Be sure to evaluate the bird-hand/bush ratio.

arts / rec.music.dylan / Re: Interview with Barry Goldberg

SubjectAuthor
* Interview with Barry GoldbergWill Dockery
`- Interview with Barry GoldbergWillie

1
Re: Interview with Barry Goldberg

<a66fc5cc-e5e2-4b4a-a917-bf21519f655bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6772&group=rec.music.dylan#6772

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 00:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Interview with Barry Goldberg
From: will.dockery@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:01 UTC

On Sunday, February 26, 2006 at 11:46:15 PM UTC-5, Patricia Jungwirth wrote:

> [...]
> BG: I got to play with Bob quite by accident. I had come out to
> play with Butterfield, because Michael and Paul had invited me to come and
> play with the band. I was their first keyboard player. I would sit in with
> them all the time.
> When I got to Newport the producer, Paul Rothchild, was really
> obstinate and rude, and said, "Absolutely no organ." He didn't want that
> element, he just wanted the five pieces. Paul and Michael tried to talk to
> him but he was just really against it.
> So I had nowhere to go. I was stuck there, a long way from
> Chicago. One night we were just sitting around and Bob showed up and said,
> "The keyboard player isn't here yet," and Michael said, "There's a great
> keyboard player here in Barry," and Bob said, "You want to come to the
> sound check?" and I said, "Sure," and that's how I got to do it, and it
> worked out great. And then we went on that night. Michael just went nuts,
> he just rammed it right down their throats. He loved those kind of things..
> Bn: What did you think about Dylan's decision to go electric at
> the festival?
> BG: I thought it was an amazingly brave and bold move. Before he
> played, there were fistfights between Alan Lomax and Albert Grossman, which
> was a really ugly scene. Albert really believed in this -- that we were
> gonna plug in no matter what. The time had come. I don't know if he was a
> visionary, but this was it. Butterfield and Dylan plugging in. And the old
> folk crowd, the old guard, was standing fast. They felt so threatened, that
> a new thing was happening -- out with the old and in with the new.
> But it was more about a new frontier of music called folk-rock.
> And electric blues was happening. And so many people got turned on by it.
> But unfortunately the majority of the crowd there were die-hard folkies,
> who didn't want to accept this no matter what. And they wanted to make
> their presence known and make a statement.
> So a lot of people booed, but I remember a lot of people
> cheering, too. It was probably 60 percent booing and 40 percent cheering. I
> don't remember everybody booing, I just remember Michael counting it off
> and saying, "Let's go!" and it was like POW!! -- we went into this
> whirlwind. Mike turned his amp up so loud, he turned it up to nine, just to
> infuriate people even more. Bob was like this warrior. We were all on this
> mission.
> Bn: Full speed ahead.
> BG: Exactly, and that's it. Don't look back, actually.
> Bn: You still have a good friendship with Dylan.
> BG: A very good friendship. I used him on a soundtrack. We did a
> version of "People Get Ready," for a movie called Flashback, with Dennis
> Hopper and Kiefer Sutherland. Bob sang that and I produced it. So we still
> talk a lot.
> Bn: It seems like Dylan was quite an admirer of Mike.
> BG: Oh God, yes. He thought he was the greatest guitar player of

Barry Goldberg, can't remember anything about the album, looking forward to playing it when I get access to a turntable.

Re: Interview with Barry Goldberg

<1ab4385c-ded6-4ccf-b9c4-79e3b7687f42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=6781&group=rec.music.dylan#6781

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 13:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: williamgwilliams@gmail.com (Willie)
 by: Willie - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 20:11 UTC

On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 3:01:43 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> [...]
> > infuriate people even more. Bob was like this warrior. We were all on this
> > mission.
> > Bn: Full speed ahead.
> > BG: Exactly, and that's it. Don't look back, actually.
> > Bn: You still have a good friendship with Dylan.
> > BG: A very good friendship. I used him on a soundtrack. We did a
> > version of "People Get Ready," for a movie called Flashback, with Dennis
> > Hopper and Kiefer Sutherland. Bob sang that and I produced it. So we still
> > talk a lot.
> > Bn: It seems like Dylan was quite an admirer of Mike.
> > BG: Oh God, yes. He thought he was the greatest guitar player of
> > all.
> > http://www.bluespower.com/arbn06.htm
> Barry Goldberg, can't remember anything about the album, looking forward to playing it when I get access to a turntable.

Never heard about this. It's pretty nice: https://open.spotify.com/album/0MdAvLMrTjF9ieXYgnkCXM

Lots of mid-60's Bob influence (I guess it was recorded/released in 1974).

Wikipedia tells us that "Goldberg is a nephew of Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg."