UTC

I remember a few years ago trying to get my teacher's union to sponsor a table at our town's intimate annual Juneteenth Celebration, historically held in our Beloved Community, and featuring the best food and music in town. The neighborliness was an example for all. It would be great community outreach event and help us gather an agenda for our coming school year as we continued our organizing. Without recognition, publicity, or draw, it was hard to get people who didn't share the same identity to participate, let alone pony up the dough. Hardly anyone knew what it was.

Now, years after the MPD murdered George Floyd, we're all about that. Time come, for sure, but with corporate sponsors? And I suppose geezers like me ought to step aside and let last year's naysayers rewrite history and claim its voice. Make a little bank too, na'mean? I guess that's what we've been taught to regard as progress. One step forward, two steps back, and three steps to either side, the choice, at our discretion, demonstrating what we call "Freedom."